G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Questions about g35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about g35 coupe

well guys, I just bought this g35 after having so many problems with my 2000 civic and wanted to know a few things about the car that i've been reading about.

1. Brakes. Yes I hear they seem to go out very often from the google searching i've done so what I would like to know is what do you guys do in order to fix or prevent this problem? Do you guys get aftermarket rotors/brake pads or just suck it up and stick with oem? As you can tell in pic I have the brembos.

2. My g35 is a 03 model and has the dreaded dash controls dead which are the comfort controls and bose stereo. I've read a lot about fixes but not sure exactly on what to do. My steering wheel still works as far as audio but the a/c controls go to 77 on max air flow as soon as the car starts and won't shut off. From the research i'm assuming it's the circuit board controls which are in series or hooked up together. i've read about ordering an aftermarket dash kit by metra for about $160 and an aftermarket Pioneer bluetooth double din stereo and I hear that seems to fix the problem but I would like to know if anybody out there has had other better alternatives as to how to address the issue. I woould hate to spend 1k$+ to take it to the dealer and have it go out on me after the warranty expires...So i'd appreciate it if you guys would pitch in.
3.Lastly I would like to know of any other things I should keep in mind when driving the vehicle or what to inspect on it since I recently bought it and i'm clueless besides changing the oil and air filters. Any other problems common with the 03 g35's that I should know of?

I really like this car and always wanted one and now that I have it I want to make the most of it and keep it in tip top shape. I like to prevent whatever I can and keep up with reg maintenance. It's kinda discouraging sometimes when I hear so many people complain about the same problems on the g and the last thing I would want to do is get rid of the car(i'm a big car guy so letting her go would really suck). Anyways thanks guys/girls for any and all imput and here is a pic of her getting cleaned up and cleaning those hazy headlights(ignore masking tape)

Last edited by xShadowx; 08-30-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 239 Likes on 159 Posts
Congrats on your purchase.

All cars have their issues.. Only thing you gotta look out for is the axle clicking.. search our forum for some more info..

Start by checking the FUSES if your controls aren't working.

Brake Pad life is determined by driving style.. some people drive like *****.. We've had people go through pads every few thousands to guys going 20k with them.. Again just driving style. Trail braking, late braking, hard braking, highway driving, local, traffic, track, etc..

- Eric

Old 08-31-2011, 05:55 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Welcome to the G community from a fellow Austinite!!

Don't get discouraged by the issues you read about. All cars have their problems and the G isn't immune. Fortunately the motor and transmissions are very reliable except for the 05-06 rev up motors. The radio issue is probably most costly as there aren't a lot of possible solutions to fix it other than getting an aftermarket radio. I have heard of places that can repair the circuit board on the stock unit, but don't know where to send you to look. The problem has something to do with a ribbon cable that connects to the master circuit board in the unit I believe.

On another note check out our local club at centexvq.com. We have a fantastic community in Austin and would love to have you join us. I'm a mod over there so PM me if you have any questions.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Welcome to DRIVER, nice clean IP coupe! Brakes, they were an issue with the first gen G35s, aftermarket rotors/pads are the easy solution which will double the life of the pads....OE pads are a PIA. The longer you're here you'll begin to notice certain member complain about everything, try very hard to ignore their threads. Enjoy your new ride.... SEARCH is your friend, the answers are there!
Gary

Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by CarBodyKits
Congrats on your purchase.

All cars have their issues.. Only thing you gotta look out for is the axle clicking.. search our forum for some more info..

Start by checking the FUSES if your controls aren't working.

Brake Pad life is determined by driving style.. some people drive like *****.. We've had people go through pads every few thousands to guys going 20k with them.. Again just driving style. Trail braking, late braking, hard braking, highway driving, local, traffic, track, etc..

- Eric
ty eric for your useful info. I've never heard about the axle but I will be looking into that in the forums.

I havent checked fuses so i'm crossing my fingers and hoping that's it. I did try to remove negative side of battery and then putting it back on but with no luck.

I completely agree on the brakes portion you mentioned. Hopefully i'm one of the 20k people .

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Welcome to the G community from a fellow Austinite!!

Don't get discouraged by the issues you read about. All cars have their problems and the G isn't immune. Fortunately the motor and transmissions are very reliable except for the 05-06 rev up motors. The radio issue is probably most costly as there aren't a lot of possible solutions to fix it other than getting an aftermarket radio. I have heard of places that can repair the circuit board on the stock unit, but don't know where to send you to look. The problem has something to do with a ribbon cable that connects to the master circuit board in the unit I believe.

On another note check out our local club at centexvq.com. We have a fantastic community in Austin and would love to have you join us. I'm a mod over there so PM me if you have any questions.
i'm definately gonna go check it out. I think i found a good place in austin to fix the dash. It's very widely known (mothers window tint). They do stereo stuff too so i'm hoping I can get an estimate this weekend and take care of it once and for all. I hate not having control of my a/c and when to turn it off or lower it. I'm pretty sure I can learn a lot from the local g owners and get some tips on maintaining the car.
Originally Posted by gary c
Welcome to DRIVER, nice clean IP coupe! Brakes, they were an issue with the first gen G35s, aftermarket rotors/pads are the easy solution which will double the life of the pads....OE pads are a PIA. The longer you're here you'll begin to notice certain member complain about everything, try very hard to ignore their threads. Enjoy your new ride.... SEARCH is your friend, the answers are there!
Gary
ty gary i'll definitely use the search button a lot and try to soak up as much info as I can.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking coupe! Ive had the messed up radio climate controls too. Only wy I resolved it was switching the circuit board with someone that didn't have the problem......yet

Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Well I took my g to the dealer. Wasn't very happy... about 14-1500 on new dash and 2600-2700 for brakes. Turns out that the previous owner didn't know you aren't supposed to resurface the rotors(for w.e reason I don't know of) and so now they're squealing a bit. Im geting dash fixed tomorrow at a audio place to fix the dash controls permanently with lifetime guarantee so i'm happy about that. Brakes is the only thing left besides the dash. Sucks....I gotta get new brembo rotors and pads on all 4's. I plan on doing a bit of shopping because there is no way i'm paying that much money for just a brake job.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Your brakes are an easy fix, it won't cost you near that much to replace the rotors. Check our MARKETPLACE under vendor brakes, they sell quality replacement rotors for the Brembo brakes and you can't do better than HAWK HP pads!
Gary

Old 09-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
you don't need to buy a new radio. the grounds on the circuit board in the bose radio are bad. There's a guy that fixes them for $150 on ebay. Since he's in socal, i went to his shop and got it fixed for $150 plus $30 install. It literally took the guy 20min to fix.

once he fixed the grounds on the bose radio, the radio worked perfect and i had control of my ac controls again. it's been working fine for the last 3months.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Your brakes are an easy fix, it won't cost you near that much to replace the rotors. Check our MARKETPLACE under vendor brakes, they sell quality replacement rotors for the Brembo brakes and you can't do better than HAWK HP pads!
Gary
thanks gary i'll be looking into it. I really appreciate your continuous advice. especially since i'm new around here and still trying to learn the ropes.

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
you don't need to buy a new radio. the grounds on the circuit board in the bose radio are bad. There's a guy that fixes them for $150 on ebay. Since he's in socal, i went to his shop and got it fixed for $150 plus $30 install. It literally took the guy 20min to fix.

once he fixed the grounds on the bose radio, the radio worked perfect and i had control of my ac controls again. it's been working fine for the last 3months.
I wish I knew that before I dropped it off at the place. I'm clueless when it comes down to messing with the stereo and rather not screw anything up even if it sounds simple. I don't feel confident enough to start tinkering with electronics since I just got the car. The only reason I didn't do the dash at the infiniti.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:22 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by xShadowx
Well I took my g to the dealer. Wasn't very happy... about 14-1500 on new dash and 2600-2700 for brakes. Turns out that the previous owner didn't know you aren't supposed to resurface the rotors(for w.e reason I don't know of) and so now they're squealing a bit. Im geting dash fixed tomorrow at a audio place to fix the dash controls permanently with lifetime guarantee so i'm happy about that. Brakes is the only thing left besides the dash. Sucks....I gotta get new brembo rotors and pads on all 4's. I plan on doing a bit of shopping because there is no way i'm paying that much money for just a brake job.
haha well you found out what a lot of us already knew, Austin Inifniti is mostly worthless. All of the parts guys are friends of mine going back 10 years including the parts manager. They offer me their employee discount (50% off) on parts so that's helpful at times. Other times not so much. I needed to replace a headlight ballast a month or so ago and they wanted $530 regular price or $265 with the discount for one. So I hit up this wonderful forum and got 2 shipped to me for $100 so the dealership wasn't my best option obviously.

Mother's is a good place for tint, but I've never heard of anyone who took their car there for audio so I don't have a clue what kind of work they do. On the brakes DO NOT let AI fvck you with their prices. You should be able to get a full set of rotors for around $300 (yes even for Brembos) and pads both F/R for less than $125 if you shop carefully. Hit up R1concepts or PM several of the vendors on here and comparison shop. Most of our vendors will price match comparable products so be thorough in your search. I'd be happy to help you install them for a modest fee.