G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is it okay to down shift alot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VinNYCG
Can you rev-match on an 5at?
Nope. It requires the ability to disconnect the engine from the gearbox which never happens on an automatic.

The new DSG gearboxes from Audi will rev match on the downshift...but they are true automatic manuals. Not just automatics with a manual option and aggressive shift points.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Ok so what about all of us who haven't been rev-matching? I have 5k miles on my coupe and I've been downshifting by gradually letting out the clutch, has this been killing my clutch and syncros? Also I've occasionally tried rev-matching but more often then not I've reved a bit to much, and when I let the clutch out the jerking motion is more notable then it is when I don't rev-match...I guess I'll be trying what MRMCDERM suggested from now on...But honestly, how much damage have I done? I've been very careful, I just haven't been rev-matching...Thanks guys

Old 12-15-2004, 01:41 AM
I know you guys have six speeds, but please focus back to my topic . Is it okay to downshift in auto. For example from 3 > 2, rev the car up to 4000rpm. Does it hurt the car that way? Again, i am driving a auto shift.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
g35Tuning
since u only have 5k on ur car, u cant have done much damage, unless ur grining gears also. but try to practice rev-matching. one thing that helped me was trying to remember what speeds match what rpm. after a while it becomes 2nd nature
kenempereex:
im dont think u can rev-match in an auto, but i think that downshifting in an auto will wear down ur trannie in the long run

Old 12-15-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by escobar929
g35Tuning
since u only have 5k on ur car, u cant have done much damage, unless ur grining gears also. but try to practice rev-matching. one thing that helped me was trying to remember what speeds match what rpm. after a while it becomes 2nd nature
kenempereex:
im dont think u can rev-match in an auto, but i think that downshifting in an auto will wear down ur trannie in the long run

Escobar929- Thanks for info and the advice...I'll practice it and try to remember speeds with rpm's and gears...I haven't been grinding during my downshifting...I just press in the clutch, downshift, then slowly let the clutch out until it catches...One more question for ya, do you guys use this method of downshifting for slowing down and stopping? Or do you only use it when downshifting to get the rpms in the best possible powerband, right before you smash down on the pedal and take flight on the freeway? Thanks

Old 12-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Tuning
Ok so what about all of us who haven't been rev-matching? I have 5k miles on my coupe and I've been downshifting by gradually letting out the clutch, has this been killing my clutch and syncros? Also I've occasionally tried rev-matching but more often then not I've reved a bit to much, and when I let the clutch out the jerking motion is more notable then it is when I don't rev-match...I guess I'll be trying what MRMCDERM suggested from now on...But honestly, how much damage have I done? I've been very careful, I just haven't been rev-matching...Thanks guys
Teh clutch will wear slightly quicker when you do this. The syncros wear only as you are putting the car into a gear. It is designed to match the speed of the shaft to the speed of the gear so the dogs mesh without grinding. Once the transmission is in a gear, the syncros do absolutely nothing. Essentially, wear to the syncros is dependent on how often you shift and perhaps the timing of the shifts(the closer in speed the shaft is to the gear speed each time you shift, the less wear the syncros see). Double clutching will healp reduce wear, but double-clutching a syncro-mesh transmission is rather pointless. By doing so, you negate the whole reason for engineers coming up with the idea of syncros in the first place.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:35 AM
I downshift by blipping the gas about 500 RPMS from 6th-5th, 5th-4th, and 4th-3rd on normal driving. From 3rd gear to 2nd I blip the gas about 1000 RPMS. It seem to be right on the dot for me.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Tuning
Escobar929- Thanks for info and the advice...I'll practice it and try to remember speeds with rpm's and gears...I haven't been grinding during my downshifting...I just press in the clutch, downshift, then slowly let the clutch out until it catches...One more question for ya, do you guys use this method of downshifting for slowing down and stopping? Or do you only use it when downshifting to get the rpms in the best possible powerband, right before you smash down on the pedal and take flight on the freeway? Thanks
Engine braking is not really something that is or really the most effective way to stop. It used to be done in racing when braking was poor. Modern Disc brakes provide more than adequate braking. I do engine brake more out of laziness on the street as I am able to modulate speed and deceleration to an extent without touching the brakes in traffic, but on the race track, it is not effective at all with modern brakes. Braking for a turn has me rowing through gears(downshifting during a heel-toe) so quickly that there would be little opportunity for engine braking to do anything. What down****ing does help even before getting to the exit of a turn is with throttle steer. In a lower gear, you get better throttle response(or it's effect at the wheels) and makes it much easier to steer with the throttle. Being able to adjust your racing line slightly with the throttle is very important to getting good results through a turn. And it just so happens that a proper heel-toe downshift should put you in the right gear to modulate the throttle during the turn as well as preparing for the exit. And of course I do use it quite a bit in anticipation of the exit of a turn(heel-toe in this case) or accelerating through traffic. Not to mention it seems to impress passengers.

And don't worry so much about trying to watch RPM's. I actually don't. Practice enough and it will become instinctive. I actually listen to the motor. My prior cars all had eshaust systems so it was a bit easier to hear, but luckily the G35C is loud enough to hear. Though it did some getting used to the much lower noise level. In some cases, I actually have to even feel the frequency of the motor if there is too much ambient noise. I'd say it's probably imporoved my abilities slightly.

Old 12-15-2004, 03:01 AM
so hey...we can't downshift in auto???? AR man, taht sucks!!!!

Old 12-15-2004, 06:50 AM
i think for auto....downshifting is fine if you are trying to accelerate..(say you are in 4th gear going 30mph..and you wanna speed up quickly...you can downshift to 3rd and stump on gas)...but from what i read on the forum...downshifting for braking in a auto car can increase transmission wear on the car (not confirmed by infiniti mechanics...wish someone did though)

Old 12-18-2004, 12:16 AM
hello. I have a question. i downshift in a AT, there is a lagging time b4 it actually go into the lower gear. What if i shift down and then give gas right away (like rev up the car). Is it better that way? is it simlar to rev-matching? Sorry, I am that newbie....haha

Old 12-18-2004, 02:55 AM
I think it's possible. Just blip the gas and shift to the lower gear.
However, I think automatics are smooth already downshifting so there is
no point in doing it.

Old 12-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by kenempireex
I know you guys have six speeds, but please focus back to my topic . Is it okay to downshift in auto. For example from 3 > 2, rev the car up to 4000rpm. Does it hurt the car that way? Again, i am driving a auto shift.

oops...I thought you were talking about a 6MT

Heck yeah its ok for you to downshift. It doesn't cause any additional *noticable* wear on the engine (though people will argue that you'll only get 150k instead of 200k out of the motor).

The torque converter is going to absorb a lot of that transition energy...and over time the heat build up may cause the ATF to break down faster. Just adopt a more aggressive replacement schedule

Old 12-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can. The TC has enough slop enabling you to blip the
throttle before the lower gear engages. I do it all the time
when driving AT cars. The G35sedan that the dealer loaned
me was a 5AT and it blipped no problem while downshifting.

It goes like this:
You're in 4th, let's say. Downshift lever to 3rd, blip gas.
the tranny will downshift smoothly to the lower gear.

The 05's come with auto-rev matching (blip throttle) on the
AT's. very cool.

Old 12-18-2004, 05:10 PM
As motivation to 6mt owners that do not match revs..... If you have passengers, you know: The infamous "head bob" between down shifts virtually goes away when you match revs, much more smoother......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it okay to down shift alot?