G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

getting cold.....where do you wash the G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting cold.....where do you wash the G?

its getting extremely cold here on the eastcoast, where do you guys wash your cars? or do you? its tooooo cold to wash it outside. soon enough the water will be freezing on our cars~ any ideaS~??

Old 12-14-2004, 12:29 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g35sammy
its getting extremely cold here on the eastcoast, where do you guys wash your cars? or do you? its tooooo cold to wash it outside. soon enough the water will be freezing on our cars~ any ideaS~??

Go to a carwash that is brusheless or w/e and you trust, i go tot his place called 5 star carwash, they do an amazing job and many high end cars go there!

Old 12-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you want to try to wash your car by yourself, a trick is to fill your bucket with hot/warm water. That way your hand doesn't freeze off when you stick it in the suds.

Just keep in mind that car wash places recycle their water, so it can be dirty and contain salt.

But what do I know about cold? I'm from California.

Old 12-14-2004, 12:38 PM
lol cali. i wish i lived out there!! the weather must be killer -.-

Old 12-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I use the two bucket method, filled with hot water. As I wash the car, hose down sections of the car where the water looks like it will freeze. I also hose down the part of my driveway where I'm standing to prevent it from freezing over, and causing me to slip, and give myself a concussion.

And yes, I'm not aware of any car washes, that utilize reverse osmosis, so even if the water is filtered through a micron filter, it will still be loaded up with tons and tons of salt.

The coldest I've ever washed my car was when it was about 18 degrees outside, which I'm sure is warm to east-coast standards.

Old 12-14-2004, 01:27 PM
i fill my bucket up with hot water, use the water hose outside and wash the car. while i'm washing the car i have the heater on in my garage so as soon as i'm done i back the car into the garage and dry it off in the warm garage. sometimes i even sweat it gets so hot in there. gotta love having a garage.

Old 12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
G SQUAD
mo' hand wash only
ill say it in spanish la manos washos

Old 12-14-2004, 02:25 PM
I used to go to the brushless automatic places to get the salt off when I didn't have a garage.

Now I hand wash it in the driveway, then roll it into my garage where my garage heater is cranking away.

My neighbors think I'm nuts.

I washed the car last night...it was 24 degrees F. Took me 10 min. Its amazing how much faster you move compared to the summer time.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:04 PM
My car only gets washed a few times at a touchless carwash in the winter, during the "warmers" days where the temperature is close to 32 degrees F. I just hope the wax on the car lasts (my last car seem to do OK this way). It sucks. My G is soooo dirty right now and I can't do much about it because it's 7 degrees F outside with a windchill.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:12 PM
my rear bumper is already dirty. salty roads and a lot of water vapor in the exhaust = suxx0rz.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:20 PM
make sure you get that bird crap off Sammy

Old 12-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by damen
i fill my bucket up with hot water, ....
FWIW, I have heard that HOT water is not recommended.
I presume that it is due to the stress shock of hot water on a cold paint surface.
It was recommended to use warm instead.
I'm not sure where I saw this, but I'll see if I can find it.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My suggestion is this. No matter how dirty your car gets.... DON"T TAKE IT TO AN AUTOMATIC CAR WASH!!! Between the noodles & brushes, your car will take a beating. For those of you that think the brushless washes are a free ride... remember this.... some of them have metal rails to guide you in.. BEWARE! They will scratch your rims!!!!! All that said,.. if you can't be sure of a completely Brushless car wash (WITHOUT GUIDING RAILS) wait until the warmer weather.. you have an $35,000 + car.. If you are particular, be patient and do the right method of cleaning it... even if you must go out and freeze your but off doing it yourself.

Last edited by bocatrip; 12-14-2004 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bocatrip
My suggestion is this. No matter how dirty your car gets.... DON"T TAKE IT TO AN AUTOMATIC CAR WASH!!! Between the noodles & brushes, your car will take a beating. For those of you that think the brushless washes are a free ride... remember this.... some of them have metal rails to guide you in.. BEWARE! They will scratch your rims!!!!! All that said,.. if you can't be sure of a completely Brushless car wash (WITHOUT GUIDING RAILS) wait until the warmer weather.. you have an $35,000 + car.. If you are particular, be patient and do the right method of cleaning it... even if you must go out and freeze your but off doing it yourself.
Not to mention brushless/touchless washes use harsh detergents to try and dissolve dirt/grime, which over the long run, will deteriorate your car's finish.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:02 PM
i take my sister's black accord to a brushless carwash. boy can you see the swirl marks on that baby in the sun
i've hand washed my car whenever it was warm. my car was dirty for the past 3 months and haven't washed her at all. i took it to a pretty well known hand car wash around here and my car looked so beautiful all cleaned up.
only problem was that i looked at it in the sun today and a significant number of swirls turned up. i had very little before when i hand washed myself, but what the heck. its too cold and i'm not crazy enough to wash it while freezing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: getting cold.....where do you wash the G?