G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

dealership dilemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dealership dilemma

A friend of mine was wondering if you guys could help, I'm posting this thread for him.

My friend recently bought a 05 '5AT G35 w/ 39xxx miles from the dealership about a few months ago. He still making payments for that car and the bank still has the title. He went on craigs to find another G35 because he's aching to get a 6MT. Another G35 came in the same dealership. Its an 03' 6MT G35 w/ 50xxx miles. Is there a possibility for a straight trade? I was thinking it isn't possible because of the banks system of "negative equity or whatever"..

lmk if you have questions about the cars and please help us with this dealership dilemma.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
A bank would never do that. He would have to sell the car, pay off the loan, and go do the process all over again with the new car.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:27 PM
That's what I was saying, well.. thanks though!

Last edited by aloooha; 09-18-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:06 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I had a different experience. A few years ago I drove a 2001 Pathfinder. Wanted to get back into a car and found a 2001 Maxima I liked. After doing some research on mileage and options. I determined the value of the 2 vehicles was virtually identical. So I asked the dealer if they would do a straight trade. The sales manager drove my truck for about 5 minutes, came back in, and said he'd do the swap. Since they valued the vehicles the same I didn't have to pay sales tax, just title and registration fees. This was at a Porsche dealer mind you so I paid my $187 dollars and drove away a happy man.

I never expected them to say yes, but you never know until you ask.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I had a different experience. A few years ago I drove a 2001 Pathfinder. Wanted to get back into a car and found a 2001 Maxima I liked. After doing some research on mileage and options. I determined the value of the 2 vehicles was virtually identical. So I asked the dealer if they would do a straight trade. The sales manager drove my truck for about 5 minutes, came back in, and said he'd do the swap. Since they valued the vehicles the same I didn't have to pay sales tax, just title and registration fees. This was at a Porsche dealer mind you so I paid my $187 dollars and drove away a happy man.

That is pretty rare as it is no benefit to the dealership or bank to allow it. They must have been feeling generous that day lol. But you're right, it never hurts to ask unless you asked to get punched in the face like my buddy last weekend lol but that's a whole other story.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream

I called his dealership. The salesman said just bring the car in and we will talk about it. He's considering the trade. It seems more of a win for the dealer cause he's a getting a newer year with less milage. So idk.. if you were to determine the value of both g35's would it be the same? Although, the 6MT has 1 more mile than the automatic with gas..

Old 09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
If the dealership can make money off of the deal they will do it. If they are of equal value, they will most likely not do it unless you get lucky.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by MADtotheA
If the dealership can make money off of the deal they will do it. If they are of equal value, they will most likely not do it unless you get lucky.
In the "dealership world", what is worth more if its a trade in, 6mt or 5at?

Old 09-18-2011, 06:36 PM
On kbb, the 5at 05 coupe is worth 18k and the 03 6mt is worth 14k

Old 09-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by aloooha
In the "dealership world", what is worth more if its a trade in, 6mt or 5at?
Those features don't matter much. Condition, mileage, premium/sport/aero packages etc are what they will consider. Like I said, if they benefit, they most likely will do it. Look up the kbb on both and see how similar they are in price.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by aloooha
On kbb, the 5at 05 coupe is worth 18k and the 03 6mt is worth 14k
Well they should do it then. Goodluck with the bank hassle though.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Well they should do it then. Goodluck with the bank hassle though.
that's another thing, My friend doesn't care about paying registration and all, he just doesn't want them asking for any money. OH! and transferring the title from the loan, etc...

Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No straight trade. Your friend would have to factor the negative equity from the present vehicle. This situation happened to me. I had an 06 G35 Coupe LR fully loaded that I had for about 7 months. I test drove a 6MT and that was it. I was able to find a 06 Coupe 6MT that the dealership was asking for 22k. After negotiation, I bought the car for 18900 +tax and fees and rolled over 3800 negative equity which 2k I payed as a down payment.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I still believe the dealership could work with your friend since the 5AT is worth more than the 6MT coupe he wants. Seriously believe he'll have to pay some type of fee for transfer of ownership and license if nothing else... Won't be free!
Gary

Old 09-19-2011, 05:30 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The sales manager told me that we would be happy to do the trade because the Max had sat on their lot for a couple of weeks and he thought he could sell the Pathfinder in a couple of days. My guess is he marked up the PF more than they had the Max priced at.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: dealership dilemma