G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New Car, questions please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Smile New Car, questions please

I finally got my g35 after waiting a long time. its a 2003 g35 coupe 5AT with navigation and leather. Its Brilliant Silver and black interior..
anyways i'll post pictures later after its washed and cleaned.

I got couple of questions and issues that seem unusual to me and would like some help/advice.

I have tried searching for most of them and have gotten some answers but would like some definite answers please.

1. got spark plugs changed at the dealer at the same time as the inspection of the car, but it seems like it has a rough idle. like when i am in drive and standing at a light the steering wheel has some vibration but it goes away in neutral or if i rev it even a little bit.

I was thinking of starting with doing a throttle body cleaning but i was thinking maybe i should do that at the same time as i install a ztube.

2.the atf fluid is pretty dirty and it seems like it shifts a bit funny in the morning like the first shift from 1st to 2nd is a little hard but nothing major. so my question is that is a transmission flush safe enough? i know drain/fill might be enough but if the flush gets more fluid then i would rather pay extra and do that.

and the dealer said its 289. do you think thats a reasonable price? i live in socal so if anyone has a recommendation for a good mechanic near diamond bar/ontario area?

3. I think i hear like a clink clink sound sometimes from the rear of the car. its like a metal clink?. is that the rear axle click issue? also while trying to reproduce the sound i went over a speed bump funny to like rattle the car a little at a low speed to see if i could hear it again and i scraped something which i think was the exhaust . Is that a normal thing to happen occasionally or is my exhaust hanging too low?

4. Need new fan belts. so if anyone has any tips?

5. Today while vacuuming the car using the power outlet with the door and trunk open(dome and trunk light on), the music playing for about 30-45 mins, the battery died on me and wont start the car and i had to jump it. is that a normal capacity for our car battery? i am used to having a bigger battery and have never needed to jump my car. And if i have to get a new battery any recommendations on size/brand?

6. Oh and is the fan on our cars usually that loud? like the ac or radiator fan?

7. power steering seems a bit firm? normal?

8. 100k miles. any other things i should take care of right now? i am planning to do transmission, oil, coolant, rear diff, power steering fluid.

9. 3rd brake light and one sidemarker is out and wont work. any tips?

10. actually really need a mechanic in so-cal other than the dealer? help please?

thank you and hope to contribute more to this forum in the future once i learn more.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1. no idea.
2. drain/fill is safer unless you know for a fact that past flushes have been done. price for dealership sounds too pricey. most independent shops will do it a lot cheaper. see if you can find the fluid online.
3. probably rear axle click. it does sound somewhat metallic (had the issue myself). cant really comment on the scraping exhaust. it's possible...all depends on the size of the speed bump/your speed.
4. no.
5. you need a new battery. i've left stuff on for longer while cleaning and never had issues. search the forum and youll see what people recommend. everyone has their own opinion on the matter. when my battery died i was in a rush to get it replaced so i just went to costco. 0 issues.
6. never really heard any excessive noise from my fan. if it's super loud then you might have an issue.
7. power steering should be firm but smooth. check your power steering fluid.
8. check your owners manual. itll have a list of what needs to get serviced at 100k.
9. there's a diy fix for the 3rd brake light problem. i also believe one of the vendors can fix it for you. sidemarker not sure. check the wiring and fuses.
10. there's a socal directory of shops in the forum. check it out, read reviews and see which one sounds the best to you.

The following users liked this post:
crazynuts16 (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 03:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1. The car naturally has more vibration than other cars so its probably normal.

2. You want to flush the auto tranny. You drain and fill manual transmissions. Bring it to a shop for this so they can hook it up to their machine. $289 seems like way too much.

4. You are probably referring to the serpentine belts because we have electric fans. There are 2 serpentine belts. One runs the power steering pump, and alternator and the other runs the a/c compressor im pretty sure. The belts cost about 30-40 and you can do it yourself or just bring it to a shop.

5. Probably a little lower than normal but not bad enough to need replacing.

The others i don't know much about

crazynuts16 (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
At 100K your throttle body is going to be pretty dirty. Clean it the same time you install your ztube. It'll be more time efficient that way. Actually remove the throttle body so you can clean it real well, don't just open the butterfly valve and spray cleaner in there.
After cleaning my throttle body, the car idles so much better. Sometimes it feels like it isn't even running

crazynuts16 (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sears DieHard batteries are really good. Great price also. I live in chicago, so it gets pretty cold here, I'll be needing the extra CCAs

crazynuts16 (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
thanks for your help guys.

i dropped the car off this morning for a whole days worth of maintenance stuff including transmission, oil, rear diff, coolant, air filter, belts, rear axle fix, and power steering flush. i got a deal for 600 for all of that and it seemed reasonable. and also the throttle body cleaned too for free!. i was going to do it myself anyways but he said he'll throw that in there so oh well.

the battery failed on me again this morning while just sitting overnight, so i might have to get a new battery too. i was thinking of the sears die-hard battery (link). it has 700 cca so that should be enough right? if anyone has any other suggestions let me know!

oh and i also had a slight vibration in reverse. any ideas?

my next mod i am thinking about the grounding kit and an intake for sound, and clear corners.

that should be it for at least a couple weeks.

oh and btw i took it too CarZone Auto Repair in Van Nuys.