G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hankook v12 gone at 9000 miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by AhYnot
I already have the inchiba rear camber kit. I know the SPC has more tweak to them but it was outside my budget at the time.

BTW, I notice youre from fullerton, I went to CSUF before.
You live around Fullerton? I live right by the Target near Placenia and Yorba Linda Blvd.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
^ 0 would be wrong you want toe to me middle of the accepted range.
That's what I used to think. I spoke to a lot of people, especially those who're stanced or just running a lot of camber and they all recommended 0 toe. I have it for several months now and been liking it better.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:30 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I flip the rears at 6k(coupe). My fronts are still good it is just my rear that are ridiculous! Blue dream.. you're getting 30k!! holy cow. But you have a sedan so you're able to cross rotate and save some life out of them.
I'm running staggered wheels but did flip the tires side to side to combat wear. However I have tweaked my front a arms and rear camber arms so I'm finally back in factory spec on camber and toe on all 4 corners so unusual tire wear is no longer a concern.

And I drive my girl hard quite often so the tires aren't babied.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So i installed the toe bolt today. I skimped out on this last time during my rear camber kit install. Ergg spent 2 hrs doing it! Planning on installing new tires in the rear and getting an alignment. Hopefully I will get at least 15k out of the rears.

Lone wolf- I moved in 2009 after I graduated. But i use to live in the apartments in between nutwood and yorba linda. Be careful of the area! my integra got stolen and stripped! damn hondas

Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 AM
and f*** thieves. my apologies for the venting

Old 10-21-2011, 05:46 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by sTeadFasT96
That's what I used to think. I spoke to a lot of people, especially those who're stanced or just running a lot of camber and they all recommended 0 toe. I have it for several months now and been liking it better.
0 toe helps tire wear but negatively affects handling. You can have one or the other but not both. For most G owners, 0 is a good idea, but for those who track or drive their cars hard it's better to have it in the middle of the "recommended" range.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
0 toe helps tire wear but negatively affects handling. You can have one or the other but not both. For most G owners, 0 is a good idea, but for those who track or drive their cars hard it's better to have it in the middle of the "recommended" range.
It really isn't too bad. I go on frequent mountain cruises. By no means am I going to the limit but it isn't like I feel my car's being limited or unstable because of it.

I'm still not 100% convinced, but a friend of mine and I are on a "0 Toe Theory" right now and just seeing how it works out for ourselves instead of just hearing it from others, since that can always vary.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
We are still talking about the rear tires yes? 0 toe is not a bad idea. You really have to treat all these camber, toe and caster angles as a balancing act. Also springs and anti-sways bars play a big act upon what alignment angles will be effective.

Positive toe in the back will add stability. Negative toe in the back will add rotation. But you can always balance this all out with the other suspension parts that you guys may have or are looking into getting. But yes certain setting will yield to more tire wear, and in some cases premature tire destruction on the inside of your tire.

Most manufacturers add positive toe in the back, for stability and safety. But that sacrifices the tires. Its up to the driver to make it the way that it will work for him, but you can run 0 toe and still have a very well balanced and good handling machine, and there is not one way to do that.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
So i installed the toe bolt today. I skimped out on this last time during my rear camber kit install. Ergg spent 2 hrs doing it! Planning on installing new tires in the rear and getting an alignment. Hopefully I will get at least 15k out of the rears.

Lone wolf- I moved in 2009 after I graduated. But i use to live in the apartments in between nutwood and yorba linda. Be careful of the area! my integra got stolen and stripped! damn hondas
I have already felt the effects of the area. SOmeone took a cinder block to my G about to years ago. Someone smashed the roof three times and the back window twice. I live in between nutwood and yorba linda.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 36K on my fronts and they still have a good 5/12.
I did have 2 wheel alignments done over the 3 years (2nd when I replaced the rears).

Old 10-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by sTeadFasT96
Get your rear toe as close to 0 as you can. Toe kills ties.
+1

toe kills tires more then camber.

0 toe is fine for daily driving.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
It just makes more sense to get the camber kit front and rear with the tow bolts than putting out those big $$ for tires once a year. With the camber kits installed and your alignment done right new tires with a UTQG rating around 280 using the recommended 35 psi should last 25K miles possibly more. I had a set of BStones last me 10K miles but the wear rating was 180, I only blame myself for not being aware....live & learn!
Gary

Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
My v-12's havent even given me a year of service and i dont have but 8000 miles on them but i quess being Twin Turbo'd would have something to do with that...lol

Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Hankook v12 gone at 9000 miles?-alignment.jpg
My new Alignment with new tires.

Since I have about a -2.7 camber what is the best toe number for my car? I was told from the alignment guy that since my alignment is this bad that the 'optimal' toe would be around .12 to compensate for the the tires being negative.

I thought this was absurd since from what I heard on the forums is that closest to a 0 toe is optimal. His reasoning was that if my alignment was negative to the degree of -2.7 with a 0-.05 toe then my inside tires would be gone under 4000miles. Please alignment experts out there, shine some light for me.

Note, my Rear right toe is F'd up because my toe bolt got striped. I will change that before I get a new alignment

Old 11-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by THMotorsports
We are still talking about the rear tires yes? 0 toe is not a bad idea. You really have to treat all these camber, toe and caster angles as a balancing act. Also springs and anti-sways bars play a big act upon what alignment angles will be effective.

Positive toe in the back will add stability. Negative toe in the back will add rotation. But you can always balance this all out with the other suspension parts that you guys may have or are looking into getting. But yes certain setting will yield to more tire wear, and in some cases premature tire destruction on the inside of your tire.

Most manufacturers add positive toe in the back, for stability and safety. But that sacrifices the tires. Its up to the driver to make it the way that it will work for him, but you can run 0 toe and still have a very well balanced and good handling machine, and there is not one way to do that.
Great advice!

Attachment 145052
My new Alignment with new tires.

Since I have about a -2.7 camber what is the best toe number for my car? I was told from the alignment guy that since my alignment is this bad that the 'optimal' toe would be around .12 to compensate for the the tires being negative.

I thought this was absurd since from what I heard on the forums is that closest to a 0 toe is optimal. His reasoning was that if my alignment was negative to the degree of -2.7 with a 0-.05 toe then my inside tires would be gone under 4000miles. Please alignment experts out there, shine some light for me.

Note, my Rear right toe is F'd up because my toe bolt got striped. I will change that before I get a new alignment
On the research that I've done, there's something about adding more positive toe (since it apparently wears on the outside) thus it cancels out the negative camber slightly and adjusts the wear point more towards the center. I would only imagine that shifting the area in which it wears, but doesn't help the fact that it wears out even faster with the camber + toe.

That used to be my mindset, but again, with more research and spoken to the people who I have, people who have run even -4 camber with 0 toe have great tread wear, as long as you keep an eye on it and flip it accordingly. It shouldn't be premature.

This of course I can't say is PROVEN. But just how I'm going about it right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hankook v12 gone at 9000 miles?