G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Break-In Practices

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Break-In Practices

I made a few calls and talked to a few people who have been building engines for many years and here is the best way to do it:

Drive it really smooth for 250-500km.
After that do 4-5 pulls one after the other in 4th or 5th gear from 2500rpm to 5000rpm(for a G35) to create some load on the piston rings. Than drive it smooth again untill 1000kms, after that start beeing a little harder everyday on the engine untill you hit the 2000km mark...than drive it like you stole it.

They also mentionned never to change the oil before 1000km and to try to change it at 1000kms, around 3000-3500kms and at 5000kms. Also be sure not to rev it hard when it's cold.

I know a few guys who used this method and they all got strong runners: 15.2-15.3 2000 civic sir, 15.0 spec-V, 15.7-15.8 protege 5, 14.9-15.0 prelude SH, etc...all 100% stock.

I didn't use that method last year when I got my mecedes C230 and couldn't get better that a 15.3-15.4@91.X mph when some guys were getting 92-93mph all the time(I only got one timeslip at 92mph)...this year I'll be using that method for sure.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by MontrealCoupe on 04/25/03 04:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-25-2003, 08:06 PM

So how many meters in a mile?????

Old 04-25-2003, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.6 kilometers or 1,621.4 meters in 1 mile.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 04-25-2003, 09:02 PM

I really like this method because it's not as boring as the 2000km book break in period or as drastic as driving it hard since day 1.

Even if it's not the best method I think you can't go wrong with it.

Old 04-26-2003, 12:37 AM

I still say drive it hard...It makes it more fun.... haha......I mean how long is the powertrain warranty on this mean beast?

"Dont start none, won't be none"

Old 04-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed drive hard when it is safe to do so, but looking at it from the stand point of the Warranty use when it breaks?[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
It is no fun when your car is in the shop and you are driving a 'loaner' or rental, while a mechanic is climbing all over your "G".[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2003, 10:59 PM

Considering modern engine tolerances and materials, I really don't believe it makes a huge difference how you break in a car. However, when in doubt, I would probably follow the manufacture's recommendations just to be safe. For the "Drive it like you stole it" break-in style, keep in mind that some engines (Corvette, for example) are broken in as part of the assembly process and they requires almost no break in period. That's one of the reason why some cars are delivered with synthetic oil, while others recommend not running synthetic until the engine is broken it.

Old 04-26-2003, 11:19 PM

As an engineer, i can tell you that many people and hours go into each and every aspect of that engine. There are chemists and metalurgists that live working on materials. Engineers that spend thier life applying those materials into parts. The amount of hours that go into engine blocks, pistons, bearing, piston rings, and other internal engine components is Insane.

No mecahnic has the knowledge of the metalic properties on a molecular level. A mechanic relies on a guess and check method. Every part in the engine has been designed to certian engineering specifications by MANY engineers. I am sure that the engineers have run an extensive amount of dyno testing, break in test, extreme weather tests, and every other test under the sun on this engine. That is why i trust the engineers who designed it and not some mechanic who wrote up his own web page with one guess and check example.

He has his own theory in his head about the way he thinks it works, however he does not have the knowledge to tell you why this works he just says it does because that is what seems to work in the few cases he has shown.

I can tell you one thing, i am sure the engineers have run more of the V35 engines to the ground than this guy will and they have the knowledge and experience to back up their reasoning for thier reccomendations.

Are the reccomendations a little on the safe side, yes, but they reccomend that so you can be sure your car performs the way it was designed. I am sure you can get away with driving it hard but the engineers have run these engines hard and probably blew up a few not to mention they designed them, so they know exactly what will happen and that is how they base their reccomendations.

Dan O

Old 04-27-2003, 01:46 AM

Drive it like you stole it....quit being a baby! You know you want to.

"Dont start none, won't be none"

Old 04-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I don't know the difference between 2 and 4 stroke besided 2 more strokes/processes. At least i'm not dumb enough to run my engine to the ground on day one.

Old 04-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I don't know the difference between 2 and 4 stroke besides 2 more strokes/processes. At least i'm not dumb enough to run my engine to the ground on day one.

Old 04-28-2003, 03:23 PM

Is there an echo in here?

Old 04-28-2003, 03:36 PM

did you think it was a 6 stroke????? lol

Old 04-28-2003, 04:07 PM
SRD

haha
mechanics don't know what they are talking about.
any HS drop out can be a mechanic, not everyone can be an engineer. Follow what is recommended.

Old 04-28-2003, 04:40 PM

I agree with DanO. However what TX_G35 said concerning manufacturers breaking in engines at assembly, is correct. Although it maust be said that manufacturers test engines with little load (at least not the same load that a 3400 lb car with put on it). But DanO is right that Nissan engineers have pushed their engines to the limit and know the safest common denominator when it comes to breaking in the engine. It really should be said as breaking in the car, the engine in only one part of a vehicle that incurs great stress when driving. Transmission, Clutch, shocks, suspension, brakes, etc all contribute to the wonderful mechanics of our cars.

Once you start driving the car, all these parts are put under load and start to settle and mold themselves into operation. I would like to make this as gradual as possible. Take this analogy, if you had to go to the doctor for a prostate exam would you
a) want the doctor to put on a glove and shove his finger in there?
b) lube up, be gentle and let you leave with some dignity?

We could sit here and discuss the pros and cons of "breaking in the car" but what it comes down to is when you have to take you car in because there is a major problem and you will be asked, "Did you following the Owner's Manual instructions on breaking in the car?"

Have a look over at the M3 forums and see the fanaticism about breaking in their cars. Basically it is your car, drive it how you wish, but don't come crying to the forum when the dealer is stiffing you with a $6k bill for new valves, clutch, rings, etc.

Mike.

"I am currently out of my mind, so please leave a message after the beep......beeeeeeep!"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Break-In Practices