G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Problem when filling gas tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts
My '06 does the same thing very randomly.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatOneDude
My '06 does the same thing very randomly.
mine also...i was wondering when you pump your gas do you guys look where you put the pump in? is there a metel lid type thing after you take off the gas cap?

Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts
Metal flap thingy, yes I recall there being one in there. Sometimes it'll work and fill all the way, and sometimes it'll stop half way or only a quarter. It doesn't bother me too much since the cheap gas station is a nice place and directly in my path home from work anyway. Just a littttttttle concerning. Long as it doesn't blow up or anything :-p

Old 11-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
^ i looked in at mine and i dont have the metal flap there??? does that mean i have to replace my gas tank??? it barely happens to me but once in a blue moon

Old 11-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I fill my tank with premium and the times when the pump stops the premium at that station would be 91 instead of 93. I don't recall ever having a pump stop when putting in 93. Guess mine is just a spoiled brat.

The following users liked this post:
Maalikcheatom (02-11-2022)
Old 11-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey everyone, I have extensive experience in this department and have taken the fuel sending units apart a few times and put them back together. Just for everyone's reference, the early G's (both sedans and coupes) have a variety of fuel problems which can include:

#1.) sending units going bad (either one or both sides of the gas tank have sending units with floater arms that can go bad)
results in gauge reading the wrong fuel level among other issues.

I have fixed this problem with the DIY on here and a Q-tip to clean the sending units and put it all back together. This is for the mechanically inclined people who don't mind getting a little dirty.
if you choose to follow the DIY please: unplug the fuel line from the passenger side of the gas tank either after letting the car sit overnight so the fuel pressure is released, or if it's just after you've turned the car off, use towels in both hands to unplug the fuel line and that way it will catch the fuel shooting out into the towels and will avoid spraying the base of your rear seat where the rear bottom cushion sits with gas, other than that, the DIY is perfect.

If not doing the DIY, I believe the other fix for this is to just spend the money and replace both the sending units (you can still use the DIY to get an idea of how they go in and come out).

another common problem is:

#2.) The problem where you're at the pump and the you can't fill up past 1/2 tank or the nozzle shuts off prematurely and you can never fill up all the way to "F".

To fix this there is a small metal bracket that must be purchased from the dealer. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for this piece and the install is not easy. I did this install today at my friend's shop and it involves taking the passenger side fuel pump/sending unit out and reaching into the tank with your arm and clipping this metal bracket thing onto the EVAP hose/ FLV valve setup inside of the actual gas tank. The bracket thing is not expensive but reaching into the tank and getting that little guy clipped on is a nightmare (there should be pictures on infinitihelp.com). However, as of today....I went to the pump and was able to fill up with 17 gallons. This was the first time in years that I was able to just go to a gas station, click the pump on and have it fill more than 10 gallons without shutting off prematurely. I was able to fill up past "F." Feels amazing. This is a popular TSB at the dealer and lots of guys in SoCal have done it from what the service departments at a few dealerships around LA have said.

The third and final TSB I think:
#3.) There is a problem where you go to pump gas and it's difficult to get the pump started. The fuel nozzle just keeps clicking off every time you try to get it going and you have to do this repeated times to get fuel into the tank to begin with.

To fix this, there is another bracket/cap valve thing that's plastic and must be purchased from the dealer as well. I believe it is also a TSB and from what the guys said today it is much easier to install than #2 above, but this problem is nowhere near as common as #2.

Hope this helps

The following users liked this post:
19kdrill (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 PM
You might have to make a profile on infinitihelp.com to get to this page, but once you're there, the first PDF at the top that says:

VARIOUS INFINITI MODELS; HARD TO FILL FUEL TANK
The fuel tank is difficult to fill more than ½

is the PDF that you need to open to see what I'm talking about in #2 above. here's the link

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...&pp=12&keyid=9

Old 11-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Just looked up the TSB. Looks do-able. The parts appear to be around $5.

My wife has complained about this on our 03 sedan, but I never had an issue. I just thought the problem was a WOMAN doesn't know how to fill up the fuel tank (I keed, I keed!!!!).

Gonna look into it and maybe get something done about it. Got to take it in for the airbag recall, so might see if the dealer will hook me up w/ a "goodwill" repair...

Thanks for the post!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 PM
I have just been experiencing this same problem recently. It just keeps stopping, doesn't matter if I fill it slow, by hand, or the normal way. This is real annoying. I'll have to see if I'm able to fix it myself.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:23 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
happens to me all the time. went to dealer for fix under warranty.. twice.. they said it was fixed, 3 weeks later it came back again.

At this point, when it stops when the tank is 1/2 full, I just stick the nozzle about 1/2 way in and it works fine.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Filled up today and it was fine! It was a different pump, but same gas station and I doubt the problem is the pump. I think I'll just leave it and not fix it for now unless it constantly recurs.

On another note, I just curbed my rim.

Name:  fuuuuu.jpg
Views: 4304
Size:  23.8 KB

Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 04 Coupe had been in and out of Infiniti Shop 6 times over this issue. Last two times were quoted the gas tank, refused to pay for it then Infiniti replaced for free. Prob back again. Now they said somekind of gas cap for 600.00.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by saltyload
If it's a TSB, shouldn't it be free to fix even without warranty? (I don't have warranty)
I got mine fixed i believe it was a recall... I asked about it when I had a nasty hole in my tank that I didnt know I had...

Old 04-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Do you guys just give up and drive away with less than half a tank?! This happens to me a lot at cheap gas stations, especially when the wind is blowing (not sure what that's about). I just twist the pump to one side, and pump very slowly. I am listening for the sound of the tube filling up. Then I increase pump speed until I am concerned it might stop, then I hold it there and fill. Works nearly every time.

When its really cold, it has been painful. I had to adjust the angle a few times and pump very slowly.

Hope this helps some people at least get their tanks full!

Originally Posted by saltyload
On another note, I just curbed my rim.
A moment of silence for you my friend, so sorry. I know exactly how you feel.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though you are out of warranty if there is a product recall they will replace it free of charge. You can just call you local Infiniti dealer mention to them you heard there was a recall regarding the fuel tube or something like that and all they need is your VIN and they can check it... Thats how I got my issue fixed..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem when filling gas tank