G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   6MT OWNERS!!! Do you feel this? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/39489-6mt-owners-do-you-feel.html)

MrElussive 12-26-2004 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by t3knokon
Will you really wear the synchro's???

-t3k

Yes! You can keep your hand around the shift knob when it's in gear, but don't put any pressure on it! Don't move it even a few millimeters. The shift knob is supposed to be in one exact place. It is best to only put your hand on the shift knob when shifting.
The vibrating shift knob is an oldschool manual car thing. Most new manual cars do not have this "feature" to it about the vibrations. Supposedly it's good because you can sort of "feel" where the engine rpm's are at without looking at the tachometer.

kenchan 12-26-2004 12:31 PM

Yes, if you continually have pressure against a gate unintentionally, it will
prematurely wear it out. Drive with both hands on the steering wheel and only
take your right hand off during shifts.

benster 12-29-2004 02:31 PM

whew! i thought there was something wrong with my g35. i picked it up yesterday and it too is my first manual car. good thing traffic is lighter this holiday week in DC!

mwy23 12-29-2004 03:03 PM

harsh shifter vibration is an attribute of direct linkage transmissions. smooth transmissions are usually a cable or rod shift linkage.

if you let the rpms drop too low, you will also experience a very harsh vibration, ie almost stalling the motor.

allforthecash 04-25-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JKDman (Post 388781)
Sup all...

I drive with my left hand on the wheel and right hand on the shift knob.
Always.

And so i feel the different vibrations and such in the engine at the knob.
But i'm wondering if this vibration is normal.

For instance, I'm accelerating through 4th gear at about 3500 RPM.
Then i let off the throttle to let the engine brake kick in and slow down. As the RPM comes down, there is a brief instance when my shifter vibrates harshly.

This being my first MT, i don't know if this is normal. But it has been with me since day one. Just wondering if it is indeed normal, or something i should have a tech look at.

So basically, while engine braking, shifter vibrates (noticably harsh) for a second or two. Like there's a sweet spot in the RPMs.

Anyone?

I was actually Searching this...I noticed it in my G35 6MT this past week...EXACTLY what you are describing, but I haven't noticed it before...I wonder if it is normal......its about 3500 RPM and you let your foot of the gas and as the RPM strop at around 3000 there is a harsh vibration in the shifter for 2 seconds or so and then it goes away (i think its 4th or 5th gear at 40mph)...

NachoCheese 04-25-2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by allforthecash (Post 5054561)
I was actually Searching this...I noticed it in my G35 6MT this past week...EXACTLY what you are describing, but I haven't noticed it before...I wonder if it is normal......its about 3500 RPM and you let your foot of the gas and as the RPM strop at around 3000 there is a harsh vibration in the shifter for 2 seconds or so and then it goes away (i think its 4th or 5th gear at 40mph)...

Did you read any of the replies to this thread, or just the OP?

vipers 04-25-2010 11:34 AM

This is not a true luxury car, remember that it's a sport coupe at heart. Vibration is okay. And to the guy who said "don't rest your hand on the shifter cause it could pop out of gear"...I have always rested my hand on the shifter and yet to have a problem. Mind over matter.

AmateuRN 04-25-2010 12:52 PM

^^ Don't discredit him with your own one person experience. Just because you've never had a problem proves nothing. I was taught in mechanic school to, "Stop trying to look like a badass and keep your damn hand off the shifter!" I know they said syncros and thought the fork also? But maybe not..

TIAN 04-25-2010 01:16 PM

6 year bump. Holy....

SpcCain 04-25-2010 01:48 PM

If your not putting any pressure on the shifter then I don't see how you can mess up the syncros, or even push into neutral.

NachoCheese 04-25-2010 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tian (Post 5054805)
6 year bump. Holy....

At least this is a rare occurance of someone actually searching and not making a new thread, so kudos to him.

partyman66 04-25-2010 02:56 PM

You're more likely to notice vibrations in a RWD car like our G35's in comparison to a front wheel drive MT car because your gear shifter goes directly into the transmission in a RWD car. In a FWD car, the gear shifter is connected to the tranny by a bar, and some of the vibrations are absorbed or muffled due to the bar and the distance between the tranny and the gear shifter lever.

That being said... my last 3 cars have all been RWD MT vehicles... and the vibration that this thread was initially posted in regards to is something I've only noticed on my G35. It seems to do it mostly around 3500 RPM's when you are on the gas hard and then let off the gas and compression brake down from something above 3500 RPM's to something below 3500 RPM's. I think it's normal for our cars to do that(although I don't really think it should be), but it's not normal for all cars to do this.

G2FLIP4 04-25-2010 04:04 PM

I notice it in mine, not a big deal

OT... man, there sure were some stupid f*cking replies on this thread

nighthawk06 04-25-2010 05:09 PM

Same thing happen to mine too... So keep hand and feet of clutch and shifter when not in use lol....

VxLyf3 04-25-2010 07:45 PM

normal