04 coupe power window problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 04 coupe power window problem

Hello everyone!

I recentyl bought a 2004 g35 coupe,
Last night the passenger side power window in my g35 stopped working, the window was all the way down and wouldn't come back up. I took the door apart and and tried to manually turn the window motor to get the window up for the time being, and it went about 1/3 of the way up and the cables seemed to have too much tension on them. So I stopped and let the window back down, however the cable tension didn't seem to loosen. I ended up testing the switch this morning and it was okay, so I took apart the window motor and thoroughly cleaned all the parts and put it back together, and to my surprise it worked, i ran it for about 15 seconds just to make sure everything sounded right, and it was running strong. I put everything back together and tried to put the window up and it went up nice till it hit that 1/3 of the way up and it bogged down and stopped, it seems to me like the cables get too tense forcing the motor to stop. What can be done to fix this? Is there any way I can loosen the cables on the regulator assembly if I remove the motor?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

Old 01-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
known issue....while pulling the button up bang on the door panel below the grab handle...it should go up....you'll either need a new motor or you can try taking apart the old one, cleaning it, and reinstalling..there's a DIY thread on that somewhere,,try search function

The following users liked this post:
sail981 (09-28-2014)
Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Is the window sitting properly on the track? When I took my door apart I noticed that the window shifted out of the bracket that was holding it on the bottom. This caused it to not slide properly on the track and made the motor really struggle and stop working in some instances. I thought the motor was dying until I discovered this issue.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the replies, At first it was the motor that was the problem, I detached it from the window regulator assembly and it was completely dead, so I cleaned it out and got it working again. I guess I'll have to take the panel back off and have a look to see if the window is still on the track, that could be the issue because it goes up about 6 inches or so and then comes to a stop.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
My motor was the initial issue. I cleaned it and it started working again...that's when the track problem came up. It probably happened when I was putting everything back together the first time...

Old 01-04-2012, 07:44 PM
I feel like I might be starting to have this problem too, sometimes when my passenger side window is completely down, it takes me a few presses in order to get the window back up.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP, I would just go an replace the window motor. My motor has been acting funky similar to what you described. It finally died yesterday with the window in the fully open position. You don't want to have the motor finally give out at the most unfortunate time.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Hey everyone, I fixed everything And it works better then ever now. Don't give up on your window "dead" motor right away! I took the whole thing apart, used wd40 and a wire brush to clean everything, moving metal parts and connections. Then greased up the magnetic spindle part afterwards, put it back together and voila! As for it getting stuck, after having another look I noticed the window + regulator assembly was pushed over too far to the left and it was also off the rubber guide located inside the door. I shifted it over and got it in the track with ease, and put it back together properly. If anyone is having this problem it is much easier to work with it if you can get the window up or partially up. Hopefully this helps any fellow G owners who encounter similar problems. Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

The following users liked this post:
sail981 (10-05-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having the same problem on driver side window. I just took it apart and determined the motor is getting the voltage. Didn't bother taking the motor apart for now. I just ordered a new motor assy. when I get done I'll take the old motor apart and see if it can be saved for my passenger side door. I'll keep you posted.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:38 PM
After reading all the tips posted here I decided to take the motor off the regulator. I found the commutator really gummed up. My feeling is because the motor is in near vertical position small amount of lubricant drips down the brushes. I cleaned it out with a little rubbing alcohol, used fine grit sand paper to burnish the commutator and run a ran a razor blade between the segments, dubbed a little grease on the shaft and put it back together. Runs like new now. Someone here have posted the reset procedure. He is right. Follow the directions to the letter. It is so simple you think you understand it.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:20 PM
None of my windows are working please help

Old 08-13-2018, 04:23 PM
Where is the fuse for the power windows for a 2004 infinity G 35

Where is the fuse for the 2004 infinity G 35

Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods