G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I think something is wrong

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
You should def. do an ECU reset. It takes 30 seconds. The easiest way is using your gas pedal instead of disco your battery.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dukehotty
You should def. do an ECU reset. It takes 30 seconds. The easiest way is using your gas pedal instead of disco your battery.
How does one go about resetting the ECU?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacklite
Disconnect the Negative terminal on your battery (Black) and leave it for 30 seconds to a minute.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Illuminati
Disconnect the Negative terminal on your battery (Black) and leave it for 30 seconds to a minute.
Is that the easiest method? what about the gas pedal one dukehotty mentioned?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Blacklite
Turn the key to "ON" (NOT TURNING ON ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Wait 3 FULL seconds
Pump pedal 5 times fast
Wait 7 Seconds
Hold gas pedal all the way down until "Engine" starts to blink
When it does take foot of gas pedal for a couple seconds then back on until engine stops blinking, then blinks really fast..
Turn to OFF
Start your car and let it warm up

That's it!

I bought my car used,it was a 42K mile- one owner car, and it made a big difference.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Turn the key to "ON" (NOT TURNING ON ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Wait 3 FULL seconds
Pump pedal 5 times fast
Wait 7 Seconds
Hold gas pedal all the way down until "Engine" starts to blink
When it does take foot of gas pedal for a couple seconds then back on until engine stops blinking, then blinks really fast..
Turn to OFF
Start your car and let it warm up

That's it!

I bought my car used,it was a 42K mile- one owner car, and it made a big difference.
Two things. One; what does resetting the ECU do? I'm sure it's good, but I'm curious.

And 2, what if I mess up on the timing or something on one of the steps, or it doesnt do some of the things. Would it be bad for me to keep doing it until I get it?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
You can do a search but in short, our cars "learn" the way we drive or something and over time it changes the way the car responds. When I did it to my used 42K car, it was a HUGE difference. The car actually peeled out when I punched it. Seems like it "woke up" my car. I am sure it changed other things too. If you mess up, just turn it back to off... then start again. It takes a bit to get it down. Took me about 6 tries the first time. Now I can do it first time. I usually do it every other gas fill.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
-Change Engine Coolant-~40 plus labor
-Change Motor Oil and Oil Filter~40 at a dealer
-Change Spark Plugs ~50 plus labor
-Clean Mass Airflow Sensor~(do this yourself MAF cleaner at an auto parts store for $4)
-Inspect and possibly change/clean Air Filter~10 diy
-Change Transmission Fluid~120 at a dealer
-Change Differential Fluid~no clue probably over 100

Old 01-04-2012, 03:22 PM
You can do a search but in short, our cars "learn" the way we drive or something and over time it changes the way the car responds. When I did it to my used 42K car, it was a HUGE difference. The car actually peeled out when I punched it. Seems like it "woke up" my car. I am sure it changed other things too. If you mess up, just turn it back to off... then start again. It takes a bit to get it down. Took me about 6 tries the first time. Now I can do it first time. I usually do it every other gas fill.
Now I noticed you have an 06.. This ecu resetting method applies to all G models? I have an 05.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Yes. I think it applies to all newer Nissans. I tried it on my friend's 07 Sentra and it worked! She couldn't figure out why I was so excited. I can't either.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That does seem really low...

Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd just like to share that I've been getting like 180 miles on a full tank ever since I bought mine. My last car('94 Integra GSR) was pretty bad too, 210 miles at most. Both took and take Synthetic oil, and 91 octange gas only. No mods on neither of them. Doesn't make sense to me, I've even tried keeping RPMs under 2,000. All city driving.

My mom's '02 Escalade with a V8 even gets about 400 to a tank. I drive 30 freeway miles and my tank goes down like 1/3, in the Escalade it goes down like 1/8th almost a 1/10th. Going to reset the ECU and drive granny for a tank just to see if I can truely get 16-23 MPG. I'm at like 10 MPG right now. Lasts like a week, sometimes a week and a half if I dare challenge the empty light.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 PM
try running some CARB cleaner with the tune up. it cleans all the carbon buildup in the throttle body and combustion chamber. its super simple and about 5 bucks at any local parts store.

pull off your intake box and spray it into the tube...just keep someone in the car to keep it running cause it will want to die. then after 1/2 can give it a few good revs (3-4 up to 4-5k rpm) and take it out for a good boot around the block.
it has worked for 4 cars i had and opened them up and got way better mileage.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by ImElvis
I'd just like to share that I've been getting like 180 miles on a full tank ever since I bought mine. My last car('94 Integra GSR) was pretty bad too, 210 miles at most. Both took and take Synthetic oil, and 91 octange gas only. No mods on neither of them. Doesn't make sense to me, I've even tried keeping RPMs under 2,000. All city driving.

My mom's '02 Escalade with a V8 even gets about 400 to a tank. I drive 30 freeway miles and my tank goes down like 1/3, in the Escalade it goes down like 1/8th almost a 1/10th. Going to reset the ECU and drive granny for a tank just to see if I can truely get 16-23 MPG. I'm at like 10 MPG right now. Lasts like a week, sometimes a week and a half if I dare challenge the empty light.
It really is pointless to talk about how many miles you get to a tank when comparing different vehicles, because the tank sizes are all different between different types of cars. Your mom's Escalade probably has like a 32 gallon tank or something ridiculous like that, while we have a 20.5 gallon tank. Sure... she gets more miles out of her tank, but only because a full tank for her is like 55% more gas than a G35 tank holds. Apples to apples fuel economy comparisons compare Miles Per Gallon, while doing similar types of driving amongst 2 different cars that use the same type of fuel (meaning don't compare diesel to gasoline, or a hybrid/electric to a vehicle powered by gas or diesel).

Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
It really is pointless to talk about how many miles you get to a tank when comparing different vehicles, because the tank sizes are all different between different types of cars. Your mom's Escalade probably has like a 32 gallon tank or something ridiculous like that, while we have a 20.5 gallon tank. Sure... she gets more miles out of her tank, but only because a full tank for her is like 55% more gas than a G35 tank holds. Apples to apples fuel economy comparisons compare Miles Per Gallon, while doing similar types of driving amongst 2 different cars that use the same type of fuel (meaning don't compare diesel to gasoline, or a hybrid/electric to a vehicle powered by gas or diesel).
Oh yeah, my apologies.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I think something is wrong