G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What year and model G35 coupe is the best

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:11 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho
hahaha it took me several months in therapy to be able to let things like that go... I was thinking the same thing the whole time and had to bite my hand to keep from posting that.
Joo gies ar so picki bout speling. wi?

Old 12-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
The 05 6MT (or any 05 that has the sport suspension)

I walked away from the coupe in 03 in part because the suspension didn't measure up, the 05 sports suspension fixes that and moves the car away from the luxury camp and more towards the sporting crowd that it's name implies ("G35 sports coupe"). This move will delight some, yet alienate others. Can't say I can stomach how the AT behaves in spite of the MT being less then the holy grail of trannies.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely 2005 for sure even though I don't have my coupe yet! Haha... If price is not a consideration, I think you have to give to the 2005 model.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My exact reason why I bought the 04'.

Originally Posted by Hockeyplay95
I disagree- I think the 04' 6 MT is the best. The loss of the brembos really took a hit (to me), and the added horsies doesn't really make up the loss of torque. This is an opinionated question, so many may disagree.

Old 12-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got my 04.5 because the additional $$ i'd be paying for an 05 didnt add up to all of its advantages

Old 12-30-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Sickone
I really tried to let this go, it is just one of my pet peeves.
Prolix - certainly not a slam on you, as it is a very common mistake, and I am
no one to judge, as I suck at both typing and spelling.... but

"then the brembos are a mute point"

The correct term/word is "moot" not "mute"
"mute" meaing silenced, "moot" meaning no longer important or voided importance to the issue
Sickone -

Thank you for correcting me! Had you not done this, I would have continued using the wrong word when I used this expression. I especially appreciate it because I have always had an interest in words and their usage and it always bothers me when they are mangled or misused. Speaking of my interest in words, I now give you the winners of the 2004 Annual Neolgism Contest. The Washington Post recently published the winning submissions to its yearly contest, in which readers are asked to supply alternate meanings for common words............(I know this is horribly off-topic, but hopefully you will enjoy this and forgive me!)
The winners are:
1. Coffee (n.), the person upon whom one coughs.
2. Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much
weight you have gained.
3. Abdicate (v.), to give up all hope of ever having
a flat stomach.
4. Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while
drunk.
5. *****-nilly (adj.), impotent.
6. Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which
you absentmindedly answer the door in your
nightgown.
7. Lymph (v.), to walk with a lisp.
8. Gargoyle (n.), olive-flavored mouthwash.
9. Flatulence (n.) emergency vehicle that picks
you up after you are
run over by a steamroller.
10. Balderdash (n.), a rapidly receding hairline.
11. ******** (n.), a humorous question on an exam.
12. Rectitude (n.),* the formal, dignified bearing
adopted by proctologists.
13. Pokemon (n), a Rastafarian proctologist.
14. Oyster (n.), a person who sprinkles his
conversation with Yiddishisms.
15. Frisbeetarianism (n.), The belief that, when
you die, your Soul flies up onto the roof and
gets stuck there.
16. Circumvent (n.), an opening in the front of
boxer shorts worn by Jewish men.

Prolix

Old 12-30-2004, 04:49 PM
2004 is the best year!! Why? Harvard, Stanford, and Princeton have done extensive research on the G35C. Want some documentation? Find it yourself!

Hey, this is good! I own a 04 coupe! Guess I'm lucky!

Enjoy!

Old 12-31-2004, 01:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 6MT is the best!

Now up to 2400 miles= zero rattles thus far, even after dismantling the dash to install the AVElectronic video switcher and DVD player so I can watch DVD's on the Nav

Most bugs from '03 were taken care of (I've had no problems thus far, knock on wood)

Brembos= discontinued for '05

Caribbean Blue= discontinued for '05

18" factory wheels (best looking)= only available in '05 w/ Performance Tire & Wheel Pkg which does not include viscous limited slip differential

More torque than '05

Old 12-31-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by gspotter
2004 6MT is the best!

Now up to 2400 miles= zero rattles thus far, even after dismantling the dash to install the AVElectronic video switcher and DVD player so I can watch DVD's on the Nav

Most bugs from '03 were taken care of (I've had no problems thus far, knock on wood)

Brembos= discontinued for '05

18" factory wheels (best looking)= only available in '05 w/ Performance Tire & Wheel Pkg which does not include viscous limited slip differential

More torque than '05
BINGO, you said it all - after 11,000 miles (in only 5 months... ) I have zero rattles and no mechainal or electrical problems what-so-ever. As I said before, I think that we'll all see that the 2004.5 will be the most problem-free, just a hunch I have.

Old 12-31-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Sickone
I drove all three styles (stock 17", performance 18", and sorts tuned 19") I knew I wanted the 19"/sports, but was worried about how stiff the ride might be. Also after the VLSD issue I am sure glad I did.
Sickone

did you notice that much of a difference between the different tire packages? if one wants the best balance between sport and cushy ride for road trips, what would you recommend from your drives?

Does lack of vlsd on 17 and 18's really matter that much if your doing more casual driving?

Old 12-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Devil's Advocate
Originally Posted by accordfreak

"Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races"
Not entirely true, if it were then why are S2000s consistently better than us at autoX?

Old 12-31-2004, 01:34 PM
Prolix:
1) as I said it is a very common mistake (I didn't find out till 20 years ago in mid 20's since I had never seen it written, and it is commonly misunderstood).
Also i am glad you receieved it as it was given... i.e. info only, no slam.
I also love words (even though I mangle and mispell them) The list you posted was great... I about died laughing

Drisst88:
The difference is minimal in most normal driving as far as I could tell.
That is to say you feel the road in all tire/wheel packages. Though the ride is not bad it is not what many expect from a 'luxury' car.

When you throw the thing into a corner, the sports tuned package stood out, it was notably flatter on the corners, with less wash on the backlash of the corner action.

One thing that made a fair difference in my ride was checking the tire pressure.
The 19"/sports pack is supposed to be at 35PSI... the morons had it 40PSI. A few PSI
seems to make a big difference on 40 series tires.

I am very pleased with the car and the ride, and having had an idiot almost run me off the road a few days back, it was clear I got through that little mess due to the handling of the G35 - my Honda would have been toast.

The only complaint around here with the G35c is coming from my wife.
She wants to know why I spend so much time talking softly and caressing the coupe. I told her, if she were that young and pretty - I'd do the same with her (God I hope she never reads this ...heheheh)

Last edited by Sickone; 12-31-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by roneski
Not entirely true, if it were then why are S2000s consistently better than us at autoX?
An S2000 weighs SIGNIFICANTLY less than our cars...roughyly 700lbs which in terms of automotive weight is a GIANT gap... that's been the argument from the get-go.

Less torque + More weight = Slower

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 12-31-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Devil's Advocate
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho
An S2000 weighs SIGNIFICANTLY less than our cars... that's been the argument from the get-go.

Less torque + More weight = Slower
I get what you're saying.

The point that I was trying to make is that the S2000 runs at about 1 ft/lb of torque per 17.5 pounds of curbweight, whereas we run at about 1 ft/lb per 13.3 pounds of curbweight. So proportionally we have a huge torque advantage, but that doesn't always necessarily translate into winning races.

Old 12-31-2004, 02:34 PM
04 or 04.5 6MT.

The gauges are still nicer in my opinion. The 6mt's are equipped with the HOT Brembo brakes. Trust any of the 6mt owners, the brakes feel way different from the AT brakes. The pedal feel is completely different and less grabby. That alone would do it for me. Plus, the 18" wheels still look better and they came with Pilot Sport tires, not the crappy Bridgestones (non-SO3). Weight would be another negative for 05's. The added HP and higher redline is really nice, however the usage would be less. All of us take our cars up to redline pretty frequently, but not ALL THE TIME. I'd rather keep the slightly higher torque for normal driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What year and model G35 coupe is the best