G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

VCD + SLIP after shifting gears

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
VCD + SLIP after shifting gears

I did search and found many related topics but nothing describes my exact situation.
It happened three or four times this week, so far.

Its winter here, while shifting from 1-2 or 2-3 and i let go of the clutch a bit too quick usually traction kicks in and SLIP blinks few times which is normal correct?

Whats happening in my case is sometimes when traction kicks in after shifting the whole dash/stereo/exterior lights flicker very quickly after they flicker SLIP, VDC, ABS come on (i dont recall all the other lights coming on like when you start your car but i could be wrong, dont quote me on it, I noticed the SLIP, VDC & ABS so far i'll pay closer attention next time this happens at all the other lights). ABS goes away within 3 seconds or so were VDC and SLIP stay on till i shut the car off and turn it back on.
Never had this issue when traction kicks in while regular driving

I changed my engine oil just under two weeks ago, when it was at the shop i check brake fluid level it was fine, my brakes are still good, and they also check my tranny fluid level & color and said its still good.

Its an 04 G coupe 6 MT with just under 60k miles on it

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 AM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Are your running on the original battery? If so, my money is that your battery is toast and that's causing the problem.

At one point my car would randomly illuminate the ABS, Slip, and VDC lights and they would stay lit until I turned the ignition off. Took it to the dealer and it turned out it was the battery. Replaced it and it has never come back since.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Revo
Are your running on the original battery? If so, my money is that your battery is toast and that's causing the problem.

At one point my car would randomly illuminate the ABS, Slip, and VDC lights and they would stay lit until I turned the ignition off. Took it to the dealer and it turned out it was the battery. Replaced it and it has never come back since.

Hmmm... that's an interesting way for a battery to go. Normally they just won't start your car.

Having your battery tested does not cost much. Any local place should be able to do that for you. If it isn't your problem, you will at least be able to cross something off the list of possibilities for very minimal cost.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:24 AM
G35
Originally Posted by Revo

I'm pretty sure the car still have the OEM battery in it, i never had an issue with it even when the temp was like 35*c below 0. But i would definitely get it tested. Thats the same as my issue except mine ABS doesn't stay on, feels like the car was shut off and started back up in less than a second.

Originally Posted by HeelToeSTi
Hmmm... that's an interesting way for a battery to go. Normally they just won't start your car.

Having your battery tested does not cost much. Any local place should be able to do that for you. If it isn't your problem, you will at least be able to cross something off the list of possibilities for very minimal cost.

Agreed somewhat.
Now that he mentioned this i just remembered i had a similar problem in my old V8. My dash/lights flickers badly everytime i floored it. Turned out car was at the dealer the day before and they forgot to tighten the battery cable. All it did was flicker though, not lights stayed on,
Again not same car not same platform nor same problem whatsoever but batteries can cause some crazy **** sometimes.

Both of your replies are appreciated. I will wait on more answers before i take any further steps

Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
My battery had no problem starting my car when it was causing these issues. The voltage and current supply is still plenty to start the car but is just low enough to cause electrical systems to act up.

Think about it, your starter motor is just that - an electric motor. Whether it gets 12V or 11V it's not going to matter as much if your battery can still dump 500 amps into it. It will get your engine turning plenty fast to start up.

But the difference between 12V and 11V can be HUGE for a lot of electronics. (This is just an example, obviously voltage is higher than this with the alternator going when the engine is running.)

lol you think that's crazy you should see some of the problems newer BMW's have when the battery starts to wear...

Old 02-03-2012, 03:07 AM
G35
Anyone can chime in?

Old 02-03-2012, 03:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe check the ABS sensor. Make sure your sensor is the correct amount of space from the magnet. I belive its .14 - .16.

Change out any fuses lately?

Good Luck!!!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Happens to me and my z buds all the time when we drift. Mine was the first to have it stay on and then when they would hold the drift as long as me theres woukd too. It only happens when theres Excessive wheel spin. Theres nothing wrong it just will pop on if the slip light keeps coming on or for an extended period of time.....which is like 5 seconds haha

Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine did same thing, even with VDC off, if you do excessive drifts/burnouts it will stay on indefinately until you turn off the car and restart. You are pushing it to the limit!! ha ha

Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 AM
G35
Originally Posted by smoovarrowhead
Mine did same thing, even with VDC off, if you do excessive drifts/burnouts it will stay on indefinately until you turn off the car and restart. You are pushing it to the limit!! ha ha

yes, but mine stays on along with the slip light and doesnt shut off till i shut the car and start it again. i also mentioned flickering lights.
So this is not normal for sure

Old 02-04-2012, 12:29 AM
G35
okay bro, i'll start in a bit

Old 02-04-2012, 12:33 AM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
back on topic...

Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 AM
G35
thanks, any idea if a low battery might cause shut a problem?

i checked my break fluid this morning and it was few mm under the full level.
I havent checked my rear pads yet

Old 02-04-2012, 12:40 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^Get the brake fluid back to the full level first. See if it still does it.

Shouldn't matter much, but our cars are pretty sensitive to low brake fluid, and they will light the brake/slip/vdc off lights if it gets low enough

Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a problem with my vdc kickn on when i wouldnt even lose traction and then the slip light would blink and i was only turning on an freeway on ramp. I had a bad rear wheel bearing and my alignment was off by alot.i had recently put spacers to fit the 19"and i didnt do the allignment... IF your car is on and ur driving it and it does tht possibly the wheel hub bearing is bad and its causing your abs to trip out and ur slip . If you burn out alot or drift your car its wear N tear on the bearing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VCD + SLIP after shifting gears