G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

04 vs 05 6mt performance wise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DiGil
The MREV2 is a replacement lower plenum manufactured by Motordyne. It is designed to optimize the airflow into all cylinders. When combined with the 5/16" spacer from Motordyne (as well as a Z-Tube and high flow filter) it shows some very nice gains on the RevUp engines. Combined, these mods make power throughout the powerband, with big increases in the mid and upper range. Check out some dynos HERE, and also look around the Motordyne website: http://www.motordyneengineering.com/.

Also, search around here on the forums. These are usually the first mods people get, and I have never heard anyone say anything other than how great they are.
Good info.. R these upgrades affordable?

Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Depends on how you define affordable. ~$750 for the MREV2 + spacer, but that will give you better gains all around than really anything else in that price range (i.e. exhaust). They are also very easy to install yourself if you have even the slightest mechanical skill and 2 - 3 hrs to kill.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the great info definitely looking into this as a future mod

Old 02-27-2012, 04:27 AM
Originally Posted by parhamm1
It's noticeable. The rev up has more pep. I have an 04 and love it, but after driving a rev up I wish I had one of those instead.
How does the rev up has more pep when the non rev has more torque? Are there any dyno comparisons we can see

Old 02-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
^ DE vs REVUP isn't just about 18hp more and 10trq less. I remember reading somewhere that Nissan changed the cam timing, increased the rev-limiter, other modifications. This is not just a difference of lower collecting plenum.

And I seriously doubt you can feel a difference in +10trq. Its a collection of what Nissan changed and tweaked on the engine that makes the REVUP a tad faster and peppier.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by DiGil
Depends on how you define affordable. ~$750 for the MREV2 + spacer, but that will give you better gains all around than really anything else in that price range (i.e. exhaust). They are also very easy to install yourself if you have even the slightest mechanical skill and 2 - 3 hrs to kill.
$750 for Mrev2 and 5/16 spacer if you buy new. But you can picked up my MREV2 and Spacer used for about $400-$450 now a days.

They are great mods. The MREV2 w/ Spacer was the only mod that I felt made a difference. Thats coming for a person thats not sensitive to engine mods.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HenryLee
^ DE vs REVUP isn't just about 18hp more and 10trq less. I remember reading somewhere that Nissan changed the cam timing, increased the rev-limiter, other modifications. This is not just a difference of lower collecting plenum.

And I seriously doubt you can feel a difference in +10trq. Its a collection of what Nissan changed and tweaked on the engine that makes the REVUP a tad faster and peppier.
+1 to this. And all that is amplified if you plan on modding/tuning.

I also would like to see stock dynos, too. +10 torque, sure. But that is peak torque. I'm not sure what the difference is in the low and mid-range where most of us spend our time. It could be less of a difference.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by HenryLee
$750 for Mrev2 and 5/16 spacer if you buy new. But you can picked up my MREV2 and Spacer used for about $400-$450 now a days.

They are great mods. The MREV2 w/ Spacer was the only mod that I felt made a difference. Thats coming for a person thats not sensitive to engine mods.
sounds tempting.. should i do this mod with just a stock air intake or maybe the Z tube? i heard those aftermarket intakes and CAIs actually loses some low end power

Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Just going back to the basics, the Revup allows variable valve timimg on BOTH intake and exhaust vs the non Revup which only allows exhaust cam variable timing.

Stock for stock there isn's much of a measurable seat of the pants difference. I've ran non-Revup's at the track and out in the street and like I said, it isn't a V8 like difference. You wouldn't be able to notice much of a torque advantage in the low rpm's with the non-revup. The noticeable difference is when driving the revup at full throttle in 3rd gear which is when you will feel the revup pull at high rpm's. Other than that, good luck feeling a measurable difference.

There is more tq on the dyno with the non-revup, but dyno's are measured at wide open throttle. At partial throttle, below 3500 rpm, which is where normal daily driving usually occurs, the difference wouldn't be "felt".

If you want power, get an HR or VHR or boost the DE. My 09 G37 rental ran faster times at the track bone stock with crappy tires than my bolt on and tuned Revup. Video's in my sig below.

Here is a video between a Revup and non-revup 350z. Their test results were pretty similar to my tests as you can see the Revup pull from the start and also pull away in 3rd gear. It almost proves my theory of the Revup's advantage in 3rd gear at full throttle.

Here's a dyno of all the VQ's. This should be used as a reference only because they were all done on different days.
Too bad the Revup's dyno didn't start until after 3k rpm.
http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-d...r-numbers.html

Last edited by Jairen; 02-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts
another big difference is cams.

03-04 non revup
duration exhaust 240 intake 238
lift ex/in 9.57

05-07 revup
duration ex/in 248
lift ex/in 10.59

because the revup also has intake timing it makes better use of its higher cam profile

as of now going boosted......the non revup is the torque monster. a lot more r&d is being put into these motors since they are becoming cheaper.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:54 AM
^thanks PR for clearing that up. I was gonna get to that.

For boost, I agree with choosing the non rev-up all the way. It's just more readily available than Revup's as Revup's only sold in 05-07 6MT's.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Revo
They were racing off the line...which is all about launch. Both drivers had wheel hop which is bad.

I'd like to see a race from a roll.
this is correct in that no driver is equal at being precise every time they race. there are also more variables to think about when launching. if not done correctly or done the same way for both cars one will always have the advantage.

a 20 or 30 roll would have less chance of error but of course would defeat the purpose of seeing who's faster from the dig.

I can tell u this much about driving variables, I have a friend with an 07 g35 every bolt on u see in my sig except the longtube headers his car is tuned at 270-274whp and 236wtq. mine is 265whp 250wtq tuned excluding the tune of my headers.

wen we 40 roll I keep the car gap and by the time we hit 100 it's about car and half to two steady.

then I have another friend that I go with that has a 05 g35 and he has all the boltons except with shortie headers and a tune. can't remember off the top of my head but he dynoed less on the same dyno. he beats his car to death a lot more than most of my friends.

but when we go at it he jumps me everytime and keeps a gap almost going past two car lengths in the end.

difference in driving skills..........me and my first friend jus launch from 2nd gear at 40.
second friend I believe leaves his car in third and clutch kicks it in second right at the last honk which gives him the jump.....then from every gear on he power shifts til the end.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jairen
^thanks PR for clearing that up. I was gonna get to that.

For boost, I agree with choosing the non rev-up all the way. It's just more readily available than Revup's as Revup's only sold in 05-07 6MT's.
it's sad too that the hr only had a short life. if these engines ever get the r&d they deserve they will be a force to be wrecken with. my friend has 370z and he was the guinea pig for the stage 2 Gtm supercharger kit. on a 9psi pulley he was pushing 510whp on a stock block. by because no one really knows the limits of the vhr he went with a 8 psi pulley which put him at 478whp ant 370-380wtq.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Seems as if the HR was just an unfinished VHR imho.

PR how are the headers treating you?

I have JWT C cams collecting dust and waiting to be installed along with the JWT clutch and flywheel combo. My move to Italy from SoCal has halted all mods.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
My top end has helped me but I haven't tuned with them on. I won't get that much more out of them though since I'm a non revup. still deciding if I'm gonna get cams....what kills me is if I go as far as doin the cams I might as well clean and rebuild my heads.....which leads me to might as well build the whole block .

I have about 120k on my car now and it still runs with bolted revups so I can't complain.....what bothers me is how much I really would be getting out of my engine if it were new again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 04 vs 05 6mt performance wise