need a little alternator help..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a little alternator help..

trying to get the damnned thing off...
i have a 2003 G Coupe..Ivory pearl
alternator went out on me crusing last night with the girlfriend car was left running in walgreens parking lot with her in it and it just cut off. also had to jump it off before we left her house to head that way..battery is brand new so my guess is that alt. i've been under it all morning. removed the guard losened the pully and i removed 2 bolts from the alt. now this is where my question comes in...how many bolts hold the thing on? those were the only two i could see and they were in the front. but it won't come out..its just wiggling..also unplugged the wire harness from it.. please help.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
According to the Factory Service Manual, there are 3 bolts holding it on. 1 Big bolt that goes through the top of the alternator and then 2 smaller bolts on the bottom that go through the alternator stay bracket..... one of which goes into the alternator itself, and the other which goes through the bracket and into then into the motor to secure the assembly to the motor.

I'm assuming you removed the mounting bracket?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Update* yes I removed the bracket.. There was a piece attached to the back of the alternator that held two wires for the wire harness on plastic clips...that's what was keeping the damn thing from coming out. So..here we go with the current problem..
I reinstall everything even go get my brand new battery replaced....I go to start the car ....
CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
Why does it sould like the starters bad? So I think maybe I didn't tighten the ground on the alternator enough because it was in a hell of a spot so let me try tightening it up a bit more...
Radiator fans come out again...etc... It was a tad bit loose.. Now for some reason I can't get the belt back on to save my life. I've loosened and tightened the tension idler pulley atleast 100 times each way.. N I still can't get enough slack to slide the belt back on..n this is funny to me because I had it back on then took it back off to tighten the ground on the alt. any suggestions would help at this point. I'm getting frustrated, ive been under the car for more than 8 hours for what should have been a simple job. I'm almost to th point of having it towed to the shop

Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Check wiring for the battery. Grounds etc. Also check wiring to the starter. This sounds like it's either the battery or alternator.

Check all your connections, if they look fine (no corrosion, look fine), take your battery out and if you feel up for it your starter as well. Bring them both to an auto parts store and get them tested on a bench tester.