G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

04 G35 Clutch/Flywheel install no start issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 G35 Clutch/Flywheel install no start issue

Ok, I recenty purchased an 04 g35 coupe that the clutch crapped out me after about a week. The throwout bearing shelled on me. So, I ordered a southbend clutch kit with flywheel and took it down to the local shop to install it....

After they put the car back together it cranks over just fine, but won't start. It acts like it wants to start during the first second of cranking then just keeps cranking with no indication of wanting to start. It doesn't seem to be getting spark or fuel after that first second. I know that the battery was disconnected for 3 days while they waited for a new input shaft cover to show up.

Things they've tried and I've suggested after searching:

1. Replace crank sensor since it was covered in shavings from the old clutch
2. Brought my spare key in just in case the one they had magically crapped out
3. Called several shops and southbend. Everyone except southbend said the flywheel was indexed wrong. Of course the shop it's at says they indexed it right....
4. Tried disconnecting the crank sensor and still no start
5. No red security light is on during cranking, supposedly there is no NATS codes, and key fob also still works.
6. Starter fluid won't start the car and there is no gas smell after frequent cranking

So, what else could be wrong with this? It ran when I dropped it off and now doesn't.... I seem to be beating my head against a wall and they are taking their sweet time troubleshooting it.

Also, I tried to DL the FSM in the sticky and I can't. I figured it would give a trouble shooting procedure for no spark/no fuel situation.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 AM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Have them check that it's indexed right. Don't take their word for it.

Simple fact of that matter is that the car worked (as in started/ran) when it got there - regardless of the condition of the clutch, and now it doesn't. They effed up. Clutch job is usually a 1 day job lasting 4-6 hours, so the fact that you're stuck without a car means that they need to be deducting the cost of a rental car off whatever they were charging you to do the service and even drop the price a bit more on top of that for all the trouble.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 AM
any update?

looking to replace my clutch/flywheel and came across Southbend. what ended up being the problem?

how's the southbend clutch/flyweel working for you? thanks!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM
The clutch and flywheel are great. I do get a little "cement mixer sound" but its mild. The pedal feel is pretty light and the engagement it great. I've been driving it for a month almost? And I love it. Its great for my daily driving near stock 240whp car. Plus its rated at a Hp that gives me a little room to grow.

The shop had bent the exciter/reluctor ring on the flywheel and had to straighten it out. After that it started right up!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info and good to hear they got it worked out.

So there is still noticeable chatter? From their product description, the southbend flywheel being ~20lbs would have no chatter... hmmmm

Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 AM
Having never driven a stock g35 or 350z I can't say how it compares to stock. I know that from what I've listened to on you tube its much less than several other brands. I can say its much quieter than the sewing machine noise of my ls swapped 240.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed a Southbend Clutch and Flywheel combo last week. Clutch feels great! Engagement is spot on. I get zero chatter at idle!! (that was my main concern). I do get a little chatter if I shift at a very low speed... For example if I take off on 2nd from stop, I get a little chatter, or if I shift from 3-4 at a very low speed. But under normal driving conditions I hear nothing!!

As for the clutch install.... It was fairly easy. I gave myself 2 days just cause I never dropped a tranny on a rear wheel drive car. Honestly the hardest part of the job was the exhaust bolts. They were rusted to crap!!!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 PM
I have a 2006 6MT coupe had engine work doe now mechanic can't get spark it turns over strong but will not turn over Pease help Thanks