G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clutch making noise when shutting off engine...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch making noise when shutting off engine...

Hi... I have an 06 G35 6MT with 59,000 miles... A couple weeks ago I noticed the following... The car starts and drives just fine... Shifting gears works the same as it always has... Everything is fine until the moment when you shut it off (in neutral and with the clutch pedal out). If you do that, at the very end of the engine shutdown you hear what I would call a rattle that last not more than a second... But it's clearly noticeable and clearly different than it used to be...

Since I still have 4 months and 11,000 miles of power train warranty left I took it down to my Infiniti dealer today to let them listen to it... They brought out one of their mechanics... He could clearly hear the noise and he told me it was almost certainly a bit of normal wear that has now become noticeable and is the sound of the "dual clutch" chattering a bit as the engine/transmission comes to a halt...

I am ignorant of manual transmission clutches (or clutches in general) other than I know how and when to push pedals and shift gears... It's not an ominous sounding noise... It's just new and like I said, I'd like to know whether I have a problem that needs to be dealt with before the warranty runs out...

Can anyone share thoughts on what this might be??? Normal??? Something maybe about to fail??? I have an appointment to drop the car off at Infiniti this Thursday just to have them do a maintenance item (change coolant called for at 60k miles) and to give this a further look back in their maintenance bay...

But they told me to change the coolant costs $180... Can anyone tell me why it is sooooo expensive to drop and replace the coolant??? I might drop the entire appointment if anyone hear tells me the rattle is likely normal... Again, imagine a normal shutdown of the engine and then a rattle that goes on say one second longer than the sound of the engine shutting down... And again, it only happens if the car is running in neutral with the clutch pedal out...

Any thoughts??? And any idea why coolant change out should cost $180??? Any help would be much appreciated... thanks.. bob...

Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That does show some wear on the flywheel with the dual mass, has happened to me in mine.
Coolant Change costs 180 because youre at the stealership

Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Clutch sound is common. Mine had it from 2000 miles on the odometer.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:45 AM
@diitto.....So I have a 04 coupe 6mt with 59000k miles and Damn bro I notice that same sound just recently, With my car not only when i turn off the engine i hear that rattling delay but I have the sound when the clutch is in (neutral) and the pedal is not pressed down. I here a 'chattering' or 'rattling' noise like if the bearing is grinding or something...its very faint and you can bearly hear it..but if u listen closely you can hear it..... When I step on the pedal all the way down the noise goes away..this make me believe it has something to do with the throw out bearing....I am very concerned because in my case the person I bought my car from had just replaced a complete clutch system like 4 months ago.

Dual Mass Flywheels
Clutch plate
Pilot bushing
Bearings

Now that I hear this noise I was gonna post the same question as you. Hopefully somebody here can give a direct answer as to why this happens? and if this would be a problem? you say you taking it in to the dealer to get it further looked at? Well if you get a answer i would like for a reply on the issue...

Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine rattles as well when i turn off the car-unless I hold the clutch pedal down. I read on here some time in the past that the clutches are "noisy"....I figured it was just that. Clutch behaves normally while driving-especially after I changed out the fluid thanks to the DIY I found on it-search bar ftw...lol

Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
This is a pretty normal sound. It is indicative of wear, but not of impending failure. Don't worry about it unless it gets LOUD and happens while the car is running haha!

Don't get your coolant changed at the dealer!! Ask around at work or school for a good mechanic in the area.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few months ago I bought a 2004 G35 2dr 6MT and soon after, I also had this annoying clutch noise start! From what I have gathered, it is the clutch throwout bearing (as people have already mentioned). I'm told it should be okay as long as the clutch is not actually slipping…

The noise is not consistent and doesn't happen all the time. And it seems to be less likely to occur when the weather is warmer/hot.

I get the noise when I turn the car on with the clutch pressed in and then even when pressing the clutch in to change gears while moving.

Is there really no way to fix this without replacing the clutch. It's super embarassing when you feel like 'Oh, that's right, my car IS a total badass -- Oh, wait. It makes stupid a$$ noises!'

Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson
A few months ago I bought a 2004 G35 2dr 6MT and soon after, I also had this annoying clutch noise start! From what I have gathered, it is the clutch throwout bearing (as people have already mentioned). I'm told it should be okay as long as the clutch is not actually slipping…

The noise is not consistent and doesn't happen all the time. And it seems to be less likely to occur when the weather is warmer/hot.

I get the noise when I turn the car on with the clutch pressed in and then even when pressing the clutch in to change gears while moving.

Is there really no way to fix this without replacing the clutch. It's super embarassing when you feel like 'Oh, that's right, my car IS a total badass -- Oh, wait. It makes stupid a$$ noises!'
I have same problem and just because I did a complete clutch flywheel change. I'm now thinking maybe my tranny mount need to be replace. Anybody think this will help.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine does the same thing. No need to worry

Old 12-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It's just the G grumbling at you for turning her off. She wants to ride!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 06 that I got in November makes the same sound. I had them replace the whole clutch kit and resurface the flywheel under the 90 day warr. It's quieter but still rattles a bit. From what I've read and as mentioned here, it's unfortunatly common in this luxury sport coupe/

I would imagine the 350Z's have the same issue. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have the same sound in mine. I don't worry about it and it hasn't affected performance, nor it is really that noticeable. I'm just letting mine go until the clutch goes then completely replacing everything in it.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Banned
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
its ur flywheel ..

Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by diitto
Any thoughts??? And any idea why coolant change out should cost $180??? Any help would be much appreciated... thanks.. bob...
Bob, you're first mistake was going to the stealership for these kinda issues unless you're having them fixed under warranty! You're better off buying a name brand coolant and a gallon of Distilled water and having your local mechanic change it. The hardest part is getting all the air out of the system once it's changed....takes a while. Only noise my MTs ever made was the throwout bearing, but that made noise at idle.
Mrs Robinson
You can get rid of the noise by having a "trans shop" replace your throwout bearing or at least Nissan rather than the Infiniti stealership....Gary

Last edited by gary c; 01-03-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 AM
i think it could be your throwout bearing or your flywheel. i had a similar problem i would hear a rattle whenever my clutch is disengaged.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch making noise when shutting off engine...