G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Trouble sandblasting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble sandblasting

hey guys, im new here i tried searching the forum for a solution since i cant be the only one to have this problem. ive been trying to sandblast and powder coat my stock 03 g35 18" rims. i ran in to a problem tho because the front has a plastic type coating on the front and i cannot sand blast it AT ALL. i had two other people try and sandblast it to no avail. its stuck on there!! i don't think its plasti dipped but i don't know for sure. Any ideas? Heres some pics in can get more if needed.

Attached Thumbnails Trouble sandblasting-img_2338.jpg   Trouble sandblasting-img_2340.jpg   Trouble sandblasting-img_2341.jpg  
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow that's crazy. Is there anything more abrasive than sand? I know nothing about that process but its just a thought...

Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Did you ever consider paint thinner, or possibly even paint stripper?

I guaran-damn-tee you that paint stripper will rip that off in a super hurry, but I'd be curious if it would damage the rim though. Paint stripper is amazing stuff... I've used it to strip that factory black anti-heat crinkle paint off of valve covers on cars and it came off like nothing, even though an angle grinder could barely make a dent in it.

Try paint thinner first and if that doesn't work Spot test some paint stripper on the rim and make sure it doesn't damage it, and if it doesn't... go to town on it with that.

I'm surprised that the factory paint is that tough to get off those rims... curbs seem to have no problem taking it off. Lend your car to your girlfriend.... I'm sure all the paint will be off those rims in a matter of days!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 PM
I had considered chemicals like that but my worry is that since its aluminum and its pores it will soak up the chemicals and the powder coating wont stick to it.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Well, if it those rims are painted then you have to get that paint off somehow. Use sand paper then to get it off.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Toffog87
I had considered chemicals like that but my worry is that since its aluminum and its pores it will soak up the chemicals and the powder coating wont stick to it.
Etch it with another chemical when it's done if that's your concern, or wash it off with mineral spirits after you strip it.... then prime and paint. I don't think paint stripper will have any lasting effects on the rims ability to hold paint though.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes as said, you need to use a decent stripper, i used to run a blast cleaning business, and i could never touch some of the plastic wheel coatings, the stripper will have no lasting affect, and a quick surface prep either with spirit wipe or sand blast to give a really good surface for primer or powder coat will be fine.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Did you ever consider paint thinner, or possibly even paint stripper?

I guaran-damn-tee you that paint stripper will rip that off in a super hurry, but I'd be curious if it would damage the rim though. Paint stripper is amazing stuff... I've used it to strip that factory black anti-heat crinkle paint off of valve covers on cars and it came off like nothing, even though an angle grinder could barely make a dent in it.

Try paint thinner first and if that doesn't work Spot test some paint stripper on the rim and make sure it doesn't damage it, and if it doesn't... go to town on it with that.

I'm surprised that the factory paint is that tough to get off those rims... curbs seem to have no problem taking it off. Lend your car to your girlfriend.... I'm sure all the paint will be off those rims in a matter of days!

yea she deffently would. Shed probly also Grind down 1st and 2nd gear. The car is a 6mt I thought that one through before I bought the car. Lol

Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Does anyone know what material is actually on the rim? it seems like its from the factory.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what size compressor are you using ( horsepower?) cfm at 90psi??? what type of abrasive are you using?...pm me

Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spray them with acid, made to clean rims and strip them of chemicals and debris. Found at any auto detailing supply store. Real store... Not autozone. Then let the Acid Strip off the Paint... you will see it start to bubble a bit. It wont eat into the Aluminum if you dont leave it on for a long time... Five minutes per rim probably. Then wash it off with regular water, flushing the surface very very well... then sandblast the rest! It is pretty easy.