G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Window Rolls Down, but not Back up When Opening Door?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Window Rolls Down, but not Back up When Opening Door?

Hey all,

I've got a question...maybe somebody else has experienced this.

Here lately, when I open my driver door, the window will roll down (as it does normally, to prevent the window from getting caught in the seal), but when I close the door, it refuses to roll back up.

And here's the kicker: Every so often, it will roll back up just fine. It seems more willing to do it when the car is either running, or the accessories are turned on.

I adjusted my windows a few months back (they were rattling, so I tightened the track up, and re-adjusted the glass so that it was seated properly), but never did do the automatic window re-learn. Is there any possibility that this is the reason the car has so suddenly decided to not roll the window back up? It was working fine last week, which is what has me scratching my head.

I'm also wondering if it may just be a loose connection, or an excessively dirty motor that's in need of a cleaning. Any input would be appreciated guys.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I hope someone chimes in, because I'm having the same problem. I did do the relearn thing, but i didnt work.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 PM
So I'm not the only one...

Bumping this up just in case. If most people on here are like me, I tend to look at the bolded threads on the first page, and sort of "write off" the others as resolved or no longer in use.

If I can't dig up any good information on this by later on this week, I'll start trouble-shooting when I get some free time. My first step will be to try re-learning the window to see if it helps. jaythree, I know you said you had no luck, but I'm going to give it a shot for the hell of it and see if maybe the window is assuming it's rolled back up for some reason. If not, then I'll attempt to clean the motor. I know the OEM window motors on our car are fairly weak, so I can imagine if it's excessively dirty, that may prevent it from properly closing the window.

The latter is my biggest suspect right now, especially considering that the window will occasionally roll back up.

Another question for everyone: Is there some sort of sensor on the door that triggers the window to roll down? I'm wondering if it's potentially a worn sensor that's getting contact when the door is opened, but not shut.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 04-23-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
I even bought new motors cuz I thought mine were bad, and relearned them. I'm at a loss. But it only happens when i do the auto roll up, i can pull on it slightly and roll them up. but if I use the autoroll feature, they come back down a bit

Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM
lemme tell you another problem i had with my windows, when my car got painted they took the doors off. When they put them back on, the molex plug in the door jam had paint on them, so my windows didnt work for the longest@

Old 04-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Happened to me after I replaced my window motor after it **** on me. Then all I did was do the reset where you hold the switch up to roll it up and close the door or something or other, then it worked for me. You have to open the door to hit that black reset button though.

Just take off the door panel and then you'll be removing some black little sticky thing between the 3 screws that the motor bolts onto. Then look up a window reset procedure and do that. That's what got my window back to normal

Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by jaythree
I even bought new motors cuz I thought mine were bad, and relearned them. I'm at a loss. But it only happens when i do the auto roll up, i can pull on it slightly and roll them up. but if I use the autoroll feature, they come back down a bit
My passenger's side does that if I use the automatic up button. That's an issue with the contacts in the motors themselves.

The PO of my car had the driver's window motor replaced to fix that issue, but not the passenger's. The reason the auto-up feature fails is because the regulator that Nissan uses to stop the window when it reaches the top-most position is made out of cheap plastic gears and little metal clips, and will fall apart over time. I had the same issue with my Maxima.

When I pulled my passenger's side motor out, the regulator for the auto-up stop literally exploded into pieces in my hands. I had an absolute BLAST trying to get it put back together. And even after I fixed it, even WITH the relearn, the window still rolled back down when I used the automatic button. I may mess with fixing that issue when I have some more free time. I was pressed for time that day, and sort of did it all in a hurry.

jb: Thanks for the info. I'll give that a shot when I pull everything apart. I know the thread on doing the re-learn is around here somewhere, and it's a pretty straight-forward process. I suppose it's worth 45 seconds of my time if it'll save me the headache of tearing everything apart and finding out later that that was the issue.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Good Luck!

Old 04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my drivers side window won't go up or down the little bit it's supposed to when the door gets opened or closed. and if i use the auto-up, it goes all the way up, and then goes back down half way on it's own. the only way to get it to stay up is to just use the up, not the auto-up.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this problem for awhile and then my window stopped rolling up. Now I need a new window motor. Anyone have a website where I can buy good after market window motors?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by simphmerj
my drivers side window won't go up or down the little bit it's supposed to when the door gets opened or closed. and if i use the auto-up, it goes all the way up, and then goes back down half way on it's own. the only way to get it to stay up is to just use the up, not the auto-up.
Like I said before, it rolls back down because the auto-up stop regulator is fried.

I guess the fact that your driver's side exhibits the exact same behaviors my passenger's side does (won't crack itself when you open the door, and rolls half way back down when the auto-up is used), shows that both of those options are controlled by the regulator.

I'm going to try and pull my window motors this weekend and take pictures of the auto-up regulators to show everyone why they fail.

The mechanism is stupidly simple. But also extremely shoddily put together, which is why they tend to fail so easily. I'm wondering if they're rebuildable at all...

Old 04-24-2012, 05:20 PM
I attempted to rebuild my motor and got the brushes swapped out but then i couldnt get the lid on the magnet back in so i decided to hell with it and bought a refurbished one. Wasnt too bad though

Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 AM
I know there is a place in Katy Texas that rebuilds them for 80 bux

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Thats not bad at all. I got mine for about 108 shipped from somewhere in FL and it works well. They also offer a 30 dollar core exchange if you ship em back your old un-tampered motor but unfortunately mine has been molested pretty badly so i just kept mine

Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Yea, that's an even better price, but i had molested mine also. Oh well, mine still dont work like they should, but once i get home, I'll try them again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window Rolls Down, but not Back up When Opening Door?