G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

One Month review without the G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One Month review without the G35

Hey all, thought I'd throw a review out there of one month without the g and a month in a brand new economy car. As I stated in a previous post, I trade my 2003 G35 coupe in for a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta GLI. After a month, I certainly miss my g and below are the pros and cons I've found to leaving for economy.

Pros.

1. Fuel, I went from averaging 18-20, to averaging 29 per tank, and if I drive freeway 35mpg on a trip. I have saved about 60 dollars from filling up one less time.

2. Comfort on longer trips. Honestly, I never found the g35 to be uncomfortable, but you definitely felt every bump. The GLI has independent sport suspension, but the all season tires and softer suspension lead to a more comfortable ride while still keeping a decently sporty drive

3. Power, this ties in with the Fuel part. The GLI is 200hp/207lbs torque and for some reason, feels almost equally as quick. Slightly less, but not by much and still maintaining around 10mpg more. Happy with this part

Cons

1. It's not a G. Nothing sounds better or feels better than mashing the pedal and hearing the throaty exhaust and feeling that smooth acceleration

2. Interior(this won't apply to all that trade for a new car because every car has different interior build quality). On my GLI I have tons of interior rattles already and feel like I'm in a plastic box, even though 95 percent of my interior is soft touch and leather. They cheaped out on the doors and you can hear it and feel it. Been to the dealership multiple times for it. At the end of the day, my G's interior while dated, still felt solid and made little to no noise. Dissapointed in Volkswagen here

3. Reliability. My G has almost 100k on it and still ran like new. In 12k of used milage, I never once had any real mechanical issues. My volkswagen has already been in for a faulty water pump, and threw a blinking CEL(misfire) in the first 2000 miles. We'll see if things improve here, but I'm not holding my breath.

Verdict. If I had to do it all over again, I would have traded my 2 door G in for a brand new G37 sedan, or a G25 sedan. Infiniti is top notch, and Volkswagen is germexican and not cutting it in some areas. I'll most likely finish my lease, or end early if I can get out cheap and make my way back into the Infiniti world.

Hopefully those thinking about trading their G in for better fuel economy or any other reason, will find this helpful.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sucks to hear you're having a bad time with VW.. but I never liked their cars either. Hope to still see you around the forums since you'll be back soon enough. 8) Glad to see that the G is a good choice. Save money on parts for gas? Good trade off. Haha All German perts are expensive.. so.. not too into german except BMWs. They've treated me good over the years.. but then again.. I drive like a grandpa. Haha

Old 05-04-2012, 02:37 AM
Yeah, there are still tons of positives with the VW though. It's under warranty as well during the lease, so that made the decision easier(plus the no cost maintenance for 3 years 36k). Seeing things like this makes missing the G Slightly more bearable. 40 mile trip today yielded me this on the highway

Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold my g to my brother and bought a 330i 5mt sport.

The car is quiet handles well fairly quick and I get 30-32 highway average 26-28.

Cons

Quality. Overhauled cooling system, replaced front brushing. All common problems with e46's. Has less than 85k miles. Read about possibility of subframe cracks. I don't have any... Thank god.

Should have bought a g sedan. Price made me get it.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues with the GLI. Just be happy that you didn't get a Jetta, even worse. They definitely stripped down these cars to hit their huge sales goals. Have an 09 GLI that is much better quality than the newer models. It's now my son's car and every time I drive it, I am so happy to jump in my G.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:24 PM
I have a 2007 Honda Fit as a DD 30mpg, I really dislike this car. So happy for the weekend so I could drive my G's.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 PM
I had an 03 jetta 2.0... while lacking in power, it was manual and full of torque so it was still some what enjoyable. That car was solid, 4 wheel disc brakes, a great interior that had a butt load of nifty gadgets, and great gas milage. I was in love with VW's for the price I paid, it was full of good things... now...

Now I havent driven a new jetta, and I really dont want to. They've done away with 4 wheel disc brakes, and have moved BACK to drums... a 2012 brand new car has drum brakes... WTF! Their whole "under 20k" deal has destroyed their reputation of being a step below luxury while still in an economy price range.

Sad Day VW... sad day...

Old 05-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
I personally would have traded it in for a GTI, but I understand you needed a bigger car and better fuel economy. But hey, at least you're saving at the pump! I had a choice between a GTI and a G35 a year ago and stuck with the G because my parents and I have owned Infinitis for years and they are so reliable. Hopefully your VW problems get fixed!

Old 05-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by dreamreality
I personally would have traded it in for a GTI, but I understand you needed a bigger car and better fuel economy. But hey, at least you're saving at the pump! I had a choice between a GTI and a G35 a year ago and stuck with the G because my parents and I have owned Infinitis for years and they are so reliable. Hopefully your VW problems get fixed!
I was actually leaning towards the GTI, infact I picked that but I refused to get it in an Auto, but my wife said no way jose, its gotta be an auto. So at that point I said I'm not going to have much fun anyway, bring on the GLI. The DSG isn't horrible though

Old 05-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been looking at GLIs lately to replace my truck. I drove one and really liked it. Your comments really make me rethink the decision to get one. I've already started looking at different cars.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tedisky
I've been looking at GLIs lately to replace my truck. I drove one and really liked it. Your comments really make me rethink the decision to get one. I've already started looking at different cars.
The car itself has a lot of great features for the money. I've talked to a lot of people who have had no issues at all. However, I'd advise the GTI over the GLI. The GTI interior seems to have much better fit and finish

Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
my friend's jetta had so many problems.. i would never trade my G in for that.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
German cars always run into reliability issues.

Thats why i sold my mercedes and bought the g35. Just don't keep the car out of warranty. The g35 doesn't drive as nice or as fast as my mercedes but it doesn't break.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
German cars always run into reliability issues.

Thats why i sold my mercedes and bought the g35. Just don't keep the car out of warranty. The g35 doesn't drive as nice or as fast as my mercedes but it doesn't break.
Correction: German luxury cars always run into reliability issues. All the vw's i know are still solid as the day they were bought.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 3n1gm4
Correction: German luxury cars always run into reliability issues. All the vw's i know are still solid as the day they were bought.
what are you? a comedian?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: One Month review without the G35