G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Upper spoilers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upper spoilers

Sorry if this is covered somewhere. Lots of threads here and I did some skimming but couldnt find it.

I bought an '06 coupe a few weeks back and the previous owner put an upper spoiler on it. There any benefits from having this or is it mainly cosmetic? Im not too big on it so I was thinking about removing it but wanted to check on here first. Also, if I do remove it and try to sell it, how much do these go for used?

Thanks guys.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Pics would be best, but since you don't have any, when you say "upper spoiler", do you mean a spoiler on top of a spoiler or do you mean a roof spoiler that connects at the window trim? I don't think either will add an aerodynamic benefit as I'm sure these spoilers are simply aesthetic.

The amount of cash you can get really depends. If you sell yours when nobody wants one, you probably won't get didly squat. But, I'd say you can look to gain about 100-150 bux or so. It's not really an expensive part

Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Sorry, I assumed you all would just know what I was talking about haha. Its the one above the rear window.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Yeah. No aerodynamics and prolly $150's.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Taking the roof spoiler may be problematic depending on what double sided adhesive they used.
If it's the 3M industrial stuff, it's on there for good.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:50 PM
pishtaw. Heat gun and patience will get that right off. I took mine off (last thursday matter fact) to fix a crack in it cuz I bought a white one with the same dealio. It took me 20minutes to remove, 1hr to fix it, and 3 minutes to stick it back on. It's not a big deal.

However, unless you strip and prime that, you're gonna have to find someone with YOUR color car that wants it. Also, the brand will garner more money. Name brand/quality demands more premium than an ebay piece.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by irishsig
Taking the roof spoiler may be problematic depending on what double sided adhesive they used.
A buddy of mine is going to cut and buff the car for me so Ill take it off then and let him remove all the gunk thats left over on the paint before he waxes it.

edit- Its also coming a little lose on the edges so I dont think they used anything worth a damn to "install" it.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by driftsucky
pishtaw. Heat gun and patience will get that right off. I took mine off (last thursday matter fact) to fix a crack in it cuz I bought a white one with the same dealio. It took me 20minutes to remove, 1hr to fix it, and 3 minutes to stick it back on. It's not a big deal.

However, unless you strip and prime that, you're gonna have to find someone with YOUR color car that wants it. Also, the brand will garner more money. Name brand/quality demands more premium than an ebay piece.
Ill just let whoever buys it prep it for paint unless itll help me sell it quicker. Where would I look to find out the brand? Would a logo or name be on the bottom side of the thing?

Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by irishsig
There's an easier way to remove the roof spoiler installed with double sided tape. Use flossing nylon thread and cut thru double sided tape and then it's easier to remove the tape from the car and the spoiler.
To reinstall spoiler use new 3M double sided tape. ..

Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Upper Spoiler can only be one thing....LMAO

Very nice lookin coupe Unstable, if you intend to remove the "Roof Spoiler" it can be done using the same process as debadging. With all the double sided tape that must be on there to hold it on leave it out in the sun for an hour and then start on one side with fishing line, floss won't survive it's not strong enough. Once you get to the center switch sides. When it's off you'll need to saturate where the tape is with Googone, be patient it might take an hour it's a picky job. Wash, then use ScratchX to remove any blems and polish, then your done....I was never a fan of roof spoilers either!
Gary

Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by cvipgo
There's an easier way to remove the roof spoiler installed with double sided tape. Use flossing nylon thread and cut thru double sided tape and then it's easier to remove the tape from the car and the spoiler.
To reinstall spoiler use new 3M double sided tape. ..
or jus get a piece of card board and slide it through in an up down motion. much easier

Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the info guys

Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
or jus get a piece of card board and slide it through in an up down motion. much easier
By doing it his way....^....you can also remove the paint! Not recommended!
Gary

Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
After you get that spoiler off, you should look into getting the black removed from those rims ASAP.

Just food for though.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
By doing it his way....^....you can also remove the paint! Not recommended!
Gary
lol ive never had that happen. the paint has gotta be super shitty for a peice of card board paper to be able to take the paint off

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upper spoilers