G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

stillen headers legal or illegal?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation stillen headers legal or illegal?!

i live in PA are stillen 304 stainless steel headers legal?!!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Sure why not.. You won't get much performance out of them though..

Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
because of emmision and stupid **** but yeah iknow not right off the bat i wont

Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
I hear it wont pass the visual.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
The Stillen headers are not currently CARB approved - they are apparently still pending. They will pass the sniffer test, however.

The general consensus regarding anything short of a supercharger or turbo is that if you have stock cats, you will pass the sniffer.

The Stillen headers add over 10whp and something like 18wtq - which is not insignificant. However, most people see header installs as "not worth it" because you will pay a lot for the gains. There ARE gains though...don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you are doing the install yourself or have found a shop to do the install for relatively cheap (like 2-300 bucks), then I'd say it's worth it. A lot of guys get $1000 cat-back systems that don't even give them half the power gain - but you never hear anyone say anything about the return of investment of that mod.

There are too many people on the forum that just "bandwagon up." They see other people say headers make no power or aren't worth it, and they just spit that information out on any relevant thread to boost their post count.

I had DC Headers installed during my engine swap (so install was free) and the DC Headers are CARB approved. They make less power than the Stillen headers, however. I paid $450 for my headers shipped to my door off Amazon, and just handed them to my shop (who ironically, is Stillen themselves) and they installed them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Revo:
g35kid995 (06-03-2012), Maxonn (04-12-2013)
Old 06-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
You save weight too when putting of aftermarket headers, a few lbs according to at least two people i know who have them.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:01 PM
thanks guys great feed back. it was really stupid of me i orderd them this morning i didnt even think to check if they would pass or not hahahah now buying em and not bein able to use em now thats a waste haha:P

Old 06-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Dunno how it is in your state, but I believe in most states, any modification to a stock exhaust is illegal. Not to say you can't easily get away with it though.

The following users liked this post:
Frankieg35 (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I live in Lancaster pa i don't have headers yet but I did install test pipes and didn't have a problem passing inspection

Old 06-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Revo
The Stillen headers are not currently CARB approved - they are apparently still pending. They will pass the sniffer test, however.
The general consensus regarding anything short of a supercharger or turbo is that if you have stock cats, you will pass the sniffer.

The Stillen headers add over 10whp and something like 18wtq - which is not insignificant.
* Stillen is the same company that claims that kinda HP gains with there intakes which we all know is incorrect!
There are too many people on the forum that just "bandwagon up." They see other people say headers make no power or aren't worth it, and they just spit that information out on any relevant thread to boost their post count.
* One sure way to tell how much HP headers are worth is to ask your tuner. Long tube headers with a cost of $2K+ will get you close to 8/10 RWHP increase, the shorty's much less. We've heard of members here on DRIVER spending $600 for header install frequently.
Originally Posted by Jhambor
Dunno how it is in your state, but I believe in most states, any modification to a stock exhaust is illegal. Not to say you can't easily get away with it though.
Jhambor, did you forget you live in Florida you guys don't have laws or rules like the rest of us.... Where I get my license renewal (Smog Test) every two years is just concerned about the sniffer test results....nothing else.
Gary

Old 06-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Gains with headers on the DE engine are minimal. You need to add cams for anything worth while. HR is a different story.

Where in Buks county PA??? I'm from the solebury/Doylestown area and I'm moving back to PA next week. I'd be happy to help where possible.

Last edited by parhamm1; 06-04-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Originally Posted by Revo

The Stillen headers add over 10whp and something like 18wtq - which is not insignificant. However, most people see header installs as "not worth it" because you will pay a lot for the gains. There ARE gains though...don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you are doing the install yourself or have found a shop to do the install for relatively cheap (like 2-300 bucks), then I'd say it's worth it. A lot of guys get $1000 cat-back systems that don't even give them half the power gain - but you never hear anyone say anything about the return of investment of that mod.

I had DC Headers installed during my engine swap (so install was free) and the DC Headers are CARB approved. They make less power than the Stillen headers, however. I paid $450 for my headers shipped to my door off Amazon, and just handed them to my shop (who ironically, is Stillen themselves) and they installed them.
CARB only applies to CA, he lives in PA, therefor irrelevant

as far as gains, OP has an '03. that means nonRevUp. nonRevUps do not make "worth while" gains from any type of header, w/o aftermarket cams. RevUps can w/stock cams and tuning.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Love your sedan^ thank you for reiterating my comment!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:11 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGenius
CARB only applies to CA, he lives in PA, therefor irrelevant

as far as gains, OP has an '03. that means nonRevUp. nonRevUps do not make "worth while" gains from any type of header, w/o aftermarket cams. RevUps can w/stock cams and tuning.

Your wrong, because PA is one of the states that follows CARB standards. So his statement is valid. States have the option of following Federal EPA standards or california CARB standards. CARB standards are more strict. If the headers were CARB approved with a carb number he could legally run them in PA since PA follows CARB.

If they don't have carb numbers, you can probably still run them but it'll be a gamble whether or not the smog tech will notice or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...sion_standards

Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Your wrong, because PA is one of the states that follows CARB standards. So his statement is valid. States have the option of following Federal EPA standards or california CARB standards. CARB standards are more strict. If the headers were CARB approved with a carb number he could legally run them in PA since PA follows CARB.

If they don't have carb numbers, you can probably still run them but it'll be a gamble whether or not the smog tech will notice or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...sion_standards
good point but the CARB standards that other states have adopted aren't a blanket "we have all the same rules as CA" statement. if you search actual PA code, you'll see that in their "visual anti-tampering check" they mention CARB numbers in no way. on their state's website it only mentions the adopted CARB standards in a very specific way referring to "new" 2008 and up vehicles. so it's pretty unclear how much of what they'll actually be enforcing/adopting. best way to find out would be to go ask one of his local SMOG stations, even here in CA different stations interpret certain parts of the code differently.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: stillen headers legal or illegal?!