G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Chatter during acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chatter during acceleration

I have taken my car into the dealership and they have looked into this problem twice now. Its completely random but during acceleration usually up around 3000-4000 rpm my car under load will chatter.

They have pulled the transmission, changed fluids, checks the flywheel and clutch and all seem to be in great condition. Usually after they look at it and change the fluids, the chatter goes away for a while. I kept thinking something might be in the fluid causing the chatter, but they filter the fluid and found nothing...

Anyone experience this, or anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Does it do it when the clutch is fully engaged or while slipping the clutch?

Do you lose a lot of power while it's chattering, as if to signify clutch slippage? Do any of your dashboard lights flicker on when this is happening, such as the VDC light?

Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 PM
There's no slippage in the clutch. the chatter frequency increases as the rpm's climb. When they dismantled the transmission it showed no signs of slippage.

No power loss, the car runs normal, just sounds bad and the sound isn't consistent. No lights come on.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Do you have any idea of the exact location of where the sound might be coming from? I'm trying to get a feel for how sure you are that it's coming from the tranny/clutch area.

You might want to check your driveshaft to make sure there's nothing tangled up in it which could be spinning against the body of the car whenever it happens to slip into a certain location under there.

I actually have one of these that I bought for isolating the source of the noise in situations exactly like this:

Amazon Amazon

I have never had a need to use this on any of my own vehicles (knock on wood), but I've used it about 5 times on my buddies Jeep Wranler POS, and it really helps you find the source of weird noises that are only reproducible while actually driving.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
G35 Coupe 6MT
faced the same problem, chattering during acceleration.. turned out my cats were knocking against the heat shield.

The following users liked this post:
That's G (06-29-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Do you have any idea of the exact location of where the sound might be coming from? I'm trying to get a feel for how sure you are that it's coming from the tranny/clutch area.

You might want to check your driveshaft to make sure there's nothing tangled up in it which could be spinning against the body of the car whenever it happens to slip into a certain location under there.

I actually have one of these that I bought for isolating the source of the noise in situations exactly like this:

http://www.amazon.com/JS-Products-Ch...an+chassis+ear

I have never had a need to use this on any of my own vehicles (knock on wood), but I've used it about 5 times on my buddies Jeep Wranler POS, and it really helps you find the source of weird noises that are only reproducible while actually driving.

Drive shaft is clear. I mentioned before that the frequency of chatter increases with rpms... this morning I noticed that when i shifted while accelerating when i pressed the clutch in and the rpms rose slightly, the chattered continued with it. So now I'm thinking maybe in the motor. But when I put the car in neutral and rev it, the chatter doesn't appear. This is driving me crazy. Tomorrow I am going to take it to the dealer I guess and leave it there until they figure it out.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you switched your catalytic converters or are they stock?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 05CoupeMT
faced the same problem, chattering during acceleration.. turned out my cats were knocking against the heat shield.
Ahhh...makes sense. I have this problem on my 5AT. It chatters while accelerating and is more noticeable in second. I'll have to check this out. Good lookin' out!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
update?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I have the same issue. It's def not the clutch chatter noise, and ONLY happens when the engine is under a load. It kind of sounds like a loose washer under a bolt head jiggling. But then why wouldn't the noise happen when just reving the motor?

Keep us updated on what the dealer finds...

Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by krazzyborri
I think I have the same issue. It's def not the clutch chatter noise, and ONLY happens when the engine is under a load. It kind of sounds like a loose washer under a bolt head jiggling. But then why wouldn't the noise happen when just reving the motor?

Keep us updated on what the dealer finds...
The motor/tranny will move/jerk a lot more on the mounts when it's under load and you gas it in comparison to when you just rev it in neutral. Maybe that extra movement is what's causing the parts to rub.

Have you checked out your mounts and any bushings to make sure they aren't too worn out and allowing your motor/tranny too much ability to shift around in the chassis when under heavy load?

Old 07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check your heat shields.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Exclamation

Does it sound like this?
AUDIO LINK
I had a zoomH2N mic taped under the drivers side control arm brace. Pointed towards the exhaust.
It sounds like rattling where the exhaust or the transmisson is.
I have to press the gas pedal at the right angle to hear it for a lenght of time.
I beleive it only makes the sound when the car is warmed up.
Any ideas?
I hope its just crakling of an exhaust?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Mine does the same thing..its more noticeable when the car has been sitting long enough to cool down. Once it heats up( after about 2 miles) it tends to go away.... I thought it might be clutch related but I also just installed a hks rep. Exhaust and it didn't do this prior to install. Or atleast I didn't notice it before.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm hearing the same thing, it only happens in the upper RPM's and on 3/4-full throttle. Hopefully it's something as simple as a heat shield

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chatter during acceleration