G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

LED Bulb or Strip in Clearance Lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Bulb or Strip in Clearance Lights?

What would you guys prefer between swapping out for LED bulbs in the clearance strip or modding it to put a whole LED strip in there? I've searched for DIY's on the LED strip and have had no luck. I'd start it off myself but too chicken to do it without any guidance.

I actually bought these and thought it would be simple but that wasn't the case for me
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...ncestrips.aspx

But I started looking at these bulbs as well.
https://g35driver.com/forums/accesso...hite-leds.html

Last but not at least, I wanted to know everybody's opinion on the best bulbs to light up the whole clearance strip. Same with the clear corners.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i ordered some similar LED strips...how was the install hard? like what did it require you to do? I'm waiting on mine in the mail so I'll probably have a similar task. Is it just wiring them into the fuse box? Or splicing the wires with the parking lights?

LED strips will obviously light up the strip better, but the LED bulbs are direct replacement...plug-n-play. so it's up to you. I tried an LED bulb and it looked good, but I'm gonna try testing out these LED strips and make my decision from there.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Don't quote me on this but it looks like they would just splice with the parking lights. I opened up the headlight assembly, took the clearance strip out and the plastic design part that we see from the outside, it sits in a similar shaped case where there it only a little hole for the bulb to fit in. My problem is making room for the strip to fit.

I've read somewhere on here that a guy cut open that casing from the back and secured the strip with a couple dabs of silicone. Again, I'm too scared to do so without any guidance plus I have little time. Let me know how your project goes though!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
All prior accounts that I have seen have stated that in order for the strips to work properly you have to Bake the Headlights to get them open and then secure them once they headlights are open. A lot of work with a high margin of error for lights. I've seen people do crazier things, but I'd go with the wedge bulbs. Highest praise I've seen given on here were for PIAA Wedge Bulbs with 1 Blue/1White Diode. I haven't purchased these yet myself, though I've considered it for about a year now. Regardless of what you go with, post up pics of the finished product.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmmm, sounds like getting the LED strip down "into" the opening for the strip is going to harder than I thought...I figured I would just kind of stick the strip down into the hole! but I guess there isn't really an opening for it??

oh well, looks like I might be returning the LED strips after all