G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Rattling at certain speed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Rattling at certain speed?

I've only had my G for a few days, and I noticed as soon as I hit the 65-75 kph range accelerating OR decelerating, I hear a tinny sounding rattle. It stops if I pick up speed or drop off past the range.

The clutch doesn't FEEL like it slips at all so I think it's fine, what else could it be? I always read people here saying their G's rattled and made noise, but I think this might be something else, its pretty strange sounding and not anything like an interior plastic sound.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Can you tell where the rattling is coming from?
Back or front?
Does it get louder/quiter if the windows are down/up?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 PM
It seems to be central, I'm worried that I'm biased because I'm sitting in the center but I had the windows down when I heard it. It's hard to hear with the wind blowing past but I can't replicate it going slow, I'll go for a cruise now and see if its loud enough to be heard with windows up.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Another thing to listen for is if it gets worse when going over bumps or rough road.
That might narrow it down on whether it's the engine or suspension.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Does it always do it at that same speed, both when the car is warm and when it's cold? It sounds like it could be the heat shield on one of your Catalytic Converters.

Also make sure that you don't have any loose things in the cabin which might be rattling against some part of the car such as water bottles, a flash light, or even some change that could have fallen under the seat and might be rattling against some solid part of the chassis.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by irishsig
Another thing to listen for is if it gets worse when going over bumps or rough road.
That might narrow it down on whether it's the engine or suspension.
I'm 95% sure it's not road related, bumps seem to have no effect.

Originally Posted by partyman66
Does it always do it at that same speed, both when the car is warm and when it's cold? It sounds like it could be the heat shield on one of your Catalytic Converters.

Also make sure that you don't have any loose things in the cabin which might be rattling against some part of the car such as water bottles, a flash light, or even some change that could have fallen under the seat and might be rattling against some solid part of the chassis.
It's when its warm for sure, I never noticed if it was making sound or not when I took it out this morning. That could very well be it though, I have a Y pipe coming in soon so I'll take a look then.

Then only thing that makes me wonder is that its NOT rpm dependant, strictly speed dependant. I even heard it as low as 58kph to about 73kph just now.

I can hear it with the windows up, its coming from in front of me right where the transmission/cats are so hopefully its just the heat shield. Man, day 3 with this car and I'm already stressing

Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Did you buy it used from a dealership?
If so take it in for the tech to listen to, they should have some kind of limited 60 day warranty on it.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Nope, it was a private sale. I think it actually is the heat shields, it sounds tinny like thin metal vibrating and now I can hear it even down to 40kph.

Is there a way to pin them up? I don't even know what they're hitting against, but I'd like to keep them sturdy and held where they should be..

Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by adamj27
Nope, it was a private sale. I think it actually is the heat shields, it sounds tinny like thin metal vibrating and now I can hear it even down to 40kph.

Is there a way to pin them up? I don't even know what they're hitting against, but I'd like to keep them sturdy and held where they should be..
I haven't really taken a close look at the specific construction or mounting mechanism for the heat shields on our converters... but many heat shields come in a 2-piece design where each half of the heat shield covers half of the converter, and the 2 pieces are held together with nuts and bolts threaded through holes that are usually on each of the 4 corners of the heat shield which, when tightened, clamp the 2 halves of the heat shield down onto the converter enough to hold it tight and keep it in place. This is the case on my Tacoma, but the bolts tend to rust out every few years from road salt, and you can usually hear a rattling when one or more of the 4 bolts has given out due to rust completely eating through it to the point that it fell out, leaving the heat shield somewhat loose so that it rattles upon acceleration. It mostly rattles for me when I'm at a low RPM and accelerating under load so that the truck bogs down a bit (manual transmission).

You might be able to put the car up on some ramps, slip under there, and jiggle the heat shields a bit with your hands to see how secure they are... just make sure the car has been sitting for a long time on the ramps before you touch the converters, because they get extremely hot in a very short time and you could severely burn yourself if you're not careful. If you can wiggle them at all with your bare hands, they'll probably rattle on their own when you're driving.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 AM
I'll try to get under there sometime soon, I have no ramps and of course my jack that I used on my Jeep is too big to fit under the little G haha.

Thanks again guys, I'll update when I figure out what it is so others with this issue can see what's up.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey did you locate where the rattling is coming from? i'm also experiencing similar noise definitely coming from below. when I disengage my clutch it usually goes away. it's a definitely rattle. I'm just hoping it's not my clutch bearing going out but it does sound like a loose bolt or heatshield of some sort... give me an update bud!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just to add, it only happens time to time usually when i let go of my gas when in gear. so that can definitely pdoduce some more vibration near my tranny area causing whatever it is that's loose to rattle. i'm going to need to check this out!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a tranny problem

Old 07-30-2012, 01:49 AM
I haven't gotten a chance to look yet, I swapped my lenses today and it took longer than expected. I'll update as soon as my Y pipe comes in.

I really hope its not your clutch

Old 07-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by akoustic
just to add, it only happens time to time usually when i let go of my gas when in gear. so that can definitely pdoduce some more vibration near my tranny area causing whatever it is that's loose to rattle. i'm going to need to check this out!
You may want to check your oil.
Not to freak u out but I had the same rattling when laying off the gas while in gear and it ended up being oil consumption issue.
My engine was 3 quarts low 2000 miles after oil change.
Infiniti replaced the short block for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rattling at certain speed?