G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Please help!!!

ok time to pick your guys heads...... my car is a 2005 g35 coupe A/T. i did a oil change recently (4 mths ago) lol but i started to notice a little tick from my motor when i was checking my tire pressure. so i poped the hood and checked my oil and it wasnt even on the dipstick!!! scared i might have ran it to low i got 3 courts of royal purple (5w30 syn.) and finally got it to show again on the dip stick. i did a little research and i see they had a oil consuption problem ..... now from what i can see its only on ones with 6sp M/T? i dont get ehy the stick shift option would make a difference but i guess it does.... so now im puzzled my car just turned 70k and runs great! i put it on a lift and theres not one drop of a oil leak to be found anywhere ...... my car dont smoke at all and it leaks no oil....... im lost.... please help......

Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The oil consumption issue doesn't apply to A/T cars. Did you fill up with a full 5 quarts at your last oil change? Also check the oil level after the engine has been warmed up.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM
yea i am very good about how much oil i put in for sure. i called infinity and they told me to immediatly get the royal purple out and put 10w30 regular oil back in and it should help. it was a issue on more then just m/t from what the service man told me...... so needless to say its getting the oil changed right now and replaced with mobil 1 10w 30.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:41 AM
he also mentioned we should not run synthetic oil in our cars they do not like it. he told me the last motor they tore apart that the man ran royal purple and there was 2 inches of sludge in under teh valve covers.... hope mines not bad. guess thats what u get for 9 bucks a qt wtf!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
sounds like your dealer doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. used oil analysis show royal purple isn't the best oil for our motors but its not going to cause sludge. That is no doubt from missing oil changes and then they probably switched to royal purple and that started cleaning the sludge, probably clogged their oil pickup or filter, they got low oil pressure and then took it in for service. I'd bet anything the sludge was there before the oil was swapped to synthetic

furthermore there is nothing wrong with using synthetic oil in our motors. Most of us do. I use castrol edge titanium 5w-30 because i like it and no other reason. Your maintenance tech is covering their asses for the common oil consumption issues.

05+ 6speeds have the rev-up motor which is known to have oil consumption issues (automatics still kept the regular version). search on here and be amazed.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:44 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Isn't some ticking normal?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 AM
I did do research on here and I am mechanicaly inclined enought to know where and how to find a oil leak if there is one. Mine is a 05 A/T and I can tell ya right now the only other thing ive seen people on this forum have problems with was leaking valve cover gaskets. Trust me, when I realized my car ate 3 qts of oil as a snack over a couple mths....believe me when I say I did my research, Im not saying your wrong by anymeans because I dont work on them everyday and i understand the covering of there asses part but what I do no is the guy I talked to works on what I drive for a living so sorry to say I took his word and got my oil changed. I am now running mobil 1 10w30. guess only time will tell if he is right.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Speed, after reading all the posts on this thread some of our members know even less about our cars than the dealership clown you talked to. OC does exist will all VQ engines it's just more common with the '05+ 6MT Revup motors. The only time I wouldn't use synthetic oil is if I had bought a high mileage car and didn't know how it was serviced or with what. Often you can have Infiniti check their service records or when possible ask the previous owner. You'll be fine using Mobil1 but check your oil level at least once a week. Very nice coupe Speed, hope this is the end of your issues....Gary

The following users liked this post:
PAIXAO (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been running Royal Purple for over a year now, with no problems. I agree with UCIMA.

I wouldnt switch back to regular after running synthetic.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rimshaker
The oil consumption issue doesn't apply to A/T cars. Did you fill up with a full 5 quarts at your last oil change? Also check the oil level after the engine has been warmed up.
yes on a few rare cases it have been happening.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Speed, after reading all the posts on this thread some of our members know even less about our cars than the dealership clown you talked to. OC does exist will all VQ engines it's just more common with the '05+ 6MT Revup motors. The only time I wouldn't use synthetic oil is if I had bought a high mileage car and didn't know how it was serviced or with what. Often you can have Infiniti check their service records or when possible ask the previous owner. You'll be fine using Mobil1 but check your oil level at least once a week. Very nice coupe Speed, hope this is the end of your issues....Gary
It amazes me how misinformed people are on what is probably the most common and most talked about issue with the VQ motor.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 PM
well im def open to hear everyone so i can be most informed anyone got any more imput cause as of right now my car eats 3 qts in about 3 mths and theres not a spec of oil anywhere and my car doesnt smoke at all. so im lost for words

Old 08-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
its probably not consuming enough to visibly smoke. also synthetic oils tend to not smoke nearly as much as conventional oil making it even harder to spot. If you aren't leaking it and it isn't ending up in your coolant, the only other place for it to ever go is to burn it (or in the case of turbos leak from the turbo into the exhaust/intake)

Run the mobil 1 and see how much you consume. The fact that the tech said run 10w-30 is a little suspicious too since factory recommended is 5w-30. If the tech said not to use synthetic oil then why did you choose the Mobil1, just seems to go against the advice you took to get the synthetic out?

Also I never said AT/nonRevup motors don't have OC issues. All VQs can have it. Sorry if it came off that way. I was just trying to explain why you see so many posts about 05+ MTs having it. More prominent.

Last edited by UCIMAplaya2; 08-22-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:43 AM
the only reason i went with the mobil 1 was because that was what the dealership in my town had and i didnt have the time to change it so i just had them do it. they told me that the oil seeps past the rings and using the 10w30 might help not seep as much by is what i got out of his answer. i dont no well see how this goes if its the same im just gonna switch to brad penn oil and run 5w30 again

Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by speedcretin
the only reason i went with the mobil 1 was because that was what the dealership in my town had and i didnt have the time to change it so i just had them do it. they told me that the oil seeps past the rings and using the 10w30 might help not seep as much by is what i got out of his answer. i dont no well see how this goes if its the same im just gonna switch to brad penn oil and run 5w30 again
Having a conversation with some over the phone at Infiniti wasn't the best place to get quality advice. Most of us that love our G35s use synthetic oil because it's good for our motors. We've heard some negative results from using Royal Purple in our VQ motors. Like I posted previously there's nothing wrong with running Mobil 1 10W/30, I'd continue to do so. If you're going over 3,500 miles between oil changes use a quality filter like WIX. You need to stay away from brad penn you'll get in trouble with his pretty wife. lol
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.