G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Check engine light p1078

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light p1078

Hi guys and gals. I need help with my cel. Went to advance auto got the cel of p1078. Got the part installed. Did the cel reset. Also the throttle procedure and still have a cel. My idle has been 1000-1200 rpms. Been trying to fix it for 2 weeks now and don't want to take it to stealership to check the cel for 150. Is there a easy way to do this. Thanks

Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
From my 2006 FSM:

DTC P1078 (Bank 1) P1084 (Bank 2) EVT CONTROL POSITION SENSOR
Exhaust valve timing control position sensor detects the concave
groove of the exhaust camshaft rear end.
This sensor signal is used for sensing a position of the exhaust camshaft.
This sensor uses a Hall IC.
Based on the position of the exhaust camshaft, ECM controls
exhaust valve timing control magnet retarder to optimize the shut/
open timing of exhaust valve for the driving condition.

DTC No.
P1078 (Bank 1)

Trouble diagnosis name:
Exhaust valve timing control position sensor circuit

DTC detecting condition:
An excessively high or low voltage from the sensor is sent to ECM.

Possible cause:
- Harness or connectors (Exhaust valve timing control position sensor circuit is open or shorted)
- Exhaust valve timing control position sensor
- Crankshaft position sensor (POS)
- Camshaft position sensor (PHASE)
- Accumulation of debris to the signal pick-up portion of the camshaft

Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 PM
P1078 Error Code Stays Alive Regardless - Help Please!

Originally Posted by tommynsxs2k
Hi guys and gals. I need help with my cel. Went to advance auto got the cel of p1078. Got the part installed. Did the cel reset. Also the throttle procedure and still have a cel. My idle has been 1000-1200 rpms. Been trying to fix it for 2 weeks now and don't want to take it to stealership to check the cel for 150. Is there a easy way to do this. Thanks
I'm resurrecting this thread, because I have the same issue, and have done the same (replaced exhaust valve timing sensor on passenger side) in trying to correct the same problems. Problems being, the Service Engine Soon light continues to stay on, even after I removed the negative battery cable for two days, actuated the brake pedal a number of times before re-connecting the cable, and the idle remains high, anywhere from 1,100 to 1,300 RPM.

I went through the procedures of Throttle Valve Closed Learning, Accelerator Pedal Position Learning, Idle Air Volume Learning, Exhaust Valve Timing Control Learning, and Idle Speed Learning, but the Service Engine Soon light comes on, and the high idle problem remains.

I'm at my wit's end with Old Reliable (2006 G35 6MT, well-cared for, 124K miles), and would welcome any enlightenment and/or advice on how to remedy the above.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Hi how are you. You have to do the throttle learn precisely.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Tommy:

Thanks for the reply.

Are talking about the 1. Throttle Valve Closed Position, or 2. Accelerator Pedal Position, or both?

1., is straightforward, just turn ignition key on, and off, according to the Factory Service Manual.

2., is a little more complicated. I did it several times per the Manual, and felt I was pretty precise with steps and their timing. Maybe I need to revisit it again.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Ok. I have googled, checked all over this site and went to the Nissan dealership. I have the p1078 code right now. High idle and it runs rough. I replaced the passenger side angled sensor back in Nov. for a cel. Can't remember the code. But back then it was idling fine. It just felt like it would hit fuel cutoff around 4000 rpms or so. It fixed the problem. The question is which sensor needs to be replaced for that particular code. I have seen some say the angled one and some say the straight one. The nissan dealer said the straight one. Which I am taking it is the intake one since it is on the intake side. Lol. But the code is for the exhaust side. Before I spend $100+ on a sensor it would be great to have a positive answer. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Almightyone
Ok. I have googled, checked all over this site and went to the Nissan dealership. I have the p1078 code right now. High idle and it runs rough. I replaced the passenger side angled sensor back in Nov. for a cel. Can't remember the code. But back then it was idling fine. It just felt like it would hit fuel cutoff around 4000 rpms or so. It fixed the problem. The question is which sensor needs to be replaced for that particular code. I have seen some say the angled one and some say the straight one. The nissan dealer said the straight one. Which I am taking it is the intake one since it is on the intake side. Lol. But the code is for the exhaust side. Before I spend $100+ on a sensor it would be great to have a positive answer. Thanks.
Nissan has the part numbers wrong. I just went through this when I was ordering, what I thought was the correct sensor (the straight connection one) for the exhaust/passenger side. I received the angled one instead! I ordered my sensor from Courtesyparts.com, and after sending them pictures of my old sensor and what I received from them, they conferred with Nissan, and found that part numbers are switched between the driver's side, and the passenger's side. I may still have the package with information, so I will post it later, if it is still at home some place. Bottomline, do not order the part number that relates to the item in the exploded view on the part company's website. The graphics show the correct part, but the part number is actually for the sensor on the driver's side.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Ok. So you are saying I need to order the straight sensor. That is what the guy at Nissan told me. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:06 PM
The angled sensor on the passenger side ended up getting rid of my cel. P1078. Just wanted to let people know just in case they run into the same issue.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
Ok guys there are only 2 part numbers for these 4 sensors, 23731-6J90B is the straight sensor for both sides and 23731-AL61A is the angled sensor for both sides. The angles sensors are the same on both banks as well as the straight sensors.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a ****ing trip. Every search I've done has shown that the straight sensor is the cause to the P1078 but now I'm reading it's the angled one? It would definitely explain why My Service Engine Soon light came back on. Just to make sure, it's on the back side of the engine, passenger side correct? That's where the straight sensor was.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Heytheremr2
This is a ****ing trip. Every search I've done has shown that the straight sensor is the cause to the P1078 but now I'm reading it's the angled one? It would definitely explain why My Service Engine Soon light came back on. Just to make sure, it's on the back side of the engine, passenger side correct? That's where the straight sensor was.
Correct, the straight sensor is directly behind the intake cam and the angled sensor is directly behind the exhaust cam. The angled sensor is the problem sensor. Both on the passenger side. On the driver side it is completely opposite, the angled sensor is for the intake cam and the straight one is for the exhaust cam. Hope this helps brother.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by infinitidude

Correct, the straight sensor is directly behind the intake cam and the angled sensor is directly behind the exhaust cam. The angled sensor is the problem sensor. Both on the passenger side. On the driver side it is completely opposite, the angled sensor is for the intake cam and the straight one is for the exhaust cam. Hope this helps brother.
Sure does. I now have the correct sensor on its way. I wish I found this thread before I ordered the wrong sensor. .

The following users liked this post:
infinitidude (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Awesome bro, glad I could help get this worked out for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check engine light p1078