G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

smoke coming out of oil cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Its the engine that came in starting 05 with 6mt's. Gets 298hp instead of the 280 on AT. I have oil consumption real bad. Luckily the place that does my oil changes tops it off for free. But my last top off of 2.5 quarts was burnt off 1200 miles later. Just got it refilled today.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blues3531
Its the engine that came in starting 05 with 6mt's. Gets 298hp instead of the 280 on AT. I have oil consumption real bad. Luckily the place that does my oil changes tops it off for free. But my last top off of 2.5 quarts was burnt off 1200 miles later. Just got it refilled today.
damn. and which one do you have?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
an 05 6mt lol. I researched and knew about the problem full well before I bought my car but the G I was specifically looking for was an 05 6mt with the spoiler that they stopped using in the 06/07 so I just gambled and lost. Oh well. I don't let it get too low before I top it off.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Rev up were prone to oil consumption issues 05-07 with 6speed. 03-04 weren't. I can go 6,000 miles on my 04/automatic between oil changes with the oil level still full.
I had an OC issue on my 04 coupe and Infiniti replaced my engine under the OC TSB. But I was still under warranty then.

In normal operation, there's going to be hot oil vapor trapped under the valve cover. If you smell oil burning, that could be a sign of worn valve guides. Check your valve covers and see if you see any oil residue. Mines was doing something similar, I'm leaking a bit near the dipstick and it might be getting onto the hot engine causing the burnt smell. I now have to replace my valve covers.

If you're getting blue smoke out the tailpipe on startup, that's cause for concern. White smoke is coolant getting burnt. Let us know if you when you find the issue.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by unvmyg
I had an OC issue on my 04 coupe and Infiniti replaced my engine under the OC TSB. But I was still under warranty then.

In normal operation, there's going to be hot oil vapor trapped under the valve cover. If you smell oil burning, that could be a sign of worn valve guides. Check your valve covers and see if you see any oil residue. Mines was doing something similar, I'm leaking a bit near the dipstick and it might be getting onto the hot engine causing the burnt smell. I now have to replace my valve covers.

If you're getting blue smoke out the tailpipe on startup, that's cause for concern. White smoke is coolant getting burnt. Let us know if you when you find the issue.
im getting neither, the only type of smoke im getting from my exhaust is black smoke at WOT and my exhaust tips are really black but my car is running crazy rich on fuel i just dint know why car was parked for awhile so im guessing the plugs are fouled out gonna change then this weekend was yours a 6mt?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas-G
excuse my ignorance but how would having too much damage it? and how many qts does it take i read in between 4 or 5?
generally excess oil is blown out through the pcv but in terms of large amounts of excess, the crankshaft can foam up the oil and block the oil passages and cause damage to your engine components from locking.

I generally start at 4 qts and just slowly add from there by checking the dip stick. I know it sucks using our dip stick, i dont know why nissan decided it to go through the head, when they can just simply make a extra opening into the oil pan and make it a lot easier to check oil rather then having to angle it in a awkward direction.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by amateurn
op car is a flooded and salvage title i think. Good luck.
op???

Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AmateuRN
OP car is a flooded and salvage title I think. Good luck.
lol

For real though, if you're not burning oil you have nothing to worry about. The oem setup vents crankcase gasses into the valve covers, then recirculates them into the intake to be burned in the normal combustion cycle. Youre over thinking it and worrying about nothing

Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
All G35s are probe to oil consumption, it's just a lot more common on the rev up. The other other years can still have oc

Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by AmateuRN
It was questioned in another thread that Texas-G's car could have possibly been in a flood (due to carfax, years involved and location of car). It had numerous issues when he bought it such as large leaks in bank 1/2.

He has also posted about his dip stick possibly being non-OEM. Could have been the wrong length giving you a wrong level. The car sat for awhile before you bought. Some parts may have began to rott like gaskets or hoses.
yes thats correct, the car does have hail damage and i salvage bacause of that, however i dont think it has flood damage as far as i can tell, but im thinking some hoses might be toasted becasue it was parked for awhile im assuming, so this weekend im going to go ahead and do the tune up and take it from there, but thanks to all that helped i appreciate it so thanks. oh one more thing, is it normal for these cars to make slight head noise? i only seem to hear it at idle slightly once i give it gas it goes away cant hear it at all.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas-G
yes thats correct, the car does have hail damage and i salvage bacause of that, however i dont think it has flood damage as far as i can tell, but im thinking some hoses might be toasted becasue it was parked for awhile im assuming, so this weekend im going to go ahead and do the tune up and take it from there, but thanks to all that helped i appreciate it so thanks. oh one more thing, is it normal for these cars to make slight head noise? i only seem to hear it at idle slightly once i give it gas it goes away cant hear it at all.
Sorry I didn't get back to you Texas. These VQ engines are pretty loud in regards to engine noise. As long as you are not hearing a knocking sound and it accelerates as you give it gas I think you are ok with the noise.

Make sure you have the right dip stick and check your oil after about 15 minutes of turning off your car. If all is good on the stick you should be ok.

If you can take a vid and post the sound in question we might be able to help you more.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by unvmyg
Sorry I didn't get back to you Texas. These VQ engines are pretty loud in regards to engine noise. As long as you are not hearing a knocking sound and it accelerates as you give it gas I think you are ok with the noise.

Make sure you have the right dip stick and check your oil after about 15 minutes of turning off your car. If all is good on the stick you should be ok.

If you can take a vid and post the sound in question we might be able to help you more.
thanks appreciate it, ill try to do that this weekend. appreciate the help.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Once you've checked your radiator fluid and oil and both seem clear I'd get an oil/filter change. Also there's a valve on your right valve cover, remove the hose then you can pull it out with pliers. It should rattle when you shake it, if not clean it with carb cleaner or replace it. If that's plugged it might cause the smoke you're experiencing. For a few $ you can buy and install a HomeDepot catch can (search) that will keep oil out of your plenum....Gary