G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Any of you guys also consider the 330CI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked at a lot of cars, and test drove a lot, as well as driving a few friends cars.
Having owned the same car for 15 years while raising a family, putting my kid through college, etc. This time it was for me, my choice, my car no if's ands or buts....

I looked at and researched the following

BMW 330 Series
Acura TL
G35 Coupe and Sedan (even looked at the Coupe as a possible 6MT)
Lexus iS300
Honda Accord V6

In every case, I was only interested in fully loaded (premium packages, Nav, Tire and wheel packages, etc) I really didn't want to spend more than 50k out the door no matter what.

The honda died quick if only because it was ugly(and I have always owned hondas, but the current styling sucks)

The Acura TL died both for styling and for the FWD (it has been panned for this and the effect on steering) But I did drive one.

the Lexus died for a complete lack of power compared to the others, though I like the styling and quality

The BMW was a sweet car, but... I actually liked the G better, and feature for feature the BMW 330 would have run another 8 or 9 k for the same stuff. I wasn't gonna go M3 due to cost etc..

in the end, the styling of the G, along with the value it was a no brainer.
To top it off, my wife was like " why would you want another sedan, the kids are raised, you rarely have anyone in your car, get the coupe" .... I of course was happy to do as she asked (good women are hard to find)

Even though untill I was 30 I would touch an Automatic, I have settled a bit, so I went with the AT. With the Manual Mode, and the available power it is more than enough.

I made the right choice, the only choice.

Now I have always been a BMW fan - so it was close, frankly I liked the Lexus better than the BMW, but the power was lacking

Old 01-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Hmm... Overall, I think the G35c is a much better choice over the 330. Although, the guy at the BMW dealer was quite convinced that the G35c sucks... but thats just cause he works at BMW.

My experiences with test drives / other cars before buying the G35c:
1. Mercedes E320 - I like the new exterior styling... but it doesn't really give up much for a ~$50K car. And rather heavy too! 4200+lbs! E320's out.
2. BMW 330 + Sport package - Although this car seems really nice, the pricing:feature ratio was just really off from the G35c. The MRSP for the 330 was over ~$50K... vs my current $38K G35c... quite a difference.
3. Mercedes C(something) Kompressor - Even with the Kompressor supercharger the car was really weak. I floored it on the freeway and it barely reached 80. =(
4. Infiniti FX45 - Damn this thing rocked... but it was a bit big for my standards... and it wouldn't fit in the garage with the other car inside.. =(
5. BMW M3 - This car was nice, but was just too bare on the inside for a ~$60K+ car

So.. in the end: The g35C wins! =) And I love it!

Old 01-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Absolutely not...Every person with a decent paying job buys that car...Its like they feel they've graduated to some high class lifestyle...Seriously, one day just take a look around and see how many of those 330's you see in a single day, you'll be shocked...If I were you I'd go with the G35 or go with your preference which would be the pre-owned M3...But please, for the love of god, do NOT get the 330ci...haha Gluck

Old 01-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in the same dilema as you buddy (original thread starter)...

My three options were:

1. 330Ci
2. M3
3. G35 6MT

All 2005 models...yes even the M3....just because I am not digging the new V8 styling and 05 is the last year of the current body.

My Comparison/observations:
I hate the clutch on the 330, kills my knees but the car is beautiful looking. However, as mentioned above, the MSRP for the 330 just goes over board because alot of the STANDARD stuff on the G35 is optional on the 330Ci, for example the heated seats are $500 extra for the BMW, so even if you negotiate a price on a fully loaded 330Ci (navi, sport package, etc..), msrp is 46K+ before taxes. Keep in mind if you pay MSRP + TAX for a fully laoded G35, you will walk out paying 43K. But some will argue ones European and the other is Japanese. But from what I have heard about the 3-series including the M3, there are just too many recalls, electrical failures, mechanical failures (M3), which was mentioned by someone already (not wanting to own the BMW outside of warranty). That's why I'll take the japanese reliability. The M3 was just to pricey brand new which is one of the reasons why I didn't go with it...I mean I could've but I am only 22 and thought logically...(don't want to live my life paying for a car, trying to save up on the side for a house), which is why the G35 was a great choice. I have been in all of these cars, and to be honest, the M3 interior/feel is just over rated. I think the G35 feels cozy and stable like an airplane cockpit. Finally, the 330Ci is everywhere...I cant even keep count of how many I see when I go out. But the G on the other hand is always spotted because its rare...well atleast the 6MT. But you should do what you can handle financially while weighing in your gut feeling of which ride you would like to drive...and most importantly ENJOY driving.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Gee - I began to look at CPO M3's because of the full extended warranty, which would make me feel a bit better about having it long term. But the dealers by me were ridiculous on the asking prices. I walked out of 2 dealerships after pointing out to them that it's the middle of the winter and the last year of the E46 body style. They swore up and down that the cars would bring more than I offered at auction, but they're full of it. I may look privately since the engines are warrantied to 100K anyway, but I'll definitelty drive the G35c to see what I think (I've driven my buddies 2003 sedan).

Old 01-23-2005, 05:51 PM
mimmit:

The sedan is nothing like the coupe, if you can, test drive a '05 6MT and I don't know you (but I can sense you think like me, since your choice of cars are the same), but I am willing to bet that you will swing G35 once you test drive it. I don't know how you'd find an '05 6MT to test drive or '04 6MT for that matter (if your going to a dealer that is), but if you know someone with a 6MT of any year, test drive it, then keep in mind the interior of the '05 is a little better, and that there are 18 more ponies under the hood on the '05.

However, you did say you want an AT (which I don't get since you said your willing to get an M3) but if you do go that route, makes sure to get the sports tuned suspension if your into negotiating hard turn at times. Either way all of these cars are beautiful in thier own ways, but I dig the G35 interior over the 330Ci...plus the HP difference. 280HP on the AT G35 is still much better than the old 225 of previous years 330Ci's, and 255 of this years 330Ci

Goodluck, hope it all works out for you, and even though this is a G35 forum, I am telling you to get what makes YOU happy

Old 01-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Regarding the AT vs. MT, I look at the M3 as a no compromise sports car and would therefore go with the manual even with a long commute that requires a lot of shifting. If I were to get a G35 I could convince myself that the AT is the better option. One thing I learned with the Ci is that a manual car that's not a true sports car is much tougher to sell than it's auto counterpart.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by lacartus
Just to clarify, the 2003-2004 G35C 5AT had 280HP/270lb-ft, just like the 6MT; the sedan had 260HP. It wasn't until 2005 that the 6MT got more power than the 5AT coupe.

Exactly.

Sedan: ALWAYS had 260
03-04 Coupe: ALWAYS had 280
05 Coupe AT: STILL 280
05 COUPE MT: UP 298

Old 01-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
I want to try the 3-Series next. I thought the G35C would be a good introduction
near-luxury coupe for me to try out and see if I like this segment. so far so good!

I think Im going to try a M3 next time around.
Be careful....there is a difference between a "3-series" and a "M3"

Although not a 330...I owned a 2002 325I and traded it for the G35c. I don't miss it at all....and like the others said, you cannot beat what you get for the price.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by mimmitt
Regarding the AT vs. MT, I look at the M3 as a no compromise sports car and would therefore go with the manual even with a long commute that requires a lot of shifting. If I were to get a G35 I could convince myself that the AT is the better option. One thing I learned with the Ci is that a manual car that's not a true sports car is much tougher to sell than it's auto counterpart.

True and I get what you are saying, but even though the G35 isn't a True Sports car as the M3 (some may argue this, but thats beyond the point), it's still hard to find a used 6MT for sale. I see it this way, if a car costs more as a manual than its auto counterpart when brand new (as with the M3 AND G35 6MT), then it won't be hard to get its current value when you come to sell it. And by the way, the G35 and Nissan Z by far have one of the best resell value out there, do a search on the net and you will see (granted they have only been out for a few years, but it only takes a couple years to see what depreciation looks like). This is true since compare the numbers of G's as opposed to 3-series out there

Old 01-24-2005, 02:47 PM
the two cars of my choice were the G35C (BASE) or a TSX most likely with Navi...i just couldn't get a 4 banger so i got the G35...the TSX interior owns but theres something about this car that i had to have...but if it were between a M3 and G35 and money wasn't much of an issue i would definiately get the ///M3...even though the G35 probably gets you more attention (because it looks so unique)...i overall would say the M3 looks better interior and exterior wise

Old 01-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Well I am actually in the process of shopping around. 2005 G35 6MT loaded with Navi is option 1 and 2003 M3 CPO with Navi is option 2. Let me tell you, I'm having a hard time finding a 2003 M3 with the above option for under 44. Thats great resale value. The G loaded runs me 39k not counting tax on both so it doesn't matter. I love the G, I've driven it a lot and I like it even more. Then I hop into my friends 2001 M3 and it just confuses the hell out of me, cuz it's that much more fun to drive and it just absolutely performs better. Costs more and it's 2 years old, the G is brand new, I have some serious thinking to do.
And whoever said you get more attention in the g35 than in the M3 is plain wrong. I drive my friend's M3 at least once a month and everytime i'm on the street, guys AND girls smile, give me nods, thumbs up, gawk. Not to say it doesn't happen in the G those manyt imes i've driven it but not nearly as much.
I'll prob go with the G just because of the price and what I get for it, but then again if I find an 03 M3 CPO for 40 you better believe it I'll take it.