G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Mechanic gave me a heart attack this morning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:05 AM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
I have had the JWT clutch/flywheel combo for the last 35k miles. I personally love this combo. Sure, it chatters while idling and warm but it doesn't bother me.

My brother calls my car the "Apache Helicopter" lol, but I've gotten so used to the chatter I don't really hear it anymore.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for the replies. This helps alot

Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Mechanic gave me a heart attack this morning

So i described the symptoms im having with my car ((when shifting into second sometimes it makes a clanking sound sometimes worse than others not really a grinding sound, and kind of rough to shift into other gears, also the shifter gets real stiff and sticky when it gets cold outside)) to him and he tells me it sounds like a transmission and not the clutch. And recommends draining the tranny first .

What do you guys think? I just need some reassurance lol
Thanks guys

Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
It's normal, we have clanky/notchy gearboxes. Drain/replace the transmission fluid and clutch fluid it should be a bit smoother. Both are really easy to DIY.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
It's normal, we have clanky/notchy gearboxes. Drain/replace the transmission fluid and clutch fluid it should be a bit smoother. Both are really easy to DIY.
Oh really? Ive only had mine bout 6 months im still learning about it, i mean shifting into second just does not seem normal though sometimes it clanks real hard...im on my way to Infiniti to drain the tranny tho lets see if it helps

Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
New fluid might fix it, but you may have worn out synchronizers. That requires a teardown and replacement of the worn parts. I haven't priced them for the g, but for my viper the parts were only like $100. It's mostly the labor to remove the tranny and tear it down/reassemble that's expensive. For reference, the shop that did mine would have rebuilt it for $400 when I just brought them the transmission. Try the fluid first, but if it's a syncro, there's no fixing it without tearing the tranny apart.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Good luck with that. I just did my 06 6MT tranny fluid at 60k this summer and didn't notice any difference. I also wasn't having any problems prior to changing fluid, but take that for what it's worth. Old fluid looked perfectly fine. I also waited until 100k before changing the manual fluid on the wife's maxima and that was the same story.

Are you the original owner? Is it possible that you don't have OEM fluid in the tranny because there are threads here and on my350 with people experiencing shifting issues after trying a few aftermarket alternatives. In all of those cases, going back to OEM fluid resolved their issues.

Like poster above mentions, I'd guess you may have syncro issues.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by SiouxFallsG35
Good luck with that. I just did my 06 6MT tranny fluid at 60k this summer and didn't notice any difference. I also wasn't having any problems prior to changing fluid, but take that for what it's worth. Old fluid looked perfectly fine. I also waited until 100k before changing the manual fluid on the wife's maxima and that was the same story.

Are you the original owner? Is it possible that you don't have OEM fluid in the tranny because there are threads here and on my350 with people experiencing shifting issues after trying a few aftermarket alternatives. In all of those cases, going back to OEM fluid resolved their issues.

Like poster above mentions, I'd guess you may have syncro issues.
Nah man im the 3rd owner i have no clue whats in it. But im gonna have a mechanic at infiniti drive it and tell me what he thinks

Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Input please!

ok so ive decided to save the $35 and change my transmission oil myself but this is my first time doing this so id like to have some input on this please ( sorry im a noob and this is like my 3rd thread this week but bare with me )

Any suggestions on draining the oil to make it easier? and ive searched a lot on how many quarts to use and i have seen between 2-4 quarts so whats the right answer??

also ive seen its suggested to replace the gasket while you do this?

and one more question, I bought Royal Purple 75w-90 but took it back because i read some bad reviews on it so should i go with Redline mt-85 it seems like this is the best choice?

thanks in advance for the help guys

(( and the reason im doing this fyi is to try and reduce notchyness and grinding into second gear))

Old 11-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Go with OEM only from the Nissan/Infiniti dealership. Redline has it's problems as well. And it's 4 qts worth.

Procedure is just drain and fill. You will need a simple fluid pump/hose to pump the fluid into the fill hole. What gasket are you talking about? I think there are small o-rings or crush washers but I did not replace them at 60k, probably will at 120k.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Go with OEM only from the Nissan/Infiniti dealership. Redline has it's problems as well. And it's 4 qts worth.

Procedure is just drain and fill. You will need a simple fluid pump/hose to pump the fluid into the fill hole. What gasket are you talking about? I think there are small o-rings or crush washers but I did not replace them at 60k, probably will at 120k.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Coup...5_Coupe/ma.pdf
well i found this last night and on page 20 it is listed.......

Changing M/T Oil NLS0001S
1. Drain oil from drain plug and refill with new gear oil.
2. Check oil level from filler hole as shown in the figure.
Oil Capacity: Approx 2.9 (3-1/8 US qt, 2-1/2 lmp qt)
CAUTION:
Do not reuse gaskets.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
I've had no problems with Redline. With that said, I'm currently using Amsoil. No problems there either..

Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grisafeballer
im assuming its really not that loud though? like not bother some?
It's like a quiet cement truck. The noise is mostly caused by the lighter weight flywheel but my mechanic also warned me that if you pair a stage 1, 2 or 3 clutch with the stock flywheel that it'll create the chatter as well. Here is a clip with JWT lightweight flywheel and oem clutch:

Check this more extreme example too. I'm not sure what this maniac is using for his clutch/flywheel but I'm pretty sure that "grinding sound" they mention 5:38 is caused by the clutch:

Old 11-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by canehdian_guy
It's like a quiet cement truck. The noise is mostly caused by the lighter weight flywheel but my mechanic also warned me that if you pair a stage 1, 2 or 3 clutch with the stock flywheel that it'll create the chatter as well. Here is a clip with JWT lightweight flywheel and oem clutch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyFgTg57j0Y

Check this more extreme example too. I'm not sure what this maniac is using for his clutch/flywheel but I'm pretty sure that "grinding sound" they mention 5:38 is caused by the clutch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZSlyF5pCnE
thanks man

lmao at that second video. what a nut lol but then again if i owned a gt r id be like that too