G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Engine dying after getting my JWT clutch and flywheel installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine dying after getting my JWT clutch and flywheel installed

Gentleman-

Good afternoon and first off....thank you for taking the time for reading this post.

My car has been at a trusted shop recommended to me by a good friend for about [1 full month and a 14 days]. I took my car in because the clutch and flywheel needed to be replaced. They are fairly busy, so after about 2 weeks, they let me know that the flywheel and clutch as I knew, needed to be replaced. But, as most places I was not going to pay for a OEM clutch and flywheel pricing.

I spoke to Brett over at Import parts pro, great guy. I got the good pricing on the Jim Wolf setup, he also threw in the stainless steel clutch line, chromoly pivot ball and Nismo roller bearing. They were back ordered and it took me about 3 weeks to get the parts. I was eager and have been to get back to my g35 because driving my fiances nissan rogue is nothing like my ride.

Anyhow, the clutch installation went fine yesterday, but I just got a call today with bad news. They said my motors top end is burnt out.... I was like WOW! Before taking my car in, the car had no issue. No check engine lights or low oil, actually just 3 months ago my car was taken to Nissan for a oil change and inspection. So, how can this be if when I took my care there, all was fine. When they test drove my car at the auto shop, all was fine. Even when putting the car up in the rack, they had to drive it from the back to the inside working area- even then this problem did not occur.

Today I was supposed to pick up my car, and now this BS. He said that my car had 3/4 of a quart of oil in it, but how? I just got a oil change, probably only drove about 400-500miles max from the time I got the oil change to the point taken to the autoshop. Makes no sense, I rarely drive my car I work from home. He topped the oil and I just went to go look at my car. A few years ago, I had to get the cam sensor I believe replaced because the car was bogging out in neutral, it would drive but you would have to keep the rpms somewhat going to keep it from bogging out. He was explaining to me what was happening over the phone before gettting there, hoping that was the issue...but when I turned it on and rev'd it just a little, I could tell the difference between the two. It feels much different, when I tap the gas, theres a delay, rpms feel like its going up very slowly. Theoritaclly by having this new setup...it should rev up like a good boy right? Alot faster than before.

Again, all this makes no sense to me.

So, I called my buddy who is a long term proven mechanic and he himself spoke to Jim over to JWT to give me some ease of mind. He recommended and spoke to their technician to try these things-

1) Idle air volume Relean to help the throttle
2) Pull all engine codes
3) Throttle adapting

I am lost here, how could this happen if all was good before going in. It was supposed to be a simple clutch/flywheel fix. Now this??? Telling me it only had 3/4 of a quart of oil and its burnt. I take care of my car and electronics like my kiddos.....please help with any information you guys know.

Thank you reading once again. Take care

Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 PM
alrighty, guess this was a tuff one. tx

Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dmelo818
alrighty, guess this was a tuff one. tx
Be patient. This post hasn't been up for 24 hours even. I am sure a qualified person will chime in after reading about your concern.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Yes, I should be more patient, thank you. Its just hard thinking about this .....but I did some searching...i found my answer and many others have experienced this issue especially in the 350z...

[[[ "It's probably an issue with the flywheel alignment. There is a sensor that points at the outside edge of the flywheel. on the outside edge of the flywheel you will see small notches. These notches are used to report crank angle position to the ECU. The ECU uses this info to adjust the cam advance when you accelerate.

The notches on your flywheel are not aligned so the crank angle is not being picket up correctly. this is keeping your cams from advancing when accelerating.

If the mechanic run a diagnostic on your car it will probably ***** about the cam position. The root of the issue is really the flywheel alignment.

How to fix:
take a look at the pic
you see that tiny hole? that needs to be aligned with the dowel on the crank. right now that hole is not over the dowel.

Your probably wondering how the mechanic got the flywheel installed without matching the dowel to the hole. the after marked flywheels have small groves that will allow the flywheel to install flush against the crank withoute the dowel lining up with the small hole inthe flywheel." ]]]

Also today the mechanic said the diagnostic on ecu was the cam positions....

here are some links for others with same issues or are just interested in the matter incase they were to encounter the same issue

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-...revs-slow.html

http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...h-install.html

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...wt-clutch.html

Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So did they fix the issue yet?

I have to wonder why if they had a perfectly good running car and put a clutch in it and then it runs incorrectly they could possibly think its top end engine issue. I certainly stay clear of any shop that seems to be so incompetent.

The following users liked this post:
Andrewd_89 (02-11-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
It appears the shop is full of monkeys ****** footballs.

Research is correct, I personally witnessed the same issue occur at Forged Performance following a new clutch/flywheel installation on a customers G35.

Shariff didn't even think twice and told technician to put another flywheel in. Its not always the alignment pin sometimes its the way its machined from factory.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM
thanks guys

I am taking all the info from the web....and a head mechanic at Nisaan just incase they give me **** or need reference. he is very nice and told me to call if any issues

i am going to request them to reinstall it correctly, i dont think they will deny the fix with all the information confirming the same exact thing

Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Well, here is a update. After two months and them working on my car only 2x, they are releasing the car. here is a straight email i received by them.

QUOTE- ]Hey David,

I too have been trolling the internet and relaying info back to the tech. But I think we’re at the point where we have to send it out. I was talking to my father about it and it’s just time to get the car done.
If it’s not going to be completed here then we have to use other resources. It’s not doing any good sitting here… it’s been weighing on my mind way too long and you’ve been waiting for way too long.
Sorry for the delayed response. It’s been insane here and I’ve been staying late after work to look up info on your car but I didn’t want to contact you with no new info.
Your friend Tony called today as well. But we’ve gone as far as we can at this moment… this car has turned into way too big of a project and the work is just piling up behind it.
I saw that you sent an email about having GEICO pick it up. What’s your preference? Should we get it to the dealer or is there another place you prefer?
Sorry we couldn’t get this done for you. Your car didn’t make us look too great but hopefully the end result will be good..........

So I am left without a car working. The second time around they tried to fix it, the car would not turn on. Actually, the car still does not turn on. When i took it to them, the car drove fine. They test drove it and even when the pulled it up to the lift to work on, worked fine.

I had my oil changed two months before I took it to them. I told Nissan to use regular oil, I found out that they used synthetic. I have one like many people with my car that the motor sucks up a bit of oil. I was left when they inspected my car with 1 and 1/2 quarts. They are trying to say that is the reason why its not working. I know i never got a low oil sign on my car and it was only two months. I know that this would not cause the motor to blow, they tried to say it was the issue thats why the camshaft ecu came up the first time. But we all know here that it was sending the exact ecu error message due to miss install of the flywheel.

I should not have to pay a dime for this. Also, its been two months of hell without a car.

I am going to get AAA to tow it back to my house. Funny, now i have to tow it because i can't even drive it. I don't even know if the mechanic messed anything up inside the tranny when working on it.

I need some advice fellas. Anything would help. And if you know if any reputable shops that know how to do this basic install, please shoot me a message. I am of need of one. I just moved to PA Pittsburgh so i KNow no one here.

Last edited by dmelo818; 02-15-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
I'm not sure- but did they even really give you any information on what they "TRIED" to do? In that email to you I see a lot of "it's not doing any good sitting here... we have to use other resources, weighing on my mind... it's been insane here...didn't want to contact you with no new info... gone as far as we can... turned into way too big of a project.. work piling up..."

Sounds like a rectal prolapse to me.

What has been suggested above sounds similar to something I went through with my AT after my build was complete. The guys went to start the car and it just clicked... what a horrible feeling. They talked to their network (they weren't AS familiar with AT as they are MT) and came to realize the TC needed to be lined up a particular way- probably for the same reason your fly wheel does. Once it was lined up (took them MAYBE 20 minutes at that point with everything exposed) we were good to go.

It would be the absolute FIRST thing I (had) checked if I were in your position...

I wish I could point you to a good shop but even in my cursory search on google for recommendations nothing is jumping out...

Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
I'm not sure- but did they even really give you any information on what they "TRIED" to do? In that email to you I see a lot of "it's not doing any good sitting here... we have to use other resources, weighing on my mind... it's been insane here...didn't want to contact you with no new info... gone as far as we can... turned into way too big of a project.. work piling up..."

Sounds like a rectal prolapse to me.

What has been suggested above sounds similar to something I went through with my AT after my build was complete. The guys went to start the car and it just clicked... what a horrible feeling. They talked to their network (they weren't AS familiar with AT as they are MT) and came to realize the TC needed to be lined up a particular way- probably for the same reason your fly wheel does. Once it was lined up (took them MAYBE 20 minutes at that point with everything exposed) we were good to go.

It would be the absolute FIRST thing I (had) checked if I were in your position...

I wish I could point you to a good shop but even in my cursory search on google for recommendations nothing is jumping out...
thank you for your shared information. I figured hey just did not align it correctly again, but they are not wanting to do anything about it. I was reading a post a few weeks ago about the same exact issue here. I am glad they opted to take it apart and just realign in correctly to get your car starting again.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I am in the process trying to figure out if the correct flywheel was sent out to me. I believe the flywheel for my care is supposed to have ridges, not teeth like mine

good thing i took a pic of it before getting installed

Attached Thumbnails Engine dying after getting my JWT clutch and flywheel installed-untitled-1.jpg   Engine dying after getting my JWT clutch and flywheel installed-img_20130117_234719.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Sorry- what year is your car again? Should be easy enough to verify. I'm curious now too-

On a cursory investigation:

LINK TO JWT FLYWHEEL

Name:  IMG_0845.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0848.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  55.1 KB

If you're looking for a decent shop in your area- go look in THIS thread... It's a bit dated but the members in there are likely still active. A quick PM and you might have the contacts you need to get this thing fixed by someone with a decent rep.

Last edited by Eno; 02-15-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Sorry- what year is your car again? Should be easy enough to verify. I'm curious now too-

On a cursory investigation:

LINK TO JWT FLYWHEEL

If you're looking for a decent shop in your area- go look in THIS thread... It's a bit dated but the members in there are likely still active. A quick PM and you might have the contacts you need to get this thing fixed by someone with a decent rep.
Hey bud thanks for the info. I have a 2004 6mt coupe. By the way, your flywheel looks a lot different than mine what year etc do u have?

Ty

Old 02-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
where do you live?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by thisiswang
where do you live?
I live in Sewickley PA....I just moved here to Pittsburgh a year ago from southern Cali

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine dying after getting my JWT clutch and flywheel installed