G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Kinetix Plenum Gasket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kinetix Plenum Gasket?

Is there a specific upper plenum gasket I need for the Kinetix Plenum? The previous owner put this plenum on, and my gasket is leaking, so I'm trying to replace it.

Before I change the gasket, should I just try some RTV ?

Last edited by hockeyadc; 02-13-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyadc
Is there a specific upper plenum gasket I need for the Kinetix Plenum? The previous owner put this plenum on, and my gasket is leaking, so I'm trying to replace it.

Before I change the gasket, should I just try some RTV ?
I know this is an old thread but I've been searching bc of the same issue, I've had my Kinetix V+ installed on my 03 G35 for over a year and I recently started having rough/low Idle issues. I just figured out the problem is the seal on the Kinetix plenum to the lower plenum. I loosened all the bolts and retorqured them to spec like I did the first time when I installed the plenum and the idle got better but it still has a slight leak. I don't want to pull it back off again until I figure out what I need as far as replacing the gasket. If I remember right I think I used an oem plenum gasket along with the cork looking gasket made on the plenum. Did you end up using the silicone? And did you still use the oem gasket along with it? Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-27-2017, 06:54 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The OP hasn't logged in for a year and a half so I doubt he'll answer you. I don't recommend silicone or RTV on the plenum gasket, check the Kinetix cork to make sure it's still intact and you might have to replace the OEM gasket. Also check Google to see if others with the Kinetix have had this issue, it seems you searched here so thanks for that.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 AM
I can tell by looking at the edges of the gasket where the leaks were that the cork gasket is the problem, or it appears to be the problem anyways. It's starting to tear and krinkle up in a few spots where it was over hanging the bottom plenum a little. Ive searched all over for someone with a similar issue with no luck, Im sure it's out there buried in thread probably. I'm emailing Kinetix today to see is they have replacements or what they recommend to use if not. When I get an answer I'll post a reply for the next person anyways. Thanks for the response

Old 03-27-2017, 04:20 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
No worries, let us know what you find out.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:18 PM
UPDATE. I emailed Kinetix about getting a replacement gasket for the Plenum and this was their response:

Hello Nick,

We do not sell the gasket as a separate pre-cut piece, but we can re-gasket your plenum for you. We charge $25 plus shipping for the service. Unfortunately, nothing else but the cork style gasket is going to allow the plenum to seal properly. If your gasket went bad that quickly, that would indicate you have a bad PCV allowing oil to pass into the plenum chamber which will soften the cork/rubber gasket and eventually eat it away. The PCV is a known issue with these cars. It was a bad design and plugs up within 5-7K miles. When it plugs up, it sends oil vapor into the intake and starts fouling spark plugs which lowers your MPG and also causes a lot of carbon buildup in your heads. Many people get so frustrated with replacing them so often that they eliminate the PCV system all together with a catch can. If you take the plenum off and notice an oily film inside the plenum chamber, that is your problem.

Jason

I ended up just completely removing the cork gasket from the Kinetix plenum and used RTV silicone gasket in its place. It's been like 2 weeks now and so far it's worked great(SO nice to have nice smooth, steady idle again). The fact that I just went ahead and went with the RTV gasket isn't reflection on Kinetix at all( even tho they did say the cork gasket was the only way to seal the plenum properly which doesnt appear to be the case now) they emailed me back the same day and we're very helpful and seemed very knowledgeable so I was happy with their customer service. I replaced the PCV valve because there were a few spots on the cork gasket that looked oil soaked so I think he was right about that. If this is the only issue I have with this plenum, I'd gladly recommend or do business with Kinetix again in the future.

The following users liked this post:
ErikNYC (06-06-2017)