G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Would you consider the V35 Coupe a good beginner car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm

There's an 04' Coupe with a MT on the market now for $15,490. Has 66.7K miles.

Carfax looks okay, just two previous owner. Second owner only had it for 23 days.

Must be a new listing because there's only stock photos. No idea if it has that obnoxious 1st gen spoiler. But it is Diamond Graphite Metallic.

I'm just excited because of the good miles and MT.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
I don't know how pricing is in your area, but i got my 06 5AT coupe with all the premium stuff (Wheels, Navigation, etc.) 75k miles for $15999 all dealer fees and stuff included. No accidents 2 owner as well.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Easy guys. You youngin' need to relax. I originally wanted and ordered a wingless brilliant silver G coupe until I saw a black obsidian coupe with spoiler parked next to it. The black pulls the wide shoulders in a bit and I actually prefer the whale tail which integrates the third brake light nicely instead of inside the rear window. I think it's also better than the newer '06 decklid halfway spoiler. My S13 coupe is wingless, but I wouldn't mind a wangan wing on it as well LOL. Each to his own I guess.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of people would disagree (not sure why) but if you can find a good one, I'd suggest an 03-05 with a spoiler. I wasn't really a fan of it before I got my car, but now that I have it.. it's beautiful. It makes the car look way sportier, without being ricer-esque or too much. The 06-07 spoilers on the other hand, I don't like.

The following users liked this post:
VQdriver (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
16k for a 04 6mt with 66k miles seems alot, best way to find a good price is to monitor the market every single day, alot of good deals are gone in a couple of days.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DeBlaca
A lot of people would disagree (not sure why) but if you can find a good one, I'd suggest an 03-05 with a spoiler. I wasn't really a fan of it before I got my car, but now that I have it.. it's beautiful. It makes the car look way sportier, without being ricer-esque or too much. The 06-07 spoilers on the other hand, I don't like.
That's not necessarily the best reason for going '03-'05... I, for one, HATE the '03-'05 interior. It looks really cheap and the clock is hideous, but that's just me. OP do some research on the differences if you haven't already; that way you won't have any regrets down the road.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 350GT_
That's not necessarily the best reason for going '03-'05... I, for one, HATE the '03-'05 interior. It looks really cheap and the clock is hideous, but that's just me. OP do some research on the differences if you haven't already; that way you won't have any regrets down the road.
Yeah you're completely right. I got a great deal on my '03, it was almost brand new, so I jumped on it. The interior is a little lackluster, but hey, I can live with it.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I say Not a good first car.

Not because of the expense you should be able to figure out the cost to drive this car and decide if you want those expenses.

I say no because it is a powerful car and one needs to be mature enough to treat it with respect until you really learn to drive the car in all weather conditions.

Responsibility and respect is what you need before you get behind the wheel of a G.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 350GT_
05 have nice interior, but dont have the projector headlights.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
No, the G35 is not a good beginner's car. If I could do it over again, I would have bought a Civic or some 4 cylinder first, learn how engines work and how to do all the DIY stuff myself. So much easier to learn on a vertical engine with a ton of room to work(and 1 Cylinder head vs 2) with rather than the G35's V6 which is pretty stuffed in there and requires a ton of work to swap out some parts(i.e Cams, timing cover, head removal). Also, the parts are much cheaper.

The G35 was my first car, I made some mistakes and learned the hard way and really, really busted my knuckles fixing them deep in the engine. Overall it would have been a lot cheaper to learn on a civic or something first. It would also make you appreciate the G35 that much more when you get it.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
No, the G35 is not a good beginner's car. If I could do it over again, I would have bought a Civic or some 4 cylinder first, learn how engines work and how to do all the DIY stuff myself. So much easier to learn on a vertical engine with a ton of room to work(and 1 Cylinder head vs 2)
Personally, I always hated working on front wheel drive engines because there was usually something important mounted at the back of the engine that was blocked from access by the firewall. Whether it's the rear bank of spark-plugs on a FWD V6, or the starter, or alternator on any other FWD motor.... plus it seems like the motor is always up pretty close against the sides of the car on at least one side, making it hard to get at belts and stuff. I think the easiest to work on is a RWD or 4WD inline-4 cylinder motor like in my 2.7L 4WD Toyota Tacoma or in my old Nissan 240SX S13 because there is usually plenty of room on both sides of the motor to get at stuff and the belts are right in front. There usually isn't anything hidden and inaccessible on those types of motors. The worst is pretty much any Transverse-mounted V-engine.... I frickin hate those!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
Personally, I always hated working on front wheel drive engines because there was usually something important mounted at the back of the engine that was blocked from access by the firewall. Whether it's the rear bank of spark-plugs on a FWD V6, or the starter, or alternator on any other FWD motor.... plus it seems like the motor is always up pretty close against the sides of the car on at least one side, making it hard to get at belts and stuff. I think the easiest to work on is a RWD or 4WD inline-4 cylinder motor like in my 2.7L 4WD Toyota Tacoma or in my old Nissan 240SX S13 because there is usually plenty of room on both sides of the motor to get at stuff and the belts are right in front. There usually isn't anything hidden and inaccessible on those types of motors. The worst is pretty much any Transverse-mounted V-engine.... I frickin hate those!
That's pretty true actually, I was picturing an I-4 standing straight up, RWD would definitely make more room. 240 would be a pretty good starter car IMO. The G just has no room to work, especially when you're learning for the first time. But hey, at least it's not a sideways Subaru engine

Old 03-21-2013, 02:58 AM
RCL
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Theyre good cars. Dont be stupid, dont be cheap, and maintain it and itll take care of you. But stupid actions with a any car + inexperience will result in lots of fail.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
We shouldn't assume that the OP is planning on doing his own work under the hood. I just did the RJM clutch pedal bracket today and I wish I would've just gone to a shop to save myself the trouble/stress of being in that cramped area. I think it's fine for a beginner car. We don't all have to start off with beaters. Just do your research on here and be sure you know what you're getting yourself into so that you won't be surprised by anything, or if you come across a problem later on you'll already be somewhat familiar with it or at least know what to look up.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Not to go off topic, but do you guys have any other ideas for a first car besides the G35?

Really, I just want something decent that not everyone and their neighbor has, such as a Civic, Corolla, or whatever.

I mean, if I could find a nice, 5 year old Volkswagen Golf TDI, I'd probably pull the trigger on it. I just can't find one in my budget ($15K).

used car shopping is so disappointing. ><

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you consider the V35 Coupe a good beginner car?