G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

04' G35 Coupe Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2013 | 10:20 AM
|
04' G35 Coupe Maintenance Questions

Thank you in advance for helping me answer a few questions. My G35 coupe is going to hit 60k miles very soon and I need a few tips of what needs to be done to keep my baby going. I've had the car for 3.5 years and put about 25k miles on it in that time. I have changed absolutely nothing besides one window motor and my door locks, which I did on my own. I will be driving the car much more in the next year for my medical residency so I want to make sure I have everything done. I am pretty handy with tools and have added MD Testpipes, a MD plenum spacer, and a Stillen CAI on my own so I rather not take it to the stealership if I don't have to.

1. I know that I have to change the rotors/brakes as I feel them not stopping as quick with a low initial bite. I need rotors/brakes for everyday driving so I was thinking about going with the Centric Premiums with the Stoptech pads from KNSbrakes.com. I don't mind spending extra $ for the DBA rotors but I am afraid the slotted rotors will cause increased pad wear. Or should I just go with all OEM hardware?

2. I know the 60k mile service is a big one and I've seen many threads on how to do the service yourself. Should I let Nissan service my car just to make sure I don't miss any points in the service? My car runs amazing but I want to keep it that way. I am confident I can flush/change fluids and inspect/change belts but if its going to be very time consuming and extra $ to get the proper tools I don't mind spending the $500 to let Nissan complete it.

I know these are a bunch of questions. I really appreciate your input in keeping my G going and getting me to the hospital every day.

Old 04-24-2013 | 12:26 PM
for your first question on brakes; Slotted/Drilled is not worth it imo if it is not for a bbk. nothing you can probably feel if youre doing daily driving. I would choose the centrics rotors like youve mentioned since they are pretty thick quality rotors for the price and have a rust proof black paint near the hub area. If you can get OEM at a good price you can stick with that too. I am one of those drivers that hates creaks/rattle sounds and in my past experience noticed slotted/drilled rotors creates a little whistling sound you can hear with your windows down. that annoyance alone changed my mind about the rotors.

things I would change at 60k.

1. oil/transmission/brake/power stering/coolant - fluids
2. air filter/clean k&n filter/oil filter.
3. brakes & related hardware (shims/sliding pins etc.)
4. check suspension bushings/engine mounts for cracks.
5. Throttle body cleaning (read up on it before attempting before you damage it)
6. for fun - check battery, air pressure, windshield liquids, wipers, window position.

please chime in if i might have missed something.

Old 04-24-2013 | 02:54 PM
Should check to see how dirty the cabin filter is as well. And if you want a noticeable difference on the brakes than forget about the rotors and look into pads.

Old 04-28-2013 | 11:09 AM
|
It seems like I can do most if not all of this at home. My belts were changed by the previous owner and still look good. I will start by changing all the fluids, brakes/rotors/shims/sliding pins, clean my cone filter, change the air cabin filter, and clean the throttle body. Any recommendations of where to get the fluids from at a good price as I want to stick to OEM? Thanks for the info guys!

Old 04-28-2013 | 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Should check to see how dirty the cabin filter is as well. And if you want a noticeable difference on the brakes than forget about the rotors and look into pads.
That filter is such a pain in the *** to get to, I would just replace it and then you don't have to think about it again for a long time.

Old 04-28-2013 | 01:18 PM
I went to my local nissan dealer for my nissan fluids. Search on google which one has a parts department and you should be ok. If you want to use a online method, Sewell Infiniti has always been a good online shop I stuck with. I am a clublexus.com member as well and have a members discount so the savings basically covers the shipping cost. Their shipping rates are a bit high but if you order alot at once its actually a good deal.