G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Correct way to drive Tip Tronic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JKL1031
????? Bro just drive.
???? Unnecessary, obviously if I wanted to just drive, I would drive. I'm trying to get the best knowledge out of this feature before going out and 'learning' it on my own, to prevent mistakes on my own half. Comments like this are a waste of time, after all this is a forum is it not? I'd figure the knowledge of people that browse here would be far better off learning on my own. Stop trying to boost your post points.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by livinglegend
Or get a 6mt if you want to control and shift the transmission yourself? Just put it in D and drive it. If "D" is bad for your engine then your tune needs to be fixed.
If it was as easy as just trading in my AT for a 6MT then I wouldn't be here. But no my AT is fully loaded and just the way that I want it, so I wouldn't just trade it over. I just wanted some information about the tip tronic, i'm not looking to be a manual wannabe speed racer. But at this point from what information you guys have gave and from just 'driving' it's pretty self explanatory and I've figured it out for the most part.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by jutn35
the farthest i shift is at 3500 RPM
Thank you, I usually don't shift past 3500 unless I'm really trying to pick up. Shifting point for me is around 2500-3000

Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 PM
This guy wanted to know how to use it too - so I provided some usage examples. What's the issue here? I thought he was smart to ask personally.
Thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated. <3

Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Nutrisse
If it was as easy as just trading in my AT for a 6MT then I wouldn't be here. But no my AT is fully loaded and just the way that I want it, so I wouldn't just trade it over. I just wanted some information about the tip tronic, i'm not looking to be a manual wannabe speed racer. But at this point from what information you guys have gave and from just 'driving' it's pretty self explanatory and I've figured it out for the most part.
Then why use the tiptronic? To me, using it on the streets seems kind of.... unnecessary. Put it in drive and If you want to accelerate faster, press the accelerator more. If you want better mileage, press the accelerator less... pretty straight forward.

Answer this question honestly please, what are you trying to gain by using tiptronic to upshift instead of letting the car chose gears? Or is it all for show?

The car knows the specific fuel consumption map, and it knows the tractive-effort/speed map for the car, so it will beat you on acceleration and mileage.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Nutrisse
isnt that why tiptronic was invented in the first place?

btw i dont understand the shifiting at 2.5k rpm. doesnt the trans already do this for u?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
If you're just driving around normally why bother trying to mess with using tiptronic to shift? If you're only shifting at like ~2kish rpms, why worry about flipping the lever yourself when that's what your car would do normally? I mean if you're trying to drive spirited I could see the reasoning, but for that is more of not redlining and trial and error to see at what point puts you in the power band where you're looking for.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Personally I only use it when I want to do some spirited driving. Redline shifts, downshifting, etc. Under normally driving it's kind of pointless.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Correct way to drive the tip tronic is to hand it over to your wifey or girl friend. You are a man so drive a stick like every other man or just leave it in D that is why you bought auto in the first place. You want your car to do your shifting for you otherwise pick a manual if you want to MANUALLY shift. If your legs are weak than hit the gym.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by faiz23
Correct way to drive the tip tronic is to hand it over to your wifey or girl friend. You are a man so drive a stick like every other man or just leave it in D that is why you bought auto in the first place. You want your car to do your shifting for you otherwise pick a manual if you want to MANUALLY shift. If your legs are weak than hit the gym.
Lol damn fool, jump off your high horse. Just because you drive a 6mt doesn't make you any more of a man or any better of a technical driver than someone who drives auto >.>

The following users liked this post:
the93owner (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I need to check but I'm pretty sure I researched this topic when I first got mine and the dealership or factory manual stated you leave it in 4th gear all the time! If you throw it into manumatic what gear always pops up on your dash?.... 4th gear.... the other gears are for hills slopes etc. The manumatic should allow your RPMs to run higher before the car shifts itself. Manumatic is not designed to be shifted up and down like a manual if memory serves me correctly. I'll find the reference and post it.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
I normally leave my car in Drive, unless doing spirited driving or for a quick burst of acceleration on the freeway.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
imo tip should only be used to upshift when u wanna go fast and involve urself more than just stepping on the gas. when ur done getting ur thrill on change it back to normal drive and cruise it. no need to be downshifting and stuff

Old 06-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by SergeantRed
I need to check but I'm pretty sure I researched this topic when I first got mine and the dealership or factory manual stated you leave it in 4th gear all the time! If you throw it into manumatic what gear always pops up on your dash?.... 4th gear.... the other gears are for hills slopes etc. The manumatic should allow your RPMs to run higher before the car shifts itself. Manumatic is not designed to be shifted up and down like a manual if memory serves me correctly. I'll find the reference and post it.
Its the same process compared to the tranny shifting on its own, tiptronic is simply telling it when to shift. Simply using this feature is not going to cause catastrophic failure. A little extra wear and tear, possibly.

Why is everyone making it sound like downshifting in tiptronic is pointless? I hope everyone here understands what a power curve is. And when traction is an issue in certain gears, seems very stupid to let the tranny try and shift itself, especially when you don't want it to.

For normal driving, "D" mode is fine. Tiptronic definitely has its advantages though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Correct way to drive Tip Tronic?