G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

07 Coupe Overheating. Cooling Fan Temps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
07 Coupe Overheating. Cooling Fan Temps

Hey guys,
My G has started to overheat when in stop and go traffic when the AC is on. The temps drop when I turn off the AC or when I start going above 25 mph. I sat in it this morning with a OBD-2 scanner, and drove around 50 miles.

When I got back home, I turned the AC to full and sat in the driveway and recorded a few temps as I sat there and idled.

The cooling fan on the drivers side ran at a constant high speed, but the cooling fan on the passenger side didn't turn on at all.

I saw the fan on the passenger side spin a couple times on Saturday, but the fan spun at a low speed, and was rather inconsistent. It would turn on for a couple of seconds, spin at an inconsistent (and, at it's fastest, was nowhere near the speed of the fan on the drivers side) rate, and then stop spinning only to start spinning again for another couple of seconds.

Today, I let the car Idle with the AC on full after the drive and let the temps rise up to 230 degrees F (according to the OBD 2 scanner). The fan on the drivers side ran full blast the entire time, but the fan on the passenger side didn't budge.

Call me a wimp, but I didn't want to let the temps go any higher, so i turned the AC off. The temps then immediately started to drop back down as I sat there and idled. The temps leveled off at about 203 degrees F.

I don't know what could be the problem. I'm going to call Infiniti and see if the cooling fan had already been replaced in my car under that extended warranty for the coupes that a couple of you guys have talked about. I bought my car used so I don't know If it has already been done or not.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Data

I should probably add this temp info:

In order to check if the fans were operating, I opened the hood for about 5 seconds each time and would then shut it so as to not affect the temperature data. All of this data is from me sitting at idle.

Temp ----- AC-----Driver Side Fan Passenger Side Fan
195 F-----OFF---------OFF-----------------------OFF
200 F-----OFF--------HIGH-----------------------OFF
200 F----FULL--------HIGH----------------------OFF
208 F----FULL--------HIGH----------------------OFF
210 F----FULL--------HIGH----------------------OFF
213 F----FULL--------HIGH----------------------OFF
215 F----FULL--------HIGH----------------------OFF
222 F----FULL--------HIGH----------------------OFF
228 F----FULL--------HIGH----------------------OFF
230 F----FULL--------HIGH----------------------OFF
--------------------I SHUT OFF AC------------------------
230 F-----OFF--------HIGH-----------------------OFF
225 F-----OFF--------HIGH-----------------------OFF
220 F-----OFF--------HIGH-----------------------OFF
210 F-----OFF--------HIGH-----------------------OFF
205 F-----OFF--------HIGH-----------------------OFF

Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had the same problem in my 06, I travel alot and getting caught in stop-n-go traffic would constantly cause my car to overheat. The fans are known to do that according to infiniti and the issued out a warrenty for that particular reason. They told me I would be looking at about $900 bucks to fix but the warrenty covered it as long as your under 100,000 miles i believe.

The following users liked this post:
07G35auto (05-26-2014)
Old 06-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Good to hear about that warranty. I am just under 70k on mine, so I should be covered. I have classes this week, so I can't get it in to Infiniti until Friday morning. First time dealing with a dealership to fix (or diagnose) a car, hopefully I won't get totally scr*** over for the diagnosis or parts or labor or something like that.

I almost never run the AC (because, I think the exhaust sounds like sweet, sweet music) so I don't know how long I have had this problem. Hopefully the weather will stay nice enough for me to make it until then.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by BlackBeachG35
Good to hear about that warranty. I am just under 70k on mine, so I should be covered. I have classes this week, so I can't get it in to Infiniti until Friday morning. First time dealing with a dealership to fix (or diagnose) a car, hopefully I won't get totally scr*** over for the diagnosis or parts or labor or something like that.

I almost never run the AC (because, I think the exhaust sounds like sweet, sweet music) so I don't know how long I have had this problem. Hopefully the weather will stay nice enough for me to make it until then.
I didnt have to pay a dime, took them a couple hours to fix and it ran perfect after that. Trust me I know the appreciation we have for our sweet sounding exhaust but I recommend you get those taken care of asap because they told me that those fans not running would start affecting the way other things ran. Not sure what they were refrencing but I just went ahead and got it fix. Doesnt hurt to call and ask.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got an '05 with 80k miles. I got stuck in traffic this past Sat. and noticed the temp. rising. Fortunately I didn't stay totally stopped for long, and the temp. came down when I started moving. Checked the fans and found driver's side dead. Came to forum this morning and found the thred from 2009 regarding the extended warranty. Called the 800 number from the posted letter, and they told me my 96 months of warranty expired 5/14. I asked if an exception could be made and the customer service rep. filed a "request for service outside warranty", or something like that. They're suppose to get back to me in 48 hours.
Funny thing is, I had the car at the dealership early this morning and they discovered it was dead (I was shocked) and offered to fix for big bucks. Didn't mention the warranty.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by vastinecrouch
I've got an '05 with 80k miles. I got stuck in traffic this past Sat. and noticed the temp. rising. Fortunately I didn't stay totally stopped for long, and the temp. came down when I started moving. Checked the fans and found driver's side dead. Came to forum this morning and found the thred from 2009 regarding the extended warranty. Called the 800 number from the posted letter, and they told me my 96 months of warranty expired 5/14. I asked if an exception could be made and the customer service rep. filed a "request for service outside warranty", or something like that. They're suppose to get back to me in 48 hours.
Funny thing is, I had the car at the dealership early this morning and they discovered it was dead (I was shocked) and offered to fix for big bucks. Didn't mention the warranty.
I hope you can get the fan fixed under the warranty. Let us know what happens.

Was the fan on the passenger side running at all?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackBeachG35
Hey guys,
My G has started to overheat when in stop and go traffic when the AC is on. The temps drop when I turn off the AC or when I start going above 25 mph. I sat in it this morning with a OBD-2 scanner, and drove around 50 miles.

When I got back home, I turned the AC to full and sat in the driveway and recorded a few temps as I sat there and idled.

The cooling fan on the drivers side ran at a constant high speed, but the cooling fan on the passenger side didn't turn on at all.

I saw the fan on the passenger side spin a couple times on Saturday, but the fan spun at a low speed, and was rather inconsistent. It would turn on for a couple of seconds, spin at an inconsistent (and, at it's fastest, was nowhere near the speed of the fan on the drivers side) rate, and then stop spinning only to start spinning again for another couple of seconds.

Today, I let the car Idle with the AC on full after the drive and let the temps rise up to 230 degrees F (according to the OBD 2 scanner). The fan on the drivers side ran full blast the entire time, but the fan on the passenger side didn't budge.

Call me a wimp, but I didn't want to let the temps go any higher, so i turned the AC off. The temps then immediately started to drop back down as I sat there and idled. The temps leveled off at about 203 degrees F.

I don't know what could be the problem. I'm going to call Infiniti and see if the cooling fan had already been replaced in my car under that extended warranty for the coupes that a couple of you guys have talked about. I bought my car used so I don't know If it has already been done or not.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Hey man i'm in VA Beach also and just got an 07 coupe back in Feb this year. I have 55k on mine and haven't had any problems yet with the fan. Let me know what Charles Barker Infiniti tells you when you take your car in. I'm sure I will have the same problem down the road with mine.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Stubie1918
Hey man i'm in VA Beach also and just got an 07 coupe back in Feb this year. I have 55k on mine and haven't had any problems yet with the fan. Let me know what Charles Barker Infiniti tells you when you take your car in. I'm sure I will have the same problem down the road with mine.
will do.

Stubie1918 (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 10:29 PM
I replaced the fans in mine. I haven't had a problem since. Z1motorsports.

07G35auto (05-26-2014)
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
looks like either one of your fans is bad or a relay isn't working correctly. with the A/C off, your fans should kick on at low speed when the coolant temp reaches 208F. they kick up to high speed at 212F. with the A/C on, both of your fans should be running.

BlackBeachG35 (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 02:19 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
if anyone DIY, post thread/pics

Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was the fan on the passenger side running at all?
Passenger side seemed fine. Turning pretty high rpms.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by vastinecrouch
Passenger side seemed fine. Turning pretty high rpms.
That sounds like a mirror of what I am having to deal with...

I'm going to check the relays later to see if that is the problem.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Its the fans i experienced all the issues you are having. Once the fans were replaced all was well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 Coupe Overheating. Cooling Fan Temps