G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Low Idle/loss of Powersteering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Idle/loss of Powersteering

I'll try to keep this short.

Bought an 04 G35 coupe recently, 118, 000 km on the odo.

First I noticed earlier this morning that the car was idling quite low (250 RPM). She starts up fine sits at 1000 on cold start but after 5-10 minutes of driving idles at 250. The low idle doesn't have any sputter or engine shake as far as I can tell.

Next I was driving her today when all of a sudden I lost power steering. Pulled her over, turned her off. then turned her back on, she fought to turn on again but eventually got there after 2-3 seconds. when she was on I noticed that the slip light, check engine soon light, and VDC light were all on. drove home with no issue parked in my drive left her for 10 minutes then started her again and only the check engine light remained. about half an hour later the check engine light was gone and the car was starting fine, despite still have a low idle (200-250 RPM).

The Mechanic ran diagnostics on her and said both the knock sensor and cam sensor signals popped up.

has anyone run into somthing like this, or any advice.

I'm supposed to have a decently long haul trip tomorrow. Will she be able to hold out?

Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 AM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
if u dont mind the high possiblity of being stranded in the middle of nowhere then i recommend continue driving then rather than fixing it first

Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by saywat?
if u dont mind the high possiblity of being stranded in the middle of nowhere then i recommend continue driving then rather than fixing it first
Yea, and she won't start now. Turns over fantastically but just will not start. Any help?

Edit: she didn't start yesterday after driving all day. But she started this morning. I still fighting with low rpm, and ses, vcd, and and slip

Last edited by DeltBrah; 06-30-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DeltBrah
Yea, and she won't start now. Turns over fantastically but just will not start. Any help?

Edit: she didn't start yesterday after driving all day. But she started this morning. I still fighting with low rpm, and ses, vcd, and and slip
Sounds like the Crankshaft position sensor is having an intermittent failure - try changing it out with a new unit.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by bythabay
Sounds like the Crankshaft position sensor is having an intermittent failure - try changing it out with a new unit.
I've got it going into the shop on Tuesday but I think they only ordered the knock sensor. Is it difficult to switch out the crank position sensor for someone with little to no car mechanic experience I. E. Myself?

Old 06-30-2013, 02:43 PM

I'll try to keep this short.

Bought an 04 G35 coupe recently, 118, 000 km on the odo.

First I noticed earlier this morning that the car was idling quite low (250 RPM). She starts up fine sits at 1000 on cold start but after 5-10 minutes of driving idles at 250. The low idle doesn't have any sputter or engine shake as far as I can tell.

Next I was driving her today when all of a sudden I lost power steering. Pulled her over, turned her off. then turned her back on, she fought to turn on again but eventually got there after 2-3 seconds. when she was on I noticed that the slip light, check engine soon light, and VDC light were all on. drove home with no issue parked in my drive left her for 10 minutes then started her again and only the check engine light remained. about half an hour later the check engine light was gone and the car was starting fine, despite still have a low idle (200-250 RPM).

The Mechanic ran diagnostics on her and said both the knock sensor and cam sensor signals popped up.

has anyone run into somthing like this, or any advice.

I'm supposed to have a decently long haul trip tomorrow. Will she be able to hold out?

Old 06-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Is cleaning the crank position sensor advisable? If so what should I use.
Obviously just a temp fix so I can drive it to the shop on Tuesday and not tow it.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 PM
wat makes u think its cleanable?

Old 06-30-2013, 03:16 PM
wat makes u think its cleanable?
Sometimes she turns on sometimes she doesn't. Which makes me think that yea the sensor is close to fried but obviously still has some life and cleaning any residue, rust or other contaminants could help prolong it just so long enough for me to get it fixed.

But as I've said I know basically nothing about this car mechanically and that's why I'm asking so many Damn questions.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:22 PM
the answer is no

Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your Mass airflow sensor. This drove me crazy for a couple months checking all the sensors, but I had no CEL. I had very low idle/close to stalling, and poor excelleration. Never had the problem of it not starting though. Once I switched the MAS, she runs like a dream now.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 PM
I'll mention the Mass airflow sensor to the mechanic tomorrow, when I saw him on Friday he said an idle of 250/300 is fairly normal. I just shook my head. but if it's still at low idle when he replaces knock, cam, and crank sensors tomorrow I'll suggest the MaF sensor aswell.

Hopefully I get her back tomorrow, i'll post updates for anyone else that may be having the same issues.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya that is normal, at least on mine. I was experiencing below 1 after my engine warmed up. I am guessing it is already at the shop? Dealership? I went the route your going thinking everything needs replaced. Luckily I know someone as the Nissan dealership that helped me out.

Next time I would take it to a dealership for them to run the diagnostics on it. The route you are going your going to pay a good bit for all the sensors when they could not be the problem. You do not have to pay the dealership to install it but they are usually more knowledgeable, especially when it comes to our cars. Either way, hope they fix the problem the first time around. Let us know what happens.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:09 PM
u guys reading ur rpm gauges correctly or wat?

read #4

200rpm idle is not normal

Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't know our engines could idle at such a low RPM.. Like saywat asked- are you reading the gauges correctly?? And what mechanic said that's normal? I've never seen a modern gasoline powered car that said normal idle was anywhere below 600 rpm. If one does exist somewhere, I at least know the G is not one of them!

I'd wonder if it was MAF as well, it's not a bad guess, but I'm thinking the fact that it seems to drive fine (when it works) while maintaining a consistently low RPM points to another issue. Sensors that the "mechanic" diagnosed as faulty are probably a good start.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low Idle/loss of Powersteering