19.10%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Is your G35 a sports car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by dominate
Imo, while the coupe looks more "sporty", I think it is as much a sports car as the coupe because it'll handle the same, accelerate the same, same transmission, etc... I do see your point about it standing out more though, sedans don't normally stand out as much as coupes. To each his own.
Yes, I agree as far as power and handling go. But the car has to look the part too. It's like being attracted to someone, though in a perfect world, people "try" to tell you to look beyond one's looks and look into what their personality is like and what their intentions are. But that is in a perfect world, lets be honest, you have to be attracted to something or somebody first. There are certain vehicles where the 2 door looks better than the 4 door and vice versa.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
In my opinion yes. In a world dominated by 4 door vehicles its hard to stand out as a sedan, they typically blend in with everything else in traffic.

Originally Posted by thegreatkwijibo
Bitch please, don't misquote me before you make a meme.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
You just called the four door EVO and Subie STi sports cars, but yet the hatchbacks AE86 and Civic Si aren't?

You named a bunch of fast cars that can handle well, but if you take it to a small track with tight turns and no real straightaways, I'm willing to put more money on the Civic Si and AE86. The NSX, Vette, and Supra are too big to go around tight turns as well, and AWD understeers. Maybe an S2k, but the G/Z drives just as well. MR2 is a bit on the heavy side compares to the AE and Si, and the Porsche might stand a chance as well. And if we mod the cars and take them to a real track... I'd take a Miata over any of those, if I can fit in one.

It really depends on what your definition of "sporty" or "performance" is. Some people might see lots of speed as the main requirements of great performance, others might see great handling characteristics as the main requirements of great performance, others might want to see both - like a Lotus Elise or something of that sort. But people who nit-pick like that are the ones who drink with their pinkies in the air.

The G is a nicer version of the Z that performs pretty much the same, and that's enough for me and the majority of the world.
woah there. You just said you would put money on a civic si over a vette on corners? That is why the corvette did the nurburg is 7:26? really?

you watch this video and tell me you money is on the civic SI

and you may go oh but that is the ZR1 corvette, well it is still a corvette and I have some more factoids. The Z06 which is a popular to own corvette, did the nurburg in 7:22!! even faster than the ZR1 because there was a better driver.

I had a twin turbo C5 which was faster than the C6 Z06, but to remain stock a C5 which any own of us can buy ran the nurburgring in a 7:40!

to gain some perspective here. the brand new civic si can do it in 9:38.........

Last edited by twentyeggs; 09-30-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
Bitch please, don't misquote me before you make a meme.
point remains valid regardless of what you actually said.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
This leads us back to the AE86, and Civic SI, which while great cars that perform rather well, are still intended as economy cars rather than a sports car.
The Si is a performance version of the econo Civic. The K20 motors in both the Civic Si and the RSX are extremely well engineered motors, posibly more advanced than anything Nissan has.

And if gas mileage is the reason why you disqualify cars from being catagorized as a good performer, then would you call the new hybrid Ferrari, Porsche, and McLaren econo cars too?

Same thing with the G35. While it handles quite well and has a peppy engine, the used a quieter intake in the interest of keeping noise down in the interest of luxury, at the expense of a few ponies. The leather heated seats and other fancy crap they load in it makes it far heavier than a Z, which is already a bit luxurious for a sports car. And of course there is the softer suspension which sacrifices handling in the interest of ride quality.
You will not gain any power by witching out the G tube for a Z tube. You can get a Z with all the "luxuries" that you can get in a G.

It doesn't perform the same I assure you. My own test drives in z33s, which confirmed that the Z is much tighter through the corners, and pulls a bit harder due to the lack of weight.
Refinement doesn't mean the car will perform any less. But the stiffer chassis of the Z due to the rear strut bar means you can drive it differently than a G - but that does not mean it is any faster.

Let me ask you this - how would you classify a Bentley Continental coupe? It's big, heavy, and very luxurious.

Also they tested a Z33 against an S2K, a V35, a Mazdaspeed RX8, and some other kind of special RX8, and both the z33 and S2K obliterated the other 3 Cars.
And they also just mash on the gas pedal to see which one gets around the track faster as well. You can't drive every car the same way and expect every one of them to be performing at it's best.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 PM
point remains valid regardless of what you actually said.
But no one said sedans can't stand out. You just hopped on makeameme while you didn't even read my quote properly and were quick to post. I too drive a sedan, a W204 platform that I too have modded.

The following users liked this post:
Lone Wolf (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
[QUOTE=xXHotelCrazyXx;6820606]Coupes yes, sedans no. The coupe is known as a "sports coupe" in the automotive world, therefore is a a sports car.[/QUO
The sedans are known as sport sedan

Last edited by Gman56; 09-30-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Gman56
The sedans are know as sport sedan.
I understand that, my point I was making is I don't feel that the G35 Sedans are very sporty when it comes to the coupes.

Last edited by xXHotelCrazyXx; 09-30-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,027 Likes on 944 Posts
Congrats on moving up Hotel, What do you think of the new 30,000$ Entry Level Mercedes?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Thats true.I guess thats why Infiniti gave them more ponies! So there would be a difference in performance

Old 09-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Congrats on moving up Hotel, What do you think of the new 30,000$ Entry Level Mercedes?
Oh no, i still have my G35 I personally haven't driven the new CLA, but from what I have seen on the MB forums, guys are not liking it at all. They say its "very entry" level as far as quality and feel goes.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,027 Likes on 944 Posts
*Sob*

It doesn't come with all the "other stuff?"

Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
The Si is a performance version of the econo Civic.
but it is still the econo civic.

The K20 motors in both the Civic Si and the RSX are extremely well engineered motors, posibly more advanced than anything Nissan has.
True.

And if gas mileage is the reason why you disqualify cars from being catagorized as a good performer, then would you call the new hybrid Ferrari, Porsche, and McLaren econo cars too?
I don't disqualify them because of good gas mileage, I disqualify them because the car is built for economy, and even when they stuff a powerful engine into the body, it's still not a car that was built for performance. Hybrid supercars, are just a sales ploy to make it seem as if they are concerned about the environment, but the car itself is still designed to perform.

You will not gain any power by witching out the G tube for a Z tube.
true but the fact that they put in the effort to design an intake that was quieter proves that luxury was at leas somewhat of a concern, which to me means its not a pure sports car, but rather a sporty luxury car.

You can get a Z with all the "luxuries" that you can get in a G.
IIRC I did in fact mention that the Z was a bit luxurious for a sports car.

Refinement doesn't mean the car will perform any less.
No but adding ballast in the form of useless creature comforts does.

But the stiffer chassis of the Z due to the rear strut bar means you can drive it differently than a G - but that does not mean it is any faster.
If the chassis is stiffer you can corner better, which does in fact make the car faster on the track.

[QUOTE]Let me ask you this - how would you classify a Bentley Continental coupe? It's big, heavy, and very luxurious.[/QUTOE]

The same way I would classify the G35 coupe. a luxury coupe. It is in fact a sporty luxury coupe, but its still a luxury coupe.

And they also just mash on the gas pedal to see which one gets around the track faster as well. You can't drive every car the same way and expect every one of them to be performing at it's best.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but a track test is in fact the test of performance, and if they are done at the same time (which they were), you can't blame weather or track conditions. If you're suggesting that the Hot Version crew aren't good drivers, I got nothing to say to that.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
*Sob*

It doesn't come with all the "other stuff?"
It does come with nice things, but these guys have been MB fans for quite some time now and so they have a bar set pretty high with what to expect from Mercedes-Benz. I think the CLA looks great and would still take it over a top of the line Honda, Hyundai, etc... any day just to be in the club. The quality is still really good, just not MBZ's best.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 PM
But no one said sedans can't stand out. You just hopped on makeameme while you didn't even read my quote properly and were quick to post. I too drive a sedan, a W204 platform that I too have modded.
But it's not really hard to stand out with a sedan. buy something like a G or a 3 series and lower it on wheels. I promise you everyone will notice. Also that Benz is ****ing beautiful.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is your G35 a sports car?