19.10%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Is your G35 a sports car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your G35 a sports car?

Some people have a different standards to define what a sports car is. Some on this site claim the G is not. I believe it is defined by what society, as the majority, says a sports car is. The G was designed for spirited acceleration and speed. It also outperforms 9 out of 10 cars on the road today.

What do you think? take the poll and comment below.

Is the Infinity G35 a sports car?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
If you think the 3 series BMW is a "sports car", then yes, so is the G35 et. al.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
IMO the issue isn't whether the G35 is a sporty car or not. That should be clear since the G is a dressed up 350Z. The debate is more about whether it's a luxury car or not.

Since I've been here, many people go on and on about how luxurious their G35 is when in fact it's only got a few luxuries to barely be considered an entry-level luxury car. Just because the seats are leather and heated doesn't really make the car that much more luxurious. My mom's Honda Accord has heated leather seats too, so does that make that thing a luxury car too?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
not sure about you op, but my cars motor is the same one thats in a murano...sooo nope.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dofu
IMO the issue isn't whether the G35 is a sporty car or not. That should be clear since the G is a dressed up 350Z. The debate is more about whether it's a luxury car or not.

Since I've been here, many people go on and on about how luxurious their G35 is when in fact it's only got a few luxuries to barely be considered an entry-level luxury car. Just because the seats are leather and heated doesn't really make the car that much more luxurious. My mom's Honda Accord has heated leather seats too, so does that make that thing a luxury car too?
i think you have to throw in the way we are treated at the stealership when it comes to the word "luxury". supposedly despite ridiculous claims and prices ($375 for cam sensor change) we are a little better treated and "cared for" more as opposed to a honda or toyota dealer. not much better but better. lol

Old 09-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
not sure about you op, but my cars motor is the same one thats in a murano...sooo nope.
That's because this motor puts down some good torque. The 240SX came to the US with the motor out of the Hardbody truck instead of the original SR20DET for that same reason. Torque is not a bad thing and is much needed when you exit a turn and need to accelerate.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
I personally think we need to differentiate between a sports car and a regular or luxury car that is sporty. To me anyway a sports car is a car that is purely designed to go fast. It's lightweight, has a suspension designed for handling with little to no consideration to comfort, and a powerful engine. Sports cars would be cars like the Nissan Z, Mitsubishi lan-evo, Subaru STI, Honda S2000, Honda NSX, Toyota Supra, Toyota MR2, Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche 911 etc. A "sporty" car is a car that is built to be a practical daily, or a luxury car, but is not built without regard to performance. In other words the suspension may be a bit softer for comfort, it may be a bit heavier for purposes of having more interior or cargo space, or maybe the engine is a little less powerful for fuel economy, but the car still performs decently overall. The Nissan S-chassis, Toyota AE86, Honda Civic (especially SI), Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G35, BMWs etc. would be examples of this. And in regards to the mods I don't think one can really turn a non-sports car into a sports car, even if it performs its still the same design as before. anyway just my .02

The following users liked this post:
herrschaft (09-30-2013)
Banned
Originally Posted by dofu
That's because this motor puts down some good torque. The 240SX came to the US with the motor out of the Hardbody truck instead of the original SR20DET for that same reason. Torque is not a bad thing and is much needed when you exit a turn and need to accelerate.
good point

i think you have to throw in the way we are treated at the stealership when it comes to the word "luxury". supposedly despite ridiculous claims and prices ($375 for cam sensor change) we are a little better treated and "cared for" more as opposed to a honda or toyota dealer. not much better but better. lol
Infinity does nothing but jack up prices. They did nothing about my oil consumption for the longest time. When they finally were willing to, they wanted us to spend tons of money with them and jump through a bunch of hoops. Honda dealerships have treated me much better than that and took care of all sorts of issues under warranty. If you want to feel "cared for", get a Lexus or a Benz.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
According to some insurance companies...

Old 09-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned
this ^ benz dealerships treat you like a king.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
so because corvettes came with the same engines as pickups until the introduction of the LT1 in 1992, those old corvettes weren't sports cars? I don't really understand your logic. If anything the fact that it has an engine that has to be powerful to be used to move heavy trucks and SUVs supports the sports car theory.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by thegreatkwijibo
I personally think we need to differentiate between a sports car and a regular or luxury car that is sporty. To me anyway a sports car is a car that is purely designed to go fast. It's lightweight, has a suspension designed for handling with little to no consideration to comfort, and a powerful engine. Sports cars would be cars like the Nissan Z, Mitsubishi lan-evo, Subaru STI, Honda S2000, Honda NSX, Toyota Supra, Toyota MR2, Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche 911 etc. A "sporty" car is a car that is built to be a practical daily, or a luxury car, but is not built without regard to performance. In other words the suspension may be a bit softer for comfort, it may be a bit heavier for purposes of having more interior or cargo space, or maybe the engine is a little less powerful for fuel economy, but the car still performs decently overall. The Nissan S-chassis, Toyota AE86, Honda Civic (especially SI), Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G35, BMWs etc. would be examples of this. And in regards to the mods I don't think one can really turn a non-sports car into a sports car, even if it performs its still the same design as before. anyway just my .02
You just called the four door EVO and Subie STi sports cars, but yet the hatchbacks AE86 and Civic Si aren't?

You named a bunch of fast cars that can handle well, but if you take it to a small track with tight turns and no real straightaways, I'm willing to put more money on the Civic Si and AE86. The NSX, Vette, and Supra are too big to go around tight turns as well, and AWD understeers. Maybe an S2k, but the G/Z drives just as well. MR2 is a bit on the heavy side compares to the AE and Si, and the Porsche might stand a chance as well. And if we mod the cars and take them to a real track... I'd take a Miata over any of those, if I can fit in one.

It really depends on what your definition of "sporty" or "performance" is. Some people might see lots of speed as the main requirements of great performance, others might see great handling characteristics as the main requirements of great performance, others might want to see both - like a Lotus Elise or something of that sort. But people who nit-pick like that are the ones who drink with their pinkies in the air.

The G is a nicer version of the Z that performs pretty much the same, and that's enough for me and the majority of the world.

Last edited by dofu; 09-30-2013 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Banned
so because corvettes came with the same engines as pickups until the introduction of the LT1 in 1992, those old corvettes weren't sports cars? I don't really understand your logic. If anything the fact that it has an engine that has to be powerful to be used to move heavy trucks and SUVs supports the sports car theory.
i understand what youre saying but the op wanted personal opinion on their car. and PERSONALLY when my cars motor has been used in older models pathfinders it doesnt exactly give off that sports car vibe. I understand when you say motors are used throughout a companys lineup ie the v8 used in the cayenne and the panamera. but at the end of the day my true "sports car" will have a motor used solely in that car alone and not the family suv next to me at the traffic light.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I disagree. You have the S2000 listed as a sports car and I will not disagree with it being a sports car. I think it definitely is. I think the mazda MX-5 is a sports car that doesn't get the praise it deserves because its a "chick car". However if you consider the S2000 a sports cars, then the G35 has to be a sports car. I have driven many S2000s and I think its a good car and a sports car, but it is no faster around a track than a G35 (sedan or coupe). The only thing that makes the majority of people call it a sports car is the absence of a roof which IMO although it was designed to not have a roof, still makes it not as sporty/fast as it could be if it was a hard top. About cargo space... what coupe owner says they have cargo space? I guess the backseat allows for some cargo but I can't count the number of times I couldn't take my car because something average wouldn't fit. Also if the Z is a sports car, then the G is a sports car. They are not worlds apart.

Also if we want to say that the G is not a luxury car, I completely agree. Even 10 years ago it when it was new, it wasn't a good "luxury car"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is your G35 a sports car?