19.10%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Is your G35 a sports car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
I agree, just a couple mods can really make a car stand out in day to day traffic, but once you get in the mix with other cars at shows etc...it becomes a challenge to do something differently and stand out without it being in a bad way.
That seems to be true about shows in general though.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
yes, it is a sports car... at least the 6MT coupe is..... it has a stiff suspension, 2 doors, 19" wheels and a highly tuned engine from the factory...... i think you could consider the 5AT coupe one as well and probably even the 6MT sedan.... but i dunno about the 5AT sedan.. it sits higher, softer suspension, smaller wheels, less power, and of course, 4 doors... still nice cars though......if a 350z is a sports car, then the G coupe is most definitely a luxury sports car... its a Z with a back seat for crying out loud

The following users liked this post:
Texasscout (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by thegreatkwijibo
The huge flaw in your logic is that the true definition of a sports car is a car with two doors and seats one or two people, low slung with nice lines (however you want to describe that type of aerodynamics) built for the sole purpose of performance with no useful utility. So that really means the EVO and STi only meet one of the requirements to be a true sports car. And technically, none of the cars you've listed should be considered sports cars because they have trunks that can actually hold something.

Over the years, marketing and the automobile companies have been listening to what consumers want, and new segments have been created to fit the market's wants and needs. The original definition of a coupe and sedan have been completely messed up as what actually differentiates a coupe from a sedan is size, not how many doors the car has, and the definition of a sports car has definitely changed. New technologies gave people who cannot afford the expense of a proper sports cars and needed something that performs but is more practical were given the poor man's sports cars that are designed to do more than just perform, what you call "econo cars" like the Civic Si (which is a Civic built to perform much like how the EVO is a performance version of the econo box named Lancer) and other cheap performance cars that you will always see tearing it up at the tracks, and new sports car segments were created such as the hot hatches and the sports sedans, which is exactly what the G sedans are. Like I've been saying, the fact that the G is a dressed up Z tells you it is a sports car, just with added luxuries - although the biggest difference between the Z and G are the extra seats. So not only is the Civic Si as much of a sports car as the EVO or STi, the AE86 is more of a sports car than either of those since it only seats two.

And yes, Bentley's twin turbo, 600+ hp Continental GT is a proper sports car.

So to be honest, what performance tests say doesn't mean anything here. All it says is which car is faster when you push it, and that can become a game of whose car is the fastest that only hypercars (another new segment) and other exotics can win.

Last edited by dofu; 10-01-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:57 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
The huge flaw in your logic is that the true definition of a sports car is a car with two doors and seats one or two people, low slung with nice lines (however you want to describe that type of aerodynamics) built for the sole purpose of performance with no useful utility. So that really means the EVO and STi only meet one of the requirements to be a true sports car. And technically, none of the cars you've listed should be considered sports cars because they have trunks that can actually hold something.

Over the years, marketing and the automobile companies have been listening to what consumers want, and new segments have been created to fit the market's wants and needs. The original definition of a coupe and sedan have been completely messed up as what actually differentiates a coupe from a sedan is size, not how many doors the car has, and the definition of a sports car has definitely changed. New technologies gave people who cannot afford the expense of a proper sports cars and needed something that performs but is more practical were given the poor man's sports cars that are designed to do more than just perform, what you call "econo cars" like the Civic Si (which is a Civic built to perform much like how the EVO is a performance version of the econo box named Lancer) and other cheap performance cars that you will always see tearing it up at the tracks, and new sports car segments were created such as the hot hatches and the sports sedans, which is exactly what the G sedans are. Like I've been saying, the fact that the G is a dressed up Z tells you it is a sports car, just with added luxuries - although the biggest difference between the Z and G are the extra seats. So not only is the Civic Si as much of a sports car as the EVO or STi, the AE86 is more of a sports car than either of those since it only seats two.

So to be honest, what performance tests say doesn't mean anything here. All it says is which car is faster when you push it, and that can become a game of whose car is the fastest that only hypercars (another new segment) and other exotics can win.
Doesn't the Continental GT seat four? How is it a proper sports car if it contradicts with your interpretation of the "true definition of a sports car"?

So is a Camaro SS not anymore of a sports car than the Si because it also seats four?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Babyseat
And the v10 in the Lamborghini gallardo that is the same as the s8? The D3 series S8 features a 5.2-litre all-aluminium alloy four-valves per cylinder V10 petrol engine. This engine is a derivative of the Lamborghini Gallardo's original 5.0-litre Lamborghini V10,[17] which was also developed under the Volkswagen Group ownership.

But no a Lamborghini gallardo isn't a super sports car right?
Brb let me check when I said that a gallardo was not a sports car. I'm back. It would seem those words were placed in my mouth. You can play your nonsense game and name every motor that was shared with another car all day long, yet I do believe I simply stated my personal preference of wanting a sports car with a motor that is its own solely. That does not negate every sports car, namely those with motors used in other models. In the event of my G and no not your G, as again this is a matter of personal preference, it's VQ being in other models much less powerful tends to lessen the sports car vibe and appeal FOR ME. Let me ask you this is it harder to read my previous posts and use common sense when it comes to a sports cars motor being solely it's own or is it harder for you to remove the "[17]" source link you copy and pasted off from Wikipedia?

Is your G35 a sports car?-mix08rt.jpg
Stay hot

Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Under this definition, only the Ariel Atom would qualify.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts

I honestly wouldn't compare the EVO to the Civic SI it's too for from the economy car Lancer. Either way I see where you're coming from with the EVO having four doors rather than two, but it's still built for performance. The G is dressed up as you put it, which isn't entirely accurate because it is still different chassis, because its built for luxury (although they didn't do a good job of that but thats beside the point). It does perform quite well, but as I stated earlier it was destroyed by the S2K and z33 on the track. I do agree however that it is part of the new sports sedan segment, similar to hot hatches and other segments, but its a grey area, and I personally don't put any of these in the sports car category.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well this thread sure took off...

Old 10-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by dominate
Doesn't the Continental GT seat four? How is it a proper sports car if it contradicts with your interpretation of the "true definition of a sports car"?
Some configurations seat four, some seat two.

Originally Posted by dominate
So is a Camaro SS not anymore of a sports car than the Si because it also seats four?
If we really want to get technical, the GTR is the same. While it doesn't really ever seat more than two, it has rear seats.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
^I think Hotel meant stock, unmodified G sedans blending into the crowd of Camry's and 3-series BMW's.

Modified G's make up a small percentage of all the G's out there unless you are in SoCal where every car is modified. LOL!

Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Under this definition, only the Ariel Atom would qualify.
Ariel Atom, KTM X-Bow, Bac Mono, and numerous exotics, supercars, and hypercars. Paganis, Lambos, and many others have trunks but they are to small to really store anything - they are more like extra space that they've lined and covered with a door.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
So...yay or nay on the Deloreon?

Take a trip to the Nurburgring and you'll have a different view of a "sports car" when you see your everyday VW Golf and Toyota GT-86 (FR-S) with nothing more than race tires and brakes romp M3's and GT-R's. No joke. Oh, and they are available for rent for only 149 Euro's right on the track.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I would call the Delorean an "exotic", but not a sports car, a civic auto could out run it.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess technically a stock G is a sports car, but I felt it left plenty to be desired. But now with 440whp and a turbo I'd say it definitely is.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by thegreatkwijibo
I honestly wouldn't compare the EVO to the Civic SI it's too for from the economy car Lancer. Either way I see where you're coming from with the EVO having four doors rather than two, but it's still built for performance. The G is dressed up as you put it, which isn't entirely accurate because it is still different chassis, because its built for luxury (although they didn't do a good job of that but thats beside the point). It does perform quite well, but as I stated earlier it was destroyed by the S2K and z33 on the track. I do agree however that it is part of the new sports sedan segment, similar to hot hatches and other segments, but its a grey area, and I personally don't put any of these in the sports car category.
So then the question is - if we are going to modify the definition of "sports car", how far do we twist it? Do we go by marketing standards where they've categorized all of these cars into categories they see fit? Do we go by insurance claims? Track times? Motor technologies? Power to weight ratio? The amount of engineering that went into the car's design?

Just because cars like the EVO, STi, or Type-R are built for performance doesn't mean other cars that aren't improved version of another car can't perform either. Is the WRX not going to be considered a sports car because it isn't an STi? It still has a suspension built to perform, a turbocharged boxer motor, and all-wheel drive. Is the Maserati MC12 not a sports car because it's a dressed up Enzo?

Nothing about the G beside the added luxury, sedan or coupe, says it doesn't fit in the modified sports car segment either. Sport suspension, high performance motor with 240-298 hp, 269 lbs of torque, 52/48 weight distribution, with the curb weight of the heaviest US model at just under 3400 lbs. What about the sedans' chassis is so horrible? It still has a very nice weight distribution.

Just for contrast, the GTR has a curb weight of 3800, and the 350z is only about 200 lbs lighter than the G, while the older 300ZX weighed in at under 2700 for it's heaviest model, STi - 3200, EVO X MR - 3600. If we go by weight, the G sedan is lighter than the coupe, so does that mean the sedan is more of a sports car than the coupe? The 300ZX which was seen as one of the best handling cars mainly due to it's nice, close to 50/50 weight distribution at it's time was as horrible as 55/45, and put down less power to the wheels than any G35 does. The EVO and STi have a weight distribution of about 52/48, Ferrari 458 - 52/48, Porsche 911 - 58/42, Cayman - 64/36, GTR - 50/50. IMHO, if you want to get technical, get technical with the info that matters for performance.

BTW, my G sedan can take 300ZX twin turbos all day.

Last edited by dofu; 10-01-2013 at 03:10 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is your G35 a sports car?