Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Is your G35 a sports car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
You just called the four door EVO and Subie STi sports cars, but yet the hatchbacks AE86 and Civic Si aren't?

You named a bunch of fast cars that can handle well, but if you take it to a small track with tight turns and no real straightaways, I'm willing to put more money on the Civic Si and AE86. The NSX, Vette, and Supra are too big to go around tight turns as well, and AWD understeers. Maybe an S2k, but the G/Z drives just as well. MR2 is a bit on the heavy side compares to the AE and Si, and the Porsche might stand a chance as well. And if we mod the cars and take them to a real track... I'd take a Miata over any of those, if I can fit in one.

It really depends on what your definition of "sporty" or "performance" is. Some people might see lots of speed as the main requirements of great performance, others might see great handling characteristics as the main requirements of great performance, others might want to see both - like a Lotus Elise or something of that sort. But people who nit-pick like that are the ones who drink with their pinkies in the air.

The G is a nicer version of the Z that performs pretty much the same, and that's enough for me and the majority of the world.
lets add to this mess lol...
BRZ and FRS....sports cars?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Banned
Old 09-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I know its a sports car because we pay insurance premiums for sports cars

Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
definitely are

Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
That's a given. Do you really have to ask?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Banned
That's a given. Do you really have to ask?
just curious to see peoples thoughts. I agree that it is.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Delorean...Sports car? It can go 88 mph...

The following users liked this post:
Lartytiejdke3 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jairen
Delorean...Sports car? It can go 88 mph...
Once upon a time, 88 mph was really fast!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Coupes yes, sedans no. The coupe is known as a "sports coupe" in the automotive world, therefore is a a sports car.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Coupes yes, sedans no. The coupe is known as a "sports coupe" in the automotive world, therefore is a a sports car.
The sedan is known as a "sport sedan". The G35s are all "entry level luxury sport cars".

Old 09-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,020 Likes on 937 Posts
"Coupes are for chickens"

thegreatkwijibo (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
So is an M3 sedan less of a sports car because it has two less doors than the coupe variant?

I consider the V35 chassis to be entry luxury, "sporty" cars, but not necessarily "sports cars" in today's world. Back in 2003, you might be able to argue it's a sports car. Maybe I'd even consider a V35 a sports car in today's world if it's a 6 speed. As an automatic sedan owner, don't consider my car a "sports car", but a "sporty" car instead.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by dominate
So is an M3 sedan less of a sports car because it has two less doors than the coupe variant?
In my opinion yes. In a world dominated by 4 door vehicles its hard to stand out as a sedan, they typically blend in with everything else in traffic.

Lartytiejdke3 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
You just called the four door EVO and Subie STi
The EVO and STI are both built to perform, so yes. Number of doors is irrelevant. does having 2 doors make a tC or an RSX any less of an econobox?

sports cars, but yet the hatchbacks AE86 and Civic Si aren't?
Precisely. even though both of those cars are relatively fun to drive cars, they are economy cars. They need modification for real performance, and to me it's still just the same sporty economy car.

You named a bunch of fast cars that can handle well, but if you take it to a small track with tight turns and no real straightaways, I'm willing to put more money on the Civic Si and AE86. The NSX, Vette, and Supra are too big to go around tight turns as well, and AWD understeers. Maybe an S2k, but the G/Z drives just as well. MR2 is a bit on the heavy side compares to the AE and Si, and the Porsche might stand a chance as well.
Granted, but if you name any car I can tell you the cars weakness when compared to another car. Thats the thing there is no strict formula, just a loose definition that the G does not really meet.

And if we mod the cars and take them to a real track... I'd take a Miata over any of those, if I can fit in one.
While I would agree that on a certain type of track, or on a canyon/mountain run the Miata would be an excellent choice, and that it is a sports car, the point isn't whether you can mod a car to make it fast at the track. I could do that with my mother's Camry if I wanted to, but even if I didn't that car wasn't made to run at the track, it was meant to get peoples mothers to church and the grocery store.

It really depends on what your definition of "sporty" or "performance" is.
Couldn't agree more, and I'm stating mine. To me performance means that the car handles brakes, and acclerates well. A sports car is something that does all of this, and compromises none of it for luxury or practicality. A sporty car is a car that sort of does these things, but in the interest of luxury or practicality sacrifices some of its performance. This leads us back to the AE86, and Civic SI, which while great cars that perform rather well, are still intended as economy cars rather than a sports car. Same thing with the G35. While it handles quite well and has a peppy engine, the used a quieter intake in the interest of keeping noise down in the interest of luxury, at the expense of a few ponies. The leather heated seats and other fancy crap they load in it makes it far heavier than a Z, which is already a bit luxurious for a sports car. And of course there is the softer suspension which sacrifices handling in the interest of ride quality.

Some people might see lots of speed as the main requirements of great performance, others might see great handling characteristics as the main requirements of great performance, others might want to see both - like a Lotus Elise or something of that sort. But people who nit-pick like that are the ones who drink with their pinkies in the air.
As stated I believe it needs to have a good balance of both, but I guess that makes me a nitpicker either way I assure you my pinky always remains firmly wrapped around whatever I happen to be drinking

The G is a nicer version of the Z that performs pretty much the same, and that's enough for me and the majority of the world.
It doesn't perform the same I assure you. My own test drives in z33s, which confirmed that the Z is much tighter through the corners, and pulls a bit harder due to the lack of weight. Also they tested a Z33 against an S2K, a V35, a Mazdaspeed RX8, and some other kind of special RX8, and both the z33 and S2K obliterated the other 3 Cars.

i understand what youre saying but the op wanted personal opinion on their car. and PERSONALLY when my cars motor has been used in older models pathfinders it doesnt exactly give off that sports car vibe. I understand when you say motors are used throughout a companys lineup ie the v8 used in the cayenne and the panamera. but at the end of the day my true "sports car" will have a motor used solely in that car alone and not the family suv next to me at the traffic light.
haha fair enough I mean I agree with you that it isn't but for different reasons.

Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
I disagree. You have the S2000 listed as a sports car and I will not disagree with it being a sports car. I think it definitely is. I think the mazda MX-5 is a sports car that doesn't get the praise it deserves because its a "chick car".
And I agree with that.

However if you consider the S2000 a sports cars, then the G35 has to be a sports car. I have driven many S2000s and I think its a good car and a sports car, but it is no faster around a track than a G35 (sedan or coupe).
I already said it while replying to dofu, but Hot Version's track test disagrees with this.

About cargo space... what coupe owner says they have cargo space? I guess the backseat allows for some cargo but I can't count the number of times I couldn't take my car because something average wouldn't fit.
The G specifically falls more under the category of having to many bells and whistles that at the track serve as nothing more than ballast. The cargo space comment was just in general, since there are cars that are built to be a bit larger purely for the purpose of having more cargo space/interior room.

Also if the Z is a sports car, then the G is a sports car. They are not worlds apart.
See my above replies on the subject.

Also if we want to say that the G is not a luxury car, I completely agree. Even 10 years ago it when it was new, it wasn't a good "luxury car"
Can't Disagree with that

But just a closing comment while I don't personally consider the G a sports car, I definitely know that it is a great performing car, but it needs a bit of modification to really perform. That being said that's part of the reason I bought one (besides it's sexy looks), and part of the reason I love it so much. It's much more fun to work on and perfect a car like this anyway.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
In my opinion yes. In a world dominated by 4 door vehicles its hard to stand out as a sedan, they typically blend in with everything else in traffic.
Imo, while the coupe looks more "sporty", I think it is as much a sports car as the coupe because it'll handle the same, accelerate the same, same transmission, etc... I do see your point about it standing out more though, sedans don't normally stand out as much as coupes. To each his own.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
Name:  SEDANS-CANT-STAND_zps8dd42b82.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  58.5 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is your G35 a sports car?