G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

So the G fell on me today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
So the G fell on me today

Hey all,

First off, I am alright but I learned quite a lesson. I replaced all 4 rotors and pads on the G today!

Did the fronts with no issues at all, then backed the car into my garage and jacked up only one side in the rear and started to work. Legible I was in the wheel well rep my thecaliper bracket, the G rolled forward off of the shitty OEM trunk jack. Pinned me against the concrete and I was able to squeeze out.

Now I realize I should not have relied on the OEM jack but damn this had never happened to me before. Question is, how should I have gone about getting the car off the ground she I have to replace the rear rotors??

Thanks guys

Old 10-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
How skinny are you?! No shot I coulda squeezed out
Glad you're alright

Old 10-01-2013, 05:07 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Wow I had hoped I'd never read a thread like this on here, you sir are a lucky man. If you're going to DIY projects on your car, please get a pair of jackstands and a good quality low profile jack and do it right. You could've been killed by not being smart about your car maintenance.

The following 7 users liked this post by Blue Dream:
bigc (10-03-2013), Drew113 (10-18-2013), GR6RR (10-01-2013), ItsA..Gthing (10-01-2013), LoSt180 (10-02-2013), thegreatkwijibo (10-01-2013), TIAN (10-01-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
You were lucky. This could've turned out very bad. Get the right tools!

Old 10-01-2013, 05:18 PM
well, here is the thing. I own currently 2 rear wheel drive cars and I have owned many, from mustangs to an MKIV supra. I have NEVER had this happen to me ever.

If i were to ever go under the car, I always use jack stands and bricks in front and behing every wheel.

BUT, this one rolled right off the jack. This G is my wifes and its an auto. so both front tires were on the ground and I only jacked up one side in the rear, just enough to get the tire off...

what did i do wrong? the crazy thing was, when I tried to jack up the front to get the rear higher in order to get the jack back under it, the MF rolled forward again and smashed the OEM jack....

AHH sorry to have such a tale but man, it scared me good.

How would you guys jack up the car in the rear?

Last edited by willmkent; 10-01-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
You can use any normal floor jack at the factory jack point on the side of the car and then slide a jack stand under. I've done that probably 25 times on my G.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:32 PM
ok right on. dude it scare m so bad, this was a major mistake on my part, im going to go buy a new floor jack asap

the crazy thing is, my hand somehow got crushed so it hurts pretty bad.

anyways, the only issue I'm having is that now my brake light is on for the e brake (auto) and when i pull the pedal backwards it goes off but when i let go it goes back on... any ideas???

Old 10-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Jesus christ man...

Jack stands, even idiot theft's that steal wheels know to use em (cinderblocks)

Old 10-01-2013, 06:54 PM
cmon man, dont hate. I have never had this happen. Of course if i expected it I would have gone all out. but still

Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
"we got no food, no jobs, our G's are fallin on us!"

Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Pretty damned lucky your nuts weren,t under the rotor. You lived and hopefully learned. If you do this dumb move again, no sympathy from me

Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by willmkent
well, here is the thing. I own currently 2 rear wheel drive cars and I have owned many, from mustangs to an MKIV supra. I have NEVER had this happen to me ever.

If i were to ever go under the car, I always use jack stands and bricks in front and behing every wheel.

BUT, this one rolled right off the jack. This G is my wifes and its an auto. so both front tires were on the ground and I only jacked up one side in the rear, just enough to get the tire off...

what did i do wrong? the crazy thing was, when I tried to jack up the front to get the rear higher in order to get the jack back under it, the MF rolled forward again and smashed the OEM jack....

AHH sorry to have such a tale but man, it scared me good.

How would you guys jack up the car in the rear?
If you lift one side of the rear off the ground, the other tire spins freely with our differential setup. You'd need a solid rear axle or a locking diff. for this not to happen assuming the car is in gear and your clutch is not slipping.

I assume you had your E-brake on while jacking it up? The E-brakes in most cars aren't that strong when both rear wheels are on the gorund and that's multiplied by the fact that when you jack up one rear wheel, you're relying on the E-brake for only one of the rear wheels to hold the entire car still. It's just not strong enough to reliably do this.

Next time, chock the other 3 wheels on both sides with wheel chocks (or something else makeshift that won't move if the car tries to roll). You should always ALWAYS AAAAALWAYS use jack stands if you plan on climbing under the car to work on it, regardless of how good of a jack you have. Pneumatic jacks can also fail. Another good failsafe is to put the tire that you have removed from the car under the car on its side (rim shiny side facing up), this way if the car falls off of the jack, it will hit the tire instead of landing on you and crushing you. This is what you're supposed to do if you're ever stuck on the side of the road and changing a tire. It's much cheaper to replace a damaged tire/rim than your own crushed torso, abdomen and head.

I hope you realize how lucky you are. There are people every year who are killed in the same situation that you were fortunately able to escape from without any serious injury.

The following users liked this post:
LoSt180 (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Wheel chalks/chocks...

Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Partyman hit the nail on the head. Great advice and explanation for why it happened.

OP you were lucky this time and it seems like you have learned from it. Good luck in the future and be safe.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
**** you lucky SOB. Buy a lottery ticket, haha.

I try to keep at least 3 supports under a car when i work on them: two jackstands and a jack, or two jacks and a jackstand. Plus a wheel. You are a lucky ****er.

That said, please never ever get *under* a car with an OEM jack. They are only for swapping tires. Partyman is right right right.

Get some wheel chocks, a jack (a set from sears is like 75 for two stands and the jack), and for christ's sake use your better judgement!

How I lift the rear: Chock front wheel, Jack under the differential, put two jackstands on the OEM pinch welds. After that I usually leave the jack unloaded but just under the diff incase. If it gets in the way of my work, I put the jack adjacent to a jack stand.

From my experience if you are lifting and see the car move alot, say 1/2" or more front to back or side to side, you will need to re-evaluate what is happening, cause something is not right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So the G fell on me today