G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

So the G fell on me today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Glad you weren't injured!

You are seriously one lucky guy! If you intend to keep working on your car at the very least visit a Harbor Freight store near you. You'll need a floor jack, they have several available at reasonable prices. You can't depend on a floor jack 100% so you'll need at least two jack stands, four would be a better idea. I use my subframe to place my jack and jack stands for the best results. Good Luck- be safe!
Gary

Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Crappy OEM scissor jack should only be used in emergencies. For anyone who works on their own vehicle a good jack is a must, and a set of jack stands are cheap.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
yea, i cut a major corner here. I have 2 jackstands and my floor jack busted so i decided to use the OEM jack.. man was I wrong. one thing I dont have though is the wheel chocks. I think that would be a big difference it this issue. This has never happened to me so I feel that I learned a valuable lesson for sure. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the feedback for sure

Old 10-02-2013, 02:55 AM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by willmkent
cmon man, dont hate. I have never had this happen. Of course if i expected it I would have gone all out. but still
I'm not trying to run you into the ground man, but, just because something like this hasn't happened before, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Last edited by Lone Wolf; 10-02-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Agreed, but sometimes people don't learn until the are forced too. I was playing it way too risky because I felt like it was fine, that was my bad entirely

Old 10-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Wow. Good think you are ok. I get paranoid under cars all the time because of this.

You should really be using jackstands...in pairs. It's the safest, most stable way to lift a car and work on it. Harborfrieght, or sears has really good deals on jacks with jackstands and wheel chocks. For about $100 you can be sure to never get crushed.

If you are working on the front, chock the rear wheels and lift the front wheels as a pair. If out back, chock the front wheels and lift the rear as a pair.

Basically like this

If you can, 4 jackstands would be ideal. With all 4 corners supported, i've crawled under my cars to do clutch jobs, transmissions, axle removals, etc.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:12 PM
thanks man, I will never do another job underneath a car again unless i have taken that measure. 4 jackstands is a must IMO after this incident

Old 10-04-2013, 04:23 AM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Wow. Good think you are ok. I get paranoid under cars all the time because of this.

You should really be using jackstands...in pairs. It's the safest, most stable way to lift a car and work on it. Harborfrieght, or sears has really good deals on jacks with jackstands and wheel chocks. For about $100 you can be sure to never get crushed.

If you are working on the front, chock the rear wheels and lift the front wheels as a pair. If out back, chock the front wheels and lift the rear as a pair.

Basically like this

If you can, 4 jackstands would be ideal. With all 4 corners supported, i've crawled under my cars to do clutch jobs, transmissions, axle removals, etc.
What are those half circle things the front jackstands are on? They look no thicker than the saddle on the jackstands and looks like it wouldn't be hard for that half circle piece to slip off the saddle. Looks sketchy to me, and if I saw that, I wouldn't crawl under it. Unless those half circle plates are not as skinny as I'm thinking.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 AM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Yup. I wouldn't crawl under this. Looks like if it moves just half an inch, the half circle will be 50% off the saddle. (in fact, looks like this guy set it up so that it's already 50% off)

Much rather have it on the frame, or on the designated jackstand points on the pinch weld if I need more room.

And if wheels come off, I slide them under the car. Yes, I'm paranoid, but it's better than being dead.

@OP - Trunk jack? Really? Lesson learned I guess. As for a wheel chock. Buy a 2x4, split it, put it in front and behind the wheel touching the ground. Car shouldn't roll anymore. If it does roll over that 2x4, you are probably working on a rather steep incline, which you shouldn't be doing in the first place.

Oh, and one more thing. Don't get Harbor Freight or other cheap jackstands please. There are stories of cheap jackstands buckling/seperating/failing. Harbor Freight does have a nice low profile jack that is worth buying. Only because it's a jack, not a jackstand. And if it fails, you won't be under the car. Unlike a jackstand, where if it fails, it's all over. Cheap jacks are fine if you're smart enough to know not to use it to hold up the car. Cheap jackstands on the other hand, scare the **** out of me.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 100 Likes on 87 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Only diff is that I stopped the car before It fell off the jack completely.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ok the G35 weighs in at just over 2 tons... it IS a heavier car...

That said the correct tools for getting the car in the air are at the minimum a 2-ton Floor Jack, Jackstands, & Wheel chocks to prevent the damn thing from rolling.

relying n the ebrake is a BAD idea... not properly elevating the vehicle is a WORSE dea..

Old 10-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 100 Likes on 87 Posts
This is kinda crazy though lol. I'd be speechless lol.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude Jack stands are cheap you coulda been killed!

Old 10-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 272 Likes on 222 Posts
Harbor freight floor jack is $149
Harbor freight jack stands are $29.99

Never ever use the emergency jack that is in the trunk, its is meant for an emergency or to lift the car to get the proper floor jack under your car.

I would never ever go under a car without jackstands, and there are tons of places to put jack stands on the G.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So the G fell on me today