G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

YAKIMA roof rack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Yep. Power to me. I can hit the slopes and drive to bike trails with my toys in style.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Rack is meh
eyelids gotta go.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i recently installed one on my coupe as well...wasn't too bad. once I move to a place where its easier to lug a bike around i will be taking it off though. i live in very hilly areas now so I need it to transport it, can't ride close to home.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I didn't really wanna chime in too much, but as long as this keeps goin I just gotta say roof racks on sports cars are like a pet peeve of mine. There are some things you give up when you buy a sports car/coupe and one of those things is utility. I vote ugmo.

The following 2 users liked this post by ScraggleRock:
thegreatkwijibo (01-19-2014), Urbanengineer (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
I didn't really wanna chime in too much, but as long as this keeps goin I just gotta say roof racks on sports cars are like a pet peeve of mine. There are some things you give up when you buy a sports car/coupe and one of those things is utility. I vote ugmo.
Ya I liked it at first because it was different but I'm gonna be getting a new bumper and side skirts soon and don't think it will look right. I'll be getting a commuter car soon so I will either throw it on there or sell the racks.

I'd add a picture of mine but I can't for the life of me figure out how to.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
^upload them to photobucket, then copy the link to the picture then click the little button for pictures that has a little mountain thing on it then paste the link in the little box that pops up.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,026 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by g06driver
Ya I liked it at first because it was different but I'm gonna be getting a new bumper and side skirts soon and don't think it will look right. I'll be getting a commuter car soon so I will either throw it on there or sell the racks.

I'd add a picture of mine but I can't for the life of me figure out how to.
At the bottom of your reply post (like i'm typing in now), click manage attachments and add the photo of your car from your computer!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
The debate this is turning into is stupid.

Okay, I can agree about racks on true sports cars such as 350Z or S2000 or something of that nature being stupid and silly. The G35 was designed for people who want a sport car feel but want luxury and comfort for every day use (power everything, heated seats, navigation, sound system, blah blah). G35s are more or less gran touring luxury coupes with sporty elements. A nice DD that can still be fun on weekend track days. A such, roof racks for equipment I think are perfectly acceptable on these cars.

I like how it looks, it's completely functional and I use it almost daily so..
To each their own.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
^+1. If you use it, keep on. I have no problem with racks when used with a purpose.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with using a coupe to support the outdoor sports that you enjoy. The roof on the MB E Coupe is glass from front to back but, Mercedes has included small doors that can be opened and the roof racks bolt to metal brackets using a rachet system. There were a number of people who came up to me and commented on the looks of my rig. I did not know there was anyway to mount racks to my G35. Saw a thread where someone had theirs bolted through the roof. Ah not for me. I enjoy kayaking and I enjoy my cars. I will be looking into the Yakima racks for my G. My yak weighs 41 pounds. Those of you with Yakimas do you think they could handle the weight? The tape you can see on the hood is where the front tye down goes. The actual Kayak rack slides back to front with a roller in the back so you can just roll the yak up onto the rack. Can't call this JDM it will have to be AMG and can't be ricer has to be schnitzel!!!

Attached Thumbnails YAKIMA roof rack-benzyak.jpg  

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 01-19-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,026 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
I don't see anything wrong with using a coupe to support the outdoor sports that you enjoy. The roof on the MB E Coupe is glass from front to back but, Mercedes has included small doors that can be opened and the roof racks bolt to metal brackets using a rachet system. There were a number of people who came up to me and commented on the looks of my rig. I did not know there was anyway to mount racks to my G35. Saw a thread where someone had theirs bolted through the roof. Ah not for me. I enjoy kayaking and I enjoy my cars. I will be looking into the Yakima racks for my G. My yak weighs 41 pounds. Those of you with Yakimas do you think they could handle the weight? The tape you can see on the hood is where the front tye down goes. The actual Kayak rack slides back to front with a roller in the back so you can just roll the yak up onto the rack. Can't call this JDM it will have to be AMG and can't be ricer has to be schnitzel!!!
If your rack is mounted correctly (like on my sedan/all sedans), it should handle 110 lbs safely in the early model years. I can only assume it means the later the edition of your rack, the better the load quantity.

The system I've seen used for the G because we don't have mounting rails is the Q-tower base system with a 48" bar. These have a rubber bottom on them, but they still leave behind a nasty film after a summer of being on top of the car. They can be pulled off your car if you don't want them any more and put on to any other car.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting ready to sell my cargo van which I currently use to transport my kayak. I often wondered about a rack for the G. This may be the answer to my prayers. Is anyone doing this currently? If so, what set up are you using? I have a fairly heavy tandem sit on top Wilderness Systems Yak.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Snickelfritz
I am getting ready to sell my cargo van which I currently use to transport my kayak. I often wondered about a rack for the G. This may be the answer to my prayers. Is anyone doing this currently? If so, what set up are you using? I have a fairly heavy tandem sit on top Wilderness Systems Yak.
I have been thinking about a hitch and small trailer modified to transport my Kayak with the G35. No chance of damaging the paint that way. For you...you could tow your Yak and some gear. Harbour Freight has small trailers for less that $200.00. Your tandem must be pretty long also. Mine is a 12 ft eddyline which is made of Carbonlite and weights 41 lbs.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by Snickelfritz
I did a bunch of research before I got mine an I ended up going with a genesis coupe setup: 48inch cross bars and Q46 clips. Kind of a pain lining everything up and making sure all is tight enough because it's not actually made for our car but I've had it on for a few months now and seems to be holding up. Hope that helps.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Directions to where you purchased all the parts? And what parts exactly?

Originally Posted by goldempyre
so for everyone who wants to add roof racks to your g35 it is possible just added mine a couple days ago and must say I'm happy with them, spent a pretty penny for them but was worth it. ill post the details of what to to get. I currently have the Yakima roof racks.
Directions to where you purchased all the parts? And what parts exactly?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: YAKIMA roof rack