G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New G35 owner :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New G35 owner :)

After much consideration, probably a year, and about 4 months of looking I bought an 06 G35 Coupe. This comes after a long time owning an Acura Legend 6MT Coupe, which after so many blown head gaskets and heater core failures across 7 Legends, I was just tired of trying to "restore" to decent condition.

Anyway, liking the G35, although for a 5AT, I am finding that the ratios at top are VERY short for highway cruising. Was thinking of getting the 6MT, but I abuse the hell out of stick shift cars, run them to redline at almost every take off.

Anyway, just wondering what I can do to reduce the reflection coming off the shifter console trim? Mine is aluminum. It took me FOREVER to find one of these cars in good shape; had to drive 7 hours just to get it, on the drive home I found the reflection in the midday sun is driving me nuts. Perhaps there is a wood trim option from the sedan that can "solve" this issue without putting $hitty looking appliques on a car...I hate non-factory options

Also, looking for a bit more kick in power, I searched and read about plenum upgrades, 5/16th inch spacer being the most ideal solution for the auto G35 VQ35DE. Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated though, thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:19 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
5/16 spacer, z-tube, exhaust, some sort of high flow air filter or CAI and get a plug change and you'll be happy with the power. Then you can get a tune and be more happy if you'd like.

Lightening the drive train/rotating mass will help a lot too, but some come with a comfort trade off. Light weight clutch, lightened pulleys, aluminum drive shaft, lighter wheels, etc.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Welcome to Driver!

Simple solution, when you have over head sun that's reflecting off your console close your sun roof shade. Living in SoCal I've never had reflection bother me, just the heat. Motordyne's 5/16" spacer has always been the best bang for your buck! Most of the restriction in your exhaust is the OE cats, replace them with HFCs (high flow cats) that way you're legal in at least 48 states. Between the spacer/hfcs you'll pickup measurable WHP. Intakes offer zero gains in HP just a sound change. Lightweight pulleys aren't recommended, plugs aren't generally replaced until you reach the 100K mile platu...Gary

Last edited by gary c; 04-28-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:40 PM
The Z has 5 more hp than the G because of the intake tube. Ridding your intake/exhaust of turbulent air helps pickup lost hp.

Personally I think changing or removing your cats is socially irresponsible if its yer DD, but that's yer call I guess.

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 04-28-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:42 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
"Run to redline at every takeoff"

Wanna know how I know you're a honda guy?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:12 AM
Honda guy, give me a break The 93-95 Legend Coupe had a pretty potent 3.2L V6, which I swapped the bottom end with the 3.5L out of the RL, coupled with the 6 speed it was plenty quick; I think I would save that kind of comment for a Civic/Integra owner Though I agree that Honda doesn't tend to design engines with low end power, I HATE that...though the 2008+ Accord V6 6MT was somehow more impressive than even the G35, must be geared just right, who knows.

I definitely like the sentiments from the previous comments though, as when/if I modify a car, I like it to be basically invisible. I am OEM all the way, as I think the factory got most of the car right, especially the exterior styling and wheels...if they had not, I would not have bought the car. So, spacer, z-tube, and possibly some high-flow cats, sounds like a plan. Also, I am with whoever said removing the cats is irresponsible, I agree, but high-flow cats seems like a good compromise.

As far as the reflection from the aluminum shift console, I suppose I can figure something out, it sure is blinding, I can see the reflection on my roof, and of course I have my sunroof visor closed Maybe some of you guys don't drive at the same time of day, between about 10am-3pm, it's right in my eyes. Anybody have any pictures of the wood trim (I am guessing only the sedan came with it). Might be a neat swap to make, reminds me of my Legend; I am sure the aluminum gets all the "coolness" points but wood done right looks classy.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 03:11 AM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts
^ GTFO dude! Go post that where it belongs...

Old 04-29-2014, 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by Ogee
^ GTFO dude! Go post that where it belongs...
^Hahahahaha you mean we don't just want random questions and info in random places?

The following users liked this post:
Ogee (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Op sounds like you got some good things planned for your car.
Congrats and welcome

Old 05-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Love this car...but

So as you all perhaps remember, I bought my 06 G35 Coupe with 52k miles on it just a few days ago. I never thought I would say this, but, I LOVE driving this car...it has power in ALL the right places (ok, it could use a little more in the mid) but it feels like a V8 off the line, and it pulls like my old Type II Legend Coupe in the top end. More than that though, the transmission, the A/T, is just perfect (well, for an AT), and the handling is just so much better than so many cars I have driven or owned. Naturally, this gets me thinking, as I can actually afford to get into a G37, could the G37 be even better? More power, better interior, ok, not as attractive an exterior (which is kind of a big thing) but maybe better in enough other areas that may make up for that?

My G35 is basically like a new car, owned by a sweet older lady that cherished it, and I drove 420 miles to get it, so I am not thrilled about getting rid of it, but, I am wondering if modding the G35 with the usual suspects: 5/16" spacer, z-tube, better filter, maybe high flow cats, might get me close to the G37 in terms of being as quick. One thing I know for sure is that "being faster" and "feeling faster" can be totally different things, as my Type I Legend "felt" more powerful because it had more immediate and useable torque and power, I absolutely hated driving the Type II, even though it was technically faster, it just didn't get going when you really needed it (that low end torque feel). Just curious what you all think about the 2 cars. I would normally just go drive a G37, but, the closest one is 150miles from me, not the easiest thing to do.

Also, curious, between the A/T's, I notice that there is a lot of talk about the 7AT and the 5AT in the G37, most people citing that the 5AT is more responsive. That is hugely important to me, not FEELING sluggish in the low end. Is the 5AT the trans to go for the most responsive feel? Just curious, not sure if I really want to flip the G35 for the G37, but if I am ruminating this much over it, it's probably worth asking about.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Anybody have a wood shift console?

Perhaps this belongs in the Marketplace section but I was wondering if anybody has a wood shift console and ash tray? This aluminum, which looks great, is reflecting right in my eyes while driving in midday sun, I was thinking of trying the wood console as a sort of "factory" solution, I know that NOBODY likes the wood interior, but, I don't mind it, in fact it might be a neat accent that is more functional for me. Either way, I cannot even seem to find pictures of the factory wood trim (so far I have found only one picture) so, I am just curious if anyone might have more pictures, or may even be looking to get rid of theirs.