G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Full wrap vinyl help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Full wrap vinyl help

Hello guys !!! I'm trying to full wrap my g35 and I'm trying to do it myself ..any idea how many inch I will need and where I can buy it ?? Any quote how much it will cost ??

The following users liked this post:
RURUsSnowbunny (01-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AJ/g35s
Hello guys !!! I'm trying to full wrap my g35 and I'm trying to do it myself ..any idea how many inch I will need and where I can buy it ?? Any quote how much it will cost ??
Full wrap is about $2,200 -$2,500 to do correctly by a shop.

Full wrap is about $1,200 - $1,500 in materials depending on where you buy.

Time wise I'd recommend a full day to do it. In a garage or somewhere where there's little/no dust/dirt floating around. Ambient temperature over 75 degrees F and little to no humidity.

Tools: Squeegee, hair dryer (or heat gun but be careful), razor blade, squirt bottle with water/soap solution, hard plastic card (same one you see in Advance Auto the yellow one), LOTS AND LOTS OF PATIENCE, and a small needle to poke holes in the air bubbles that you can't get rid of.

Compact Car Full Wrap: 60in x 40ft (1.52m x 12.2m) 200 sq/ft. Examples: Neon, Focus, Impala , Civic, Mazda3, Golf TDI, Audi A3, BMW E36 and Mercedes C-Class.

Standard Car Full Wrap: 60in x 50ft (1.52m x 15.2m) 250 sq/ft. Examples: Charger, Viper, Trailblazer SS, Corvette, Mazda6, BMW 745, Range Rover, Porsche 911 and all sedans and coupes.

Deluxe Truck Full Wrap: 60in x 65ft (1.52m x 19.8m) 325 sq/ft. Examples: Escalade, Expedition, Mercedes GL, Dodge Ram and H2 Hummer.

To give yourself some practice, start small, doing interior pieces, vinyl wrap your plastic trip pieces, anything that doesn't have a lot of curves, and get used to the material and how it stretches when heated. You'll quickly learn when it gets too hot it can deform and stretch out too much and look like ***. I'm actually going to be re-wrapping my interior pieces with some 3M. I'll do a DIY if the results are good. I mentioned this in a different thread already.

The following users liked this post:
AJ/g35s (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for taking the time to write this informative response. I do have one question ... Do u know where can I buy it ?? If you can please included link if you have or names of store . I trying to do it outside in my yard will give it try buy doing my roof black matte and go from there. Thanks again

Old 05-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
Those prices seem a little high I would say its about 1k-1.5k to get it done by a shop. To do it yourself its more around 300-600 depending on the vinyl and the amout of material.

Check out autovinylsolutions.com

Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
$2,000 is on the high side, but it's also for quality work. In the areas around me I've seen prices go as low as $1,800 and go to as high as $3,000 for a full car wrap. Unfortunately it depends on the shop and the quality of the materials. I've seen some shops go for inexpensive wrap, do a job for $2,200 and it looked like crap. I've seen shops do it for as little as $1,500 and it looked great. It depends on who's doing it, how much time they've taken to do it right and what material they use. Not all vinyl is created equal.

Never worked with autovinylsolutions nor have I heard of them so I can't say that they are good or bad. From what I can tell, their vinyl is a little on the cheaper side. Approximately $900 for materials + S/H. Given that you'll want to buy approximately 275 sq feet for your first ever full car wrap. Also it'll give you a lot extra to work with. Approximately 25-30 extra square feet of vinyl which is good in case you screw up.

Good idea starting with the roof. Easiest thing to do is measure it out L x W and then add 20% onto that number. You'll always want an extra 1/5 of material in each direction at least for trimming purposes.

Not to say you can't vinyl wrap a car for $500, but the issue I've seen most often is people underestimate how much they need as well as cheap out on quality vinyl for the cheaper stuff just to get it done. The result is vinyl that shrinks, tears easily, or fades quickly. If you want to start small, the roof is a great place + interior pieces. I'm still waiting on mine to come in next week. By then I'll do a write up on how to sand, prep, apply, stretch, and set up vinyl.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am doing it too, and I JUST ordered everything needed:

- 5ft x 80ft of vinyl. Thats roughly double what I need but for the price and for trial and error extras as well as for potential fixes I got the bigger roll. $300

- 5ft x 10ft of CF vinyl for the hood/trims/maybe trunk. May need more of this if I decide to do the trunk. $65

- Tools. Primer/sealer/squeegees/heat gun/knifeless tape/etc. Approximately $100

So all together it came out to about $500, including all the extras. I am planning to develop a skill and practice untill I can charge for the work.

I ordered Vvivid brand as opposed to, say, 3M or Oracal, which would have added another $400 - $500 to the cost of materials. I did not find any reviews of the brand, but could not pass up the price for practice.

OP - did you do it?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rollaspeed1
I am doing it too, and I JUST ordered everything needed:

- 5ft x 80ft of vinyl. Thats roughly double what I need but for the price and for trial and error extras as well as for potential fixes I got the bigger roll. $300

- 5ft x 10ft of CF vinyl for the hood/trims/maybe trunk. May need more of this if I decide to do the trunk. $65

- Tools. Primer/sealer/squeegees/heat gun/knifeless tape/etc. Approximately $100

So all together it came out to about $500, including all the extras. I am planning to develop a skill and practice untill I can charge for the work.

I ordered Vvivid brand as opposed to, say, 3M or Oracal, which would have added another $400 - $500 to the cost of materials. I did not find any reviews of the brand, but could not pass up the price for practice.

OP - did you do it?
I prefer 3m over most brands. Ive had issues with oracle literally tearing when it bonded to itself during repositioning. 3m seems to just be easier to apply, reposition & has great stretch. Just my 2cents. Cheap vinyl is typically really, really thin which means literally every spec of dust shows up and is amplified on the material, it will tear if stretched too much & generally has a poor adhesive backing from my own experience.

You should be able to do a normal size car like ours for $600 in just about anything other than di-noc. Ive done my hood, roof & trunk in your standard matte black but would like to re-do it in a satin black finish.