G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Lowjack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowjack

Hey everyone is Lowjack worth the extra cost, I didn't get it but the dealer said I could come back in 5 days if I wanted to.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Like they would kick you out at 10 days, or 20, or 100. A sale is a sale. Don't limit yourself. Get a price from a couple of shops too@

Old 02-13-2005, 12:14 PM
I got LoJack as soon as I could when I bought my G35.
My previous car was a IS300, and it was stolen out of the driveway. The car was recovered 10 days later but there was little left. Appeared to be a professional job.

So will LoJack keep the car from being stolen? No. The same thing could happen again. My intention is to use LoJack to enable the police to catch the criminal in the act of stripping the car.

The install of the device took about 20 minutes and they did it in the parking lot where I work.

The device was about $500. No monthly or yearly charges. And although not all insurance companies offer it, my insurance company gives me a discount for having the device. About $25 a month I think.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I bought the G, I let the dealership sucker me into paying the $700 for a LoJack install. And right now, I'm glad I let them. Yes, it won't prevent the car from being stolen, but the Early Warning Recovery System gives me piece of mind.

Within 15 minutes of the car being moved, I'll be notified on my work, cell, and home telephone and even e-mailed at work and at home to notify me what has happened. Granted, it won't notify me in enough time for me to run out to the car to catch the bastards stealing the car, but knowing that it's been stolen in that short amount of time GREATLY reduces the chances of you finding the car stripped. Whereas, if I didn't have the detection system, it could be hours or days before I see my car is missing (I have a beater as my daily driver), allowing the bastards enough time to strip it.

And the cops use it, so I'm not the one stuck having to encounter the thieves myself.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:40 PM
I was asking about lojack at my local car audio installer. The technician said that they commonly see the lojack units during an audio install. This makes me think that sometimes the lojack installers don't always do a good job of hiding the unit.

If a thief with skills like the audio technician can find and disable the unit in less than 30 minutes then I have to question if lojack is worth it. I'm still thinking about installing it, not sure what to do.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:08 PM
I was told by my installation technician that the key to the effectiveness of the LoJack is being discrete. He stated that the unit is not installed in a common location on any one particular model. And I am sure we can understand that the skill of any two technicians are not going to be absolutely equal. So this would lend itself to experienced audiophiles seeing some redundancy.

Also the unit I got comes equipped with a battery. The battery is rated to last for 48 hours.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by BendzWheel
I was told by my installation technician that the key to the effectiveness of the LoJack is being discrete. He stated that the unit is not installed in a common location on any one particular model. And I am sure we can understand that the skill of any two technicians are not going to be absolutely equal. So this would lend itself to experienced audiophiles seeing some redundancy.

Also the unit I got comes equipped with a battery. The battery is rated to last for 48 hours.
sounds reasonable to me. I did ask if the box was labeled (like does it say lojack on it...) and the answer was no (a good think i think). Perhaps, being discrete may also mean not using a lojack sticker on the side of your car as well?

I'm still considering the early warning system, but it seems I always get the jitters about the car being stolen at first. Every new car I've bought I always seem to convince myself that its a high risk car... everywhere I park i usually see BMW's and other cars that would be in the same category.. perhaps its wishful thinking that a thief would go for a 3 or a 5 series before a G....

Old 02-14-2005, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by jimmyshaker
When I bought the G, I let the dealership sucker me into paying the $700 for a LoJack install. And right now, I'm glad I let them. Yes, it won't prevent the car from being stolen, but the Early Warning Recovery System gives me piece of mind. ...
jimmyshaker,

My wife has her 05 CPE 6MT on order and we were quoted $620 for a basic Lojak install. We got a great price on the car, but sounds as if the price being quoted for the Lojack may be high. Your paying $700 for the Early Warning Recovery System where if the car is moved they E-mail. page, call, etc, sounds like I need to shop some more. Thanks for the info.