G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Emissions Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emissions Failure

HI All
Few days ago I took my wife's 06 g35x to get emissions tested. I haven't driven her car in a long time but I noticed that the service engine soon light was on. Her call failed the test on the paperwork showed a code P0011 "A" Camshaft Position- Timing Over Advanced or System Performance Bank 1. I also had auto zone run a diagnostic test and they found the same codeP0011, they told me that the camshaft position sensor need to be replaced but they didn't know which one. I am assuming its Bank 1 because in the emissons failure report it said Bank 1.
Has anyone had this problem and is it possible to clean the sensor out or does it have to be replaced?

Thanks

Last edited by LS06g35x; 07-15-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Replace em both. Fairly simple job.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Cleaning the sensors won't get the job done, replace both sensors...best idea. If your car hasn't been driven for a while I suggest you drive it for 25 miles to heat up the cats, makes passing emission test guaranteed!
Gary

The following users liked this post:
SD350GT (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Cleaning the sensors won't get the job done, replace both sensors...best idea. If your car hasn't been driven for a while I suggest you drive it for 25 miles to heat up the cats, makes passing emission test guaranteed!
Gary
I haven't needed to try this with my G, but, running a denatured ethanol mix, while going in "hot" will guarantee a pass also. I have used this on a couple of previous vehicles.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Why don't you guys just run clean cars? Haha my last smog test (about 6 months ago) was

HO: 0.00
NOx: 0.02
CO: 0.00

Old 07-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Why don't you guys just run clean cars? Haha my last smog test (about 6 months ago) was

HO: 0.00
NOx: 0.02
CO: 0.00
The reason I had to do this was mainly because of the swap I had in my Civic, and my Audi came from another state without the CA standard smog equipment. I got a D16ZC from Japan with like 80,000 Kilometers, and that engine is not available in the US, so it wouldn't pass US emission standards. But, there are plenty of reasons one might not pass emissions, even in newer vehicles. These may include running too rich, vacuum leaks, carbon build-up, etc... This is usually very common in modified vehicles, because you are changing things that were originally put there specifically to pass emissions standards.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by SD350GT
The reason I had to do this was mainly because of the swap I had in my Civic, and my Audi came from another state without the CA standard smog equipment. I got a D16ZC from Japan with like 80,000 Kilometers, and that engine is not available in the US, so it wouldn't pass US emission standards. But, there are plenty of reasons one might not pass emissions, even in newer vehicles. These may include running too rich, vacuum leaks, carbon build-up, etc... This is usually very common in modified vehicles, because you are changing things that were originally put there specifically to pass emissions standards.
Well, yeah, but you fix/clean it so that its all gravy.

Getting cars from other states or countries to CA tho...hmm..not sure I'd wanna go thru all that. Haha

Old 07-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Well, yeah, but you fix/clean it so that its all gravy.

Getting cars from other states or countries to CA tho...hmm..not sure I'd wanna go thru all that. Haha
I didn't mean to imply I did the work for getting it here, there is a local shop here in SD that specializes in purchasing engines and trannies from Japan. From what the shop guys told me, in Japan, there is a mandate that when you hit 80,000 Kilometers, they have to swap a new engine in. I think it has something to do with THEIR smog standards. And, as for the Audi, I bought it from somebody who moved here from out of state.

I guess what they said was wrong: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/japanmotor.html , but not entirely.

Last edited by SD350GT; 07-16-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Link for background
Old 07-16-2014, 04:10 PM
I know what yer talking about. I have a friend who swaps engines it for his friends all the time and that's where he gets his vtech motors. Obviously he's a Honda guy. He was saying the same thing about the mileage and strict smog..

Old 07-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
A P0011 has nothing to do with the camshaft position sensors. That is a generic code read-out,the p0011 is for intake valve timing control and this code normally pops up due to low oil level. If your oil level is ok then the intake valve timing solenoid on bank 1 is probably not working properly. There are 2 of these solenoids both are mounted at the front of each valve cover with 3 bolts holding each one on. Hope this helps guys.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Another possibility for not passing emissions, not having CARB stickers for mods like intakes and headers. Forget trying to pass tests with HFCs or test pipes, it won't happen!
Gary

Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Another possibility for not passing emissions, not having CARB stickers for mods like intakes and headers. Forget trying to pass tests with HFCs or test pipes, it won't happen!
Gary
True, but that is the visual, we're talking about the emissions (sniff).

Old 07-21-2014, 02:17 PM
True, but that is the visual, we're talking about the emissions (sniff).
You can pass the sniffer test and still fail without CARB stickers for mods like CAI and headers. There are other areas where the new STAR CA. tests could get chicken **** but I won't post them for our own good!
Gary

Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM
You can pass the sniffer test and still fail without CARB stickers for mods like CAI and headers. There are other areas where the new STAR CA. tests could get chicken **** but I won't post them for our own good!
Gary
I know what you're saying. We are saying the same thing. Smog is two-fold; First is the Visual inspection, where they look and see if you have the proper equipment, and if it is C.A.R.B. legal. (This is where the stickers could cause a fail). The Second is, the actual emissions test, where they throw the sniffer in your exhaust. (This is where running alcohol and coming in hot will make the difference).

Old 07-21-2014, 02:37 PM
I don't understand the CAI thing. I mean, as long as you have a MAF sensor plugged in and you pass the sniff, what's the deal? That's air going in, not coming out. Nothing to do with smog (other than the MAF).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Emissions Failure