G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 totaled =/ Transplant into new G or?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 06:33 AM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Audi's are over engineered, and prices for parts and service is extremely high. That being said, they have come around in reliability and last year were rated #2 by Consumer Reports for most dependable vehicle. Also, Forbes rated the 2008-2009 Audi A3 as the number one choice for Teens for it's long term reliability and low insurance, and fun to drive. Just saying the Audi's are not all bad.

Yes, the motor mounts are liquid filled, and if they leak you will need new ones. But there are some good aftermarket ones made by 034 Motorsports which have no fluid and are better than stock. Just saying, when/if they go, there are options.

Pretty much everything about the Audi A5/S5 is over engineered, but better than the G35.
Headlights have the Audi trademark LED light strip, instead of a light strip with one bulb on one end.
Recaro seats with Nappa Leather (S5 option) are tons better that the G35 with the standard tear in the drivers seat.
Paint is much harder and durable, won't rock chip as easy.
Moonroof is much bigger in Audi, but does not slide back, only "pops up".
Quattro option is a better AWD system than the G35X. Still weighs a lot.
S5 will be a 4.2 V8 or supercharged 3.0V6, much better than the 3.5V6.
A5 will be a turbo 2.0 4cylinder, but can stage three upgrade to over 350hp. However, stock the 4 banger feels under powered compared to a G.
Pretty much everything interior in the Audi is superior the G, fit, finish, feel of all components is much better.
You're probably looking for a manual, but the 6 speed Tiptronic with paddle shifters and Sport Mode is way better than the 5AT.
Gas mileage is about the same for the S5/G35 (for me), mid to low twenties, but with a 2.0T A5 you could get high twenties on the highway.

Don't get me wrong, I love my G35 and it's a great daily driver, but my 2010 S5 is much better.. but then again it costs 3 times as much as the G so it better be.

For 12K, you should be able to find a nice, low mileage, will maintained G in your area. That's about what I paid for mine a few months ago with 44K miles.
Will need to add several thousand to the that for an A5, and double/triple it for a used S5.
I would at least go test drive a good, low mileage, used A5, S Line, with Quattro. Just to be sure.

Last edited by Hatchman; 12-30-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
The audi awd system is better! Its just when the get mileage and 10 yrs old problems come up. I like the a8 all aluminum body! Yes the paint is better but alot harder paint. You have to use waxes that will burn up infiniti paint! I loved my a6! Just cost of maintenance is high very high!Theyare loaded with every option available. Some you can use a lot use just once. I love my g35 and would buy another one. I would buy another Audi it would have to be very new or brand new.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hatchman
Audi's are over engineered, and prices for parts and service is extremely high. That being said, they have come around in reliability and last year were rated #2 by Consumer Reports for most dependable vehicle. Also, Forbes rated the 2008-2009 Audi A3 as the number one choice for Teens for it's long term reliability and low insurance, and fun to drive. Just saying the Audi's are not all bad.

Yes, the motor mounts are liquid filled, and if they leak you will need new ones. But there are some good aftermarket ones made by 034 Motorsports which have no fluid and are better than stock. Just saying, when/if they go, there are options.

Pretty much everything about the Audi A5/S5 is over engineered, but better than the G35.
Headlights have the Audi trademark LED light strip, instead of a light strip with one bulb on one end.
Recaro seats with Nappa Leather (S5 option) are tons better that the G35 with the standard tear in the drivers seat.
Paint is much harder and durable, won't rock chip as easy.
Moonroof is much bigger in Audi, but does not slide back, only "pops up".
Quattro option is a better AWD system than the G35X. Still weighs a lot.
S5 will be a 4.2 V8 or supercharged 3.0V6, much better than the 3.5V6.
A5 will be a turbo 2.0 4cylinder, but can stage three upgrade to over 350hp. However, stock the 4 banger feels under powered compared to a G.
Pretty much everything interior in the Audi is superior the G, fit, finish, feel of all components is much better.
You're probably looking for a manual, but the 6 speed Tiptronic with paddle shifters and Sport Mode is way better than the 5AT.
Gas mileage is about the same for the S5/G35 (for me), mid to low twenties, but with a 2.0T A5 you could get high twenties on the highway.

Don't get me wrong, I love my G35 and it's a great daily driver, but my 2010 S5 is much better.. but then again it costs 3 times as much as the G so it better be.

For 12K, you should be able to find a nice, low mileage, will maintained G in your area. That's about what I paid for mine a few months ago with 44K miles.
Will need to add several thousand to the that for an A5, and double/triple it for a used S5.
I would at least go test drive a good, low mileage, used A5, S Line, with Quattro. Just to be sure.
The best price for a S5 under100k miles I found in my area was $26k. I also talked to a mechanic who services all types of cars including German cars and he said he wouldn't buy one for himself and if I got one it should be new or like new with something left in the warranty.

It pretty much goes with what you're saying man. I think a good Audi can be found but to have to spend another $14k compared to a G35 or $8k for a G37, I just can't go with a used Audi. And of course can't afford new right now. Isn't it nice not having a car payment?? haha

Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by Gman56
The audi awd system is better! Its just when the get mileage and 10 yrs old problems come up. I like the a8 all aluminum body! Yes the paint is better but alot harder paint. You have to use waxes that will burn up infiniti paint! I loved my a6! Just cost of maintenance is high very high!Theyare loaded with every option available. Some you can use a lot use just once. I love my g35 and would buy another one. I would buy another Audi it would have to be very new or brand new.
A8 or A6 would be real nice but cha ching $$$

Old 01-02-2015, 01:50 AM
Anyone know when the G line, I know its a different name now or the Audi 5 line will be completely redesigned??