G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

dented my rear quarter panel: suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dented my rear quarter panel: suggestions?

Hey guys I dented & scraped my Rear Right side

Its dented in pretty bad and has paint scrapes
was a parking lot incident

I don't mind the paint as I was going to paint the whole car, was saving money for it
But now this Dent is not letting me sleep at night.. its right where the crease is for the rear wheel arch and from the side it looks caved in... called one PDR guy and he said they cant do it cause of the paint damage & the location of the damage

and I have to pay for it from my pocket because my Insurance wont cover it
any suggestions on what I should do.. live with the dent and sort it out when I repaint my car or get the dent fixed now and push back repaint for another year

any DIY to make it better?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you haven't ever messed with doing body repairs, sheet metal wise, I wouldn't try to take it upon yourself to attempt it. The newer sheet metal on these cars is pretty flimsy and likes to tin can really easy (stretch to far when damaged and would need to be shrunk), by how it looks where your damage is on the wheel well, your outer wheel house is also going to be damage and pushed in. It will have to be pulled first (typically we would put it on the frame machine, doesn't have to go on there just makes the pulls easier) then you would have to grind all the paint off so you could use the dent puller to get both the body line and the curve back. It will probably end up having body filler from mid arch almost up to the door and since there is a buckle at the upper body line it would go from a little above it down to the rocker. I would say take it to a shop ad get a estimate to fix the quarter, typically with that damage they will blend the door also so that would be 2 panels already painted

Old 01-02-2015, 02:42 PM
You could also have the shop give you a quote on the entire repaint while it's at the shop, that way you don't pay twice on certain procedures like taking the door apart and pulling bumper/taillight.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Leave it alone. Fix it all now or just wait to have it fixed when you paint the car. Dents don't get pulled on a frame machine. A body shop will pull the dent, filler and sand, prime and paint it. A reputable place will not do half the work. Also, I'm sure most on here will agree that driving around with a primered repair just looks bad, worse than just having a scrape and a dent.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:18 PM
The dent won't get pulled on the frame, not what I said. I was talking about the piece behind the quarter, If you look at the second picture at the actually "wheel house area" not the outer quarter panel, the lip is flared out, it doesn't run flat with the rest of the wheel house. In terms it typically means there is outer wheel house damage (not the quarter panel skin, the actual structure behind it) it will need pulled first for the quarter to be repaired properly and not just loaded up with body filler.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
@denwalt87: Thanks for the info, any idea on the Price range for such a job. I'm hoping I can get it done for $500 or less then I would still be on track with my Repaint plans

Got a few quotes online under $500 but they seem kinda shady, going to go out this weekend and try to find some body shops in my area that will give me a quote in-person

Old 01-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Sorry man, a reputable shop would probably be over $500, but what you would have to consider is it will be done correct and not a hack job. A ball park guess, "I'm just guessing" would be around $1000 +- I don't wtite estimates I just repair the cars.

That's figuring blending the door so the color will match, probably 6-8repair time on the quarter, 1hr pull time for the wheel house, and taking the door apart for paint and removing the rear bumper, taillight and rocker molding.
Body shop rates typically vary from shop to shop as well as tax rates, shouldn't have to replace any parts by how it looks so that a plus. I would be interested in knowing what your estimate comes up to see how close or far off I was though. Good luck with the hole process.

Like I also mentioned though you might ask them how they would charge for the hole repaint and might work a deal with you since they are already dealing with the 2 panels already.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:19 PM
By the way, just future info to consider, online quotes (& some in person quotes) will be stupid low so they can get the job in the shop and once it's taken apart they will hit you with a bill for double or triple the cost, some shops are crooks, that why I mention take it to a reputable shop. Sometimes there is hidden damage ( damage that can't be seen before tear down, doesn't look like you will have any "beside for possible wheel house damage" but then again I'm looking at pictures online)

When you have it looked at, if its not on the estimate ask them about the wheel house repair and blending the door so it matches correctly. Also keep in mind if there not saying they need to R&I (remove and install for paint) certain things there could be rough edges and tape lines that you will POSSIBLY see when the job is done

Old 01-03-2015, 12:29 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
mmmm. no. i owned and ran a bodyshop for 7 years. there is no structure behind the quarter, just the inner wheel housing which doesn't look pushed in from the pics. there is no hidden damage on this kind of job. the quarter lip will pull out when the dent is pulled and a good bodyshop will hammer and dolly it into shape before paint. the mild push that runs up to the belt line will also come out once the main dent is pulled, but will not be perfect and needs to be worked as well. as for everything else, you are spot on.

the point i was trying to make is that this is a $1200-$1500 job. op, if you go into this half arsed, your car will still look like crap. have it fixed right or don't do anything at all until you get the car in for your paint job. you're going to pay for painting 1/4 to 1/3 or the car anyway.

Last edited by speedracerg35; 01-03-2015 at 12:35 AM.